• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the world come from?

outhouse

Atheistically
The only explanation is an infinite being of will.

this is really a cop out when one hits a wall in their knowledge.

some of the greatest minds have been guilty of throwing a deity in when they dont understand something.

I dont see how repeating a mistake that has crippled thinking for thousands of years is wise.

I also dont find that the only explanation, because we dont know exactly, doesnt mean we have to run to a sky daddy like ancient man did.

waitasec

Veteran Member
It's not a limit, it's simply the end of the road of logic.

that is what you assume by limiting yourself...

did you by chance see the youtube video i posted for you?
throughout history great minds came to a dead end and claimed we cannot go any further and attributed it to god....until someone else came along and pushed the envelope even further...

what are you afraid of?

Sum1sGruj

It's the logical truth. Something of infinite being and will created reality.
Something cannot come from nothing. What the hell explanation can anyone have other than that lmao.
You all cannot come up with anything. Stephen Hawking cannot come up with anything. Nobody can come up with anything.
Atheism is a mirage. :D

did you by chance see the youtube video i posted for you?
throughout history great minds came to a dead end and claimed we cannot go any further and attributed it to god....until someone else came along and pushed the envelope even further...
All within the realm of reality. See, it''s pointless to even refute it. There is just no. other. way.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Something cannot come from nothing. What the hell explanation can anyone have other than that lmao.
You all cannot come up with anything. Stephen Hawking cannot come up with anything. Nobody can come up with anything.

*climbs aboard pontoon boat*

waitasec

Veteran Member

no one is claiming atheism here....
no one is saying something came from nothing
no one is saying they KNOW, except for you...

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic

All within the realm of reality. See, it''s pointless to even refute it. There is just no. other. way.
Hawking says that the universe didn't come from anywhere. This is quite distinct from the idea that the universe had a beginning, though.

The universe had a beginning but did not come from anywhere. This is perfectly logical to the mathematicians. :D

Sum1sGruj

The universe had a beginning but did not come from anywhere. This is perfectly logical to the mathematicians. :D

To not want to face the truth. "In the beginning, there was the quantum,. There was nothing!"

Whatever. Even a lot of physicists believe in a non-personal god. Actually, it's not them not wanting to face the truth, but rather for people to not become fixated on it.

Where reality came from isn't physics, just like how where life came from isn't evolution. LoL

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You all are being incredibly foolish.

The universe came from something.

What support do you have for that claim? Why do you assume the universe came from something?

Where did it come from? Something else?
Where did that come from?
And so on and so on.

There is just no other way around that fact.

Why is that the only explanation?

I can see many other explanations, and many problems with that explanation. Why can't the universe be an "infinite being"? Where did this infinite being of will come from? I mean, I assume that if the universe must have come from somewhere, this being of yours must have also come from somewhere, right? Or are you just arbitrarily assigning attributes to this being just so that you have an answer that satisfies you?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You all are being incredibly foolish.

The universe came from something.

Where did it come from? Something else?
Where did that come from?
And so on and so on.

There is just no other way around that fact.
But I did give an alternate explanation: gophers.

So how is "an infinite being of will" a better explanation for the existence of the universe than "a bunch of gophers"?

Now... I realize that "gophers" is an absurd explanation. My point is that if your God doesn't explain things better than an absurd answer we know to be false, then why should accept your God as the answer?

BTW: you've hand-waved about "infinite" a fair bit (without really explaining yourself, but let's set that aside), but what about "being of will"? Exactly what about the universe suggests that its creator must have "will"?

Sum1sGruj

But I did give an alternate explanation: gophers.

So how is "an infinite being of will" a better explanation for the existence of the universe than "a bunch of gophers"?

Now... I realize that "gophers" is an absurd explanation. My point is that if your God doesn't explain things better than an absurd answer we know to be false, then why should accept your God as the answer?

BTW: you've hand-waved about "infinite" a fair bit (without really explaining yourself, but let's set that aside), but what about "being of will"? Exactly what about the universe suggests that its creator must have "will"?

I never siad it was my God, for one. I stated it is simply something of infinite being and will. This could be one, or perhaps several beings. It could be my God or simply a nameless maker. It could even be a gopher, king of the expanse.

Physics has long since seen the error of an infinite reality. There was a beginning. Infinity is used in math out of proper necessity. There is no indication that reality is such, however.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I never siad it was my God, for one. I stated it is simply something of infinite being and will. This could be one, or perhaps several beings. It could be my God or simply a nameless maker.

Physics has long since seen the error of an infinite reality. There was a beginning.

your religion is christian...right?
you claim the abrahamic god is the real deal, right?
and what does you god say about itself...the beginning and the end, right?
are you mormon?

Sum1sGruj

your religion is christian...right?
you claim the abrahamic god is the real deal, right?
and what does you god say about itself...the beginning and the end, right?
are you mormon?

I'm stating otherwise for the sake of argument, so some will open their eyes to the concept instead of reaching for an impossible conclusion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I never siad it was my God, for one. I stated it is simply something of infinite being and will. This could be one, or perhaps several beings. It could be my God or simply a nameless maker. It could even be a gopher, king of the expanse.
So... you rank your explanation on par with mine? The one I picked out as absurd and obviously false?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I'm stating otherwise for the sake of argument, so some will open their eyes to the concept instead of reaching for an impossible conclusion.

can you open you eyes to the concept of assuming you know actually limits your capacity for more knowledge?