• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is nothing subjective about whether a model you have correctly predicts what is going to happen out in the world of rocks and things we can measure. It either does or it doesn't, and we can tell which using measurements.

In this context, that is what 'utility' means.

Well, I have another understanding of that word. But yes, in the narrow sense as you use it, I get the point.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well, we are playing objective, inter-subjective and subjective again.

No, no... Not "we".

It's YOU who's "playing".

Take a stone, a piece of rock. It is tangible, you can observe it, it has dimensions and other measurements. Now do the same with utility.
So tell, what is it tactile feel, what is it color, temperatur, weight and so no.
See? Nobody here insinuated these things are in the same category.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well, it is not solipist. It is just that it is subjective for the word succes as it unlike other words have no referent that is external sensory based.
Reality is in practice for some aspects obejctive, other inter-subjective and yet others subjective.
That is all.
There's nothing subjective about it.

Some methods of inquiry yield more reliable results then others. And the track record is the evidence.

When you use evidence to figure out how things work and use those findings to build a car, it will drive.
If you ignore evidence to figure out how things work and use those findings to build a car, it will not drive. It might explode instead.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There's nothing subjective about it.

Some methods of inquiry yield more reliable results then others. And the track record is the evidence.

When you use evidence to figure out how things work and use those findings to build a car, it will drive.
If you ignore evidence to figure out how things work and use those findings to build a car, it will not drive. It might explode instead.

But whether a car matters to you and if it matters to you that it works, is subjective.

You can't make all of the world facts with objective evidence. Only a part of it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You say "correct" and then go on to repeat the same nonsense. :shrug:

Yeah, that emoji references an objective fact that has nothing to do with your brain.

As for nonsense that is the same as any other physical fact or force like gravity. So just as if you deny gravity it can kill you. I denied the physical force of nonsense and now I am dead. ;)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yeah, that emoji references an objective fact that has nothing to do with your brain.

As for nonsense that is the same as any other physical fact or force like gravity. So just as if you deny gravity it can kill you. I denied the physical force of nonsense and now I am dead. ;)
It must be fun living in your head.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yes, and just as with gravity as the example above I am now dead. That is how reality works and that is an objective fact. Subjectivity kills you. ;)
Your mind works in extremely mysterious ways.
Do you even remember what the original point was before you got triggered into your default go-to nonsense?
I don't think you do.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Your mind works in extremely mysterious ways.
Do you even remember what the original point was before you got triggered into your default go-to nonsense?
I don't think you do.

Well, you point is that you like science. So do I. I am using it right now. But I don't claim it is good as in effect so objectively. That is all.

Btw it was about solipism, reality and all that.
And in effect that leads to what we know, how we know and what we don't know.

And we don't know that science is the best way to understand reality. Or any other variant of in effect that.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well, you point is that you like science. So do I. I am using it right now. But I don't claim it is good as in effect so objectively. That is all.

Btw it was about solipism, reality and all that.
And in effect that leads to what we know, how we know and what we don't know.

And we don't know that science is the best way to understand reality. Or any other variant of in effect that.

My prediction turned out spot on. You don't even remember what original point you were replying to when you started this trolling derailment, even though it was less then 2 hours ago and you could even go back in the thread to double check...

That's the end of this rabbit hole.

Feel free to post another rant about nothing where you use words in ways that nobody else is using them to make a silly point about how nothing is objective and everything is just a matter of opinion, that I won't be reading.