• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: does God exist?

RestlessSoul

People claim that God is known to exist. There is no reason to find them credible.

Indeed, spiritual experiences are often incredible, even to the people who have had them. That doesn't make those experiences any less real. Experience, after all, is all we have and all we know of the world.

Audie

Veteran Member
Indeed, spiritual experiences are often incredible, even to the people who have had them. That doesn't make those experiences any less real. Experience, after all, is all we have and all we know of the world.
Oh? I had the an experience as a skinny 9 yr old in
H.K. I was sick.

I had grown extremely heavy.

Mohammed Ali came in my room. To,show how
heavy i was i climbed up on him and weighed him down to
the floor.

It's still quite vivid in my mind.

Luckily I have more than just the aberrant
experiences to apply to my grasp of reality.
Unlike floodies and heavens gamers, branch davidians etc.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Any Atheist who believes he/she came from the great Ape - probably won't openly believe in God unless you put him or her in a cage with a Gorilla. Then he/she will pray for divine intervention.;)

You have a very poor but typical view of atheists.

BrightShadow

You have a very poor but typical view of atheists.
What the typical Atheists don't realize - when you don't have any faith in God - by default you are working against God. All the examples you are setting - are working against God.

Like I said - inner inclination to believe in God and seek help from God - comes out when it is time for self preservation. All other times - a Atheist can be a happy and jolly Atheist!

Kfox

People claim that God is known to exist. There is no reason to find them credible.
The problem with saying “God does/doesn’t exist”, is that there is no consensus on what constitutes God. There are Rastafarians who deify Haile Selassie (former President of Ethiopia) there is a sect in Hinduism where Kumari of Nepal is a God, there are those who worship nature, the Sun, there is no limit on what various believers can call God. No atheist in his right mind is gonna claim people as real as you and I, or things obviously real do not exist simply because there are those who choose to call them God; right?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Any Atheist who believes he/she came from the great Ape - probably won't openly believe in God unless you put him or her in a cage with a Gorilla. Then he/she will pray for divine intervention.;)
Why would it surprise you that there are atheists, as well as theists, who are firm believers in Pascals Wager?

ppp

So you say. But you have no credibility on this subject.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What the typical Atheists don't realize - when you don't have any faith in God - by default you are working against God. All the examples you are setting - are working against God.

Like I said - inner inclination to believe in God and seek help from God - comes out when it is time for self preservation. All other times - a Atheist can be a happy and jolly Atheist!

What is a typical atheist?

Bull, what god? yours or one of the thousands of other claimed gods?

I don't need a god sitting on my shoulder to tell me what is good, honest, moral.

That's human mortality, not the religious morality stolen from human mortality and modified to exclude those not of your religion.

Last edited:

BrightShadow

Why would it surprise you that there are atheists, as well as theists, who are firm believers in Pascals Wager?

Think about what you just admitted there!
You just admitted I am right that (some) Atheists will pray when they are in a tough predicament.
Your reason is - we would remember God in a situation like that because there is nothing to lose but there could be something to gain. So why not?
Great! If that's what it takes the Atheists to remember God - then so be it.
If you can't remember on your happy and jolly days - remember when it is not.;)