• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If there's no God, then where did the world come from?

outhouse

Atheistically
Theoretical physicists are in the process of answering this very question. It has been shown, in fact, that something does come from nothing. Matter pops in and out of existence all the time in empty space.

I enjoyed the vid you posted and watched the whole thing. excellent

despite dark energy and dark matter, all of our known universe did not come from nothing.

At this point in time despite "in the process of answering " they are no where close to a real answer of the singularity.

This means no one knows with in what 100-200,000 years of the big bang as to what was there and what size it was to start with.

we are in our infancy as far as knowledge of the universe and it sorigins depite what we know.

I do believe it is primitive thinking to use divinity as a real answer for real questions regarding the origin of the universe, because ancient man had a myth regarding how his uneducated mind percieved a creation.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
fantôme profane;2458876 said:
Oh yeah Mr. Smartypantsscienceguy, answer me this. If the universe came from nothing then where did the nothing come from?

Aha! From nothing of course! :D Thought you could trick me eh? You are forgetting I'm Mr. Smartypantsscienceguy!

jonnychan

We as humans have limited perceptive abilities so it's impossible to know something that is out of the realm of our reality.

Exactly. That is why atheists who also happen to respect scientific findings and principles do not accept anything unless a proof is established. God himself from a theist's perspective is out of the realm of our reality, so when an atheist does not see the proof he is able to comprehend, he will dismiss it as invalid.

Sum1sGruj

I see you have even less knowledge in the physics, cosmology, and astrophysics fields than you do in biology.
No shame in that, after all, they are very difficult subjects.
On the other hand, pulling unwarranted claims about physics out of thin air only makes you look like a fool.

I've heard this so many times, and yet not even a hint of contrary reaches through.

Nothing can come from 'nothing'. Every theory needs something, and no matter how hard you try to contend it, you will find yourself needing something.
No physicist has ever tried to say that the universe came form 'nothing'. It's always been a charge, a quantum, something.

So if I were you, I would stop with the bashing because your not going to get anywhere in it. At all. In fact, it just shows the true element of yourself.

Oh, and it's impossible to go back before the theoretical '10th dimensional singularity' because we are the 10th dimensional singularity. So that makes us unable to perceive anything outside of it. Not that 'nothing' cannot be observed. I can observe it right now. ... .. ... it has been observed.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nothing can come from 'nothing'. Every theory needs something, and no matter how hard you try to contend it, you will find yourself needing something.
No physicist has ever tried to say that the universe came form 'nothing'. It's always been a charge, a quantum, something.
"Not nothing" does not necessarily equal the Christian God.

Heck - it doesn't even necessarily equal any god at all.

Sum1sGruj

"Not nothing" does not necessarily equal the Christian God.

Heck - it doesn't even necessarily equal any god at all.

You probably missed this edit:
Oh, and it's impossible to go back before the theoretical '10th dimensional singularity' because we are the 10th dimensional singularity. So that makes us unable to perceive anything outside of it. Not that 'nothing' cannot be observed. I can observe it right now. ... .. ... it has been observed.
Alright, so it seems 'nothing' created reality. Not possible. Something not subject to the realms of existence did it.
Its seems pretty solid that it came from a divine being to me. It may not be my God, but the Abrahamic God seems the most prevalent one in the world to me. So it's a safe bet in my opinion.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You probably missed this edit:
Alright, so it seems 'nothing' created reality. Not possible. Something not subject to the realms of existence did it.
What exactly do you mean by "something not subject to the realms of existence"? AFAICT, it seems to mean "something that doesn't exist", but how can a thing that doesn't exist effect change in the physical universe?

Its seems pretty solid that it came from a divine being to me.
Why? What in this suggests "divine being" as opposed to something else?

For instance, like I asked before: why is "divine being" a better answer than "gophers"?

It may not be my God, but the Abrahamic God seems the most prevalent one in the world to me. So it's a safe bet in my opinion.
So the prevalence of an idea is an indication of its truthfulness?

Have you ever read Richard Dawkins' ideas about memes? It does seem that ideas can take hold and spread regardless of whether they're true, so why should we assume that the way your favourite ideas took hold and spread suggests that they're true?

St Giordano Bruno

I guess if you include enough in your definition of "the world" then that is true whether you're atheist or not
I think the word "God" is full of ambiguities. If by definition one just simply defines God as the laws and principles which caused the world to happen sentient or not, and it pans out the world happened by itself just simply by obeying the laws of physics. Then by that definition the world is a part of that God. It would not be a conscious god, or a god that judges us and listens and answers our prayers but the only form of god that sits well with me.

waitasec

Veteran Member

I think the word "God" is full of ambiguities. If by definition one just simply defines God as the laws and principles which caused the world to happen sentient or not, and it pans out the world happened by itself just simply by obeying the laws of physics. Then by that definition the world is a part of that God. It would not be a conscious god, or a god that judges us and listens and answers our prayers but the only form of god that sits well with me.

i agree

Sum1sGruj

I've been stating my own little philosophy on something of the sort. Since we are of this singularity, it could be said that we created our own existence :)

I'm not atheist however, I believe that the Abrahamic god has been prevalent throughout history :D

Sententia

This is a prominent question that is yet to be answered convincingly by atheists. I mean the world can't have come from nothing, can it?

But god could have come from nothing... Theists if God didn't create god then where did god come from? I mean the god you pander to couldn't just come from nothing, can it?

:facepalm:

Honestly the core issue you are struggling with if you earnestly believe in such a fantastical and grade school level simplistic explanation is going to take a bit more effort on your part.

The argument that we don't know therefore god - explains nothing. It is not scientific and nothing more than rationalization. A rationalization not that different from the ones that keep smokers smoking or alcoholics drinking.

If anything seek to understand rationalization. That is my only advice at this time. Be good.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I've heard this so many times, and yet not even a hint of contrary reaches through.

So if I were you, I would stop with the bashing because your not going to get anywhere in it. At all. In fact, it just shows the true element of yourself.

Wow!:clap
You almost sounded like you knew what you were talking about there.
Especially throwing in the random Superstring Theory 10-D bit at the end.

Now, back to basics.
Where do the physical laws of cause/effect apply?

Sum1sGruj

it can't.
So if your claim is that there at one point in time was nothing, then not even your god can exist.

But reality exists, therefore God created us. All I see you doing is calling it illogical, but you cannot give a logical explanation why this isn't the case.
If you agree that something cannot come from nothing, then tell a different rationale.