• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Atheist"--the term itself

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And why does a-gnostic exactly, without a doubt, only translate to "Lack of knowledge in God or gods"?
It doesn't mean that, actually, but we can say that "agnostic" has a precise meaning. This is because the term was coined relatively recently by one specific person (T.H. Huxley) who spelled out explicitly and in great detail exactly what his new word meant.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
It doesn't mean that, actually, but we can say that "agnostic" has a precise meaning. This is because the term was coined relatively recently by one specific person (T.H. Huxley) who spelled out explicitly and in great detail exactly what his new word meant.
Agnostic means person with no knowledge. There's nothing in the word suggesting it's about God or gods.

prometheus11

Agnostic means person with no knowledge. There's nothing in the word suggesting it's about God or gods.

No.

Gnosis: knowledge of spiritual mysteries. (This may or may not involve a "God")

The agnostic does not claim to KNOW spiritual things. (But agnostics CAN believe in spiritual things and/or gods).

It's why agnosticism is completely different from atheism despite guffaws and handwavings.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Have you ever actually read how Huxley defined the term?

Here you go:

http://infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/sn-huxley.html

The term "agnostic" was meant to contrast it to "Gnostic" in the religious sense. It applies to gods, but also applies more broadly as a philosophy that can be used in all areas of life. It's fairly close to how "skeptic" is used today.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Have you ever actually read how Huxley defined the term?

Here you go:

http://infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/sn-huxley.html

The term "agnostic" was meant to contrast it to "Gnostic" in the religious sense. It applies to gods, but also applies more broadly as a philosophy that can be used in all areas of life. It's fairly close to how "skeptic" is used today.
Yes, if you go by the definitions given to the word beyond what the root words themselves describe. As I understand it, gnosis is the nominative case of the word for "Knowledge" in Greek. Nothing more. Nothing less. In religious and spiritual sense, and even in philosophy, it means things more than just "knowledge". This is why we can't go to the root words only to understand the meaning of a word, but have to look at the usage, dictionary, and such. The same goes for "atheist". It's not enough to just look at the word and extract some exact meaning of the word from its root words, but it has to be looked at from the usage and dictionaries, both contemporary and historically.

ThirtyThree

That's one way to admit you won't show where my statements were wrong, I guess.

Gnosis deals with spiritual knowledge. Some people claim to have spiritual knowledge: Gnostics.

Theism deals with belief in a god.

I don't claim to have any spiritual knowledge, so I'm agnostic.

On a related, but separate issue, I don't believe in any gods at this time. So I'm an atheist.

Not all women are mothers, and not all agnostics are atheists.

Agnostic also referred once to the nature of God being unknowable.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The term is problematic for many reasons (I assume we will get into those reasons, here), but it shouldn't be.

The term refers to a state of "notness," similar to the term "sober." It's the natural, an affected state. The default.
That is an interesting assumption, one that I'm not sure is founded.

prometheus11

That is an interesting assumption, one that I'm not sure is founded.

Did you understand the analogy with the word "sober?" It's the "not impaired" default. Same thing with atheism. Just like the default is not stamp collecting. The default is not the hobby of stamp collecting.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Conditions can be default. Consider a recliner and its default condition/position. I'm sure there are better examples.
A recliner has a default because it has a number of different states that it can be in. Not so of humans. Atheism is reserved until the clear contrast is made, when a person has learned about this "god" thing. Atheism comes into the picture when "god"-thing creates alternatives.

prometheus11

A recliner has a default because it has a number of different states that it can be in. Not so of humans. Atheism is reserved until the clear contrast is made, when a person has learned about this "god" thing. Atheism comes into the picture when "god"-thing creates alternatives.

Depends on which definition of atheism you consider most accurate. If, like most atheists and a beak down of the root word, prefix, and suffix imply, it is "without..god...belief," then it's the default position because you have to learn about god(s) in order to consider and believe in them. Babies, with no concept of God, lack belief in him.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Depends on which definition of atheism you consider most accurate. If, like most atheists and a beak down of the root word, prefix, and suffix imply, it is "without..god...belief," then it's the default position because you have to learn about god(s) in order to consider and believe in them. Babies, with no concept of God, lack belief in him.
If you think atheism is a default you're saying people can be born believing in "god." I disagree.