• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Hold on, you just agreed with me that I had no choice but to do what God had foreseen, now you say I DO have a choice? Once again, you flip flop.
I have travelled this same road with many different religionists and it often ends this way. Even after agreeing with the basic premises they still default to "but we still have free will". It always reminds me of this...

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
So you were indoctrinated, as many people are.
It's remarkable, given how common childhood religious indoctrination is, how rare it is to find a religionist who was indoctrinated as a child.
It's like the inverse of the Spike Island/Woodstock paradox.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is? Where? How?

I know people can be irrational, but that's not what we're talking about, is it?

Provide me some examples please because I don't know what you're talking about.

What did you mean by things, that are irrational and illogical? I understood it differently than what you apparently meant it.

RestlessSoul

It's remarkable, given how common childhood religious indoctrination is, how rare it is to find a religionist who was indoctrinated as a child.
It's like the inverse of the Spike Island/Woodstock paradox.

Sounds like you've done a lot of research, so I'll take your word for it I suppose.

RestlessSoul

Seek out what, exactly? Your explanations are about as clear as mud.

I used to be a Christian, by the way. Then I realized I didn't have any good evidence to be one. I was just believing because that's what I'd been taught to believe.

Okay. So you rejected what you were taught. Then what? The rest is up to you.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..I used to be a Christian, by the way. Then I realized I didn't have any good evidence to be one. I was just believing because that's what I'd been taught to believe.

..probably a bit more than that..
The basic concept of God is not hard for a child to grasp.

eg.
All things bright and beautiful,
All things great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

I'm not talking about detailed theological concepts..
.. obviously.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Do I have evidence for what, the existence of God? I see His handiwork everywhere.

That's not evidence that's a claim.

The infinite complexity of the universe which sustains us is all the evidence I need;

Again, not evidence, just pointing to everything and calling it evidence is nothing but a bare claim?

it's within each of us that the miracle can be found, if we have the willingness, honesty and open mindedness to search for it.

A bare claim, and a no true Scotsman fallacy, so an irrational bare claim to boot. Do you really not see it? You were asked for evidence, and in response you reeled of several unevidenced claims and a known logical fallacy that implies anyone who isn't "willing, honest, and open minded" isn't really looking for a deity.

You just held up an empty bag, and claimed there is evidence in it? Open minded means unbiased, If I claimed that a very different deity has told me you've been deceived, and that if you were willing and honest and open minded you'd see this, how compelling would find that claim?