• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't know what the "No" is for.
No, the Baha'i Faith is not for short term or immediate gratification, with little regard for ramifications or consequence. It is for the long term good of the whole world.

What will actually happen in the future only God knows so is there any reason to make projections?

ppp

No, the Baha'i Faith is not for short term or immediate gratification, with little regard for ramifications or consequence. It is for the long term good of the whole world.
Cool. That's not what I said. You did a little bait and switch there.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Cool. That's not what I said. You did a little bait and switch there.
You said: Ah yes. Number six: adherents will say whatever achieves short term or immediate gratification, with little regard for ramifications or consequence.

There was no bait and switch. I just respond to what I think you meant but maybe I misunderstood what you meant by what you said.
What did I misunderstand?

ppp

You said: Ah yes. Number six: adherents will say whatever achieves short term or immediate gratification, with little regard for ramifications or consequence.

There was no bait and switch. I just respond to what I think you meant but maybe I misunderstood what you meant by what you said.
What did I misunderstand?
Sure. Why did you change what adherents do, to what Baha'i is for? Ii would only say that Baha'i is "for" it if the religion explicitly or implicitly admonishes believera to act in that way. I don't see any indication of that.

samtonga43

Flip-flopping is not contradicting. I just think tangentially.
You think in a way that relates only slightly to a matter? Well, yes. This is obvious to all.
[QUOTE="Trailblazer, post: 7586954, member: 63455"I see that as usual you could not pass up an opportunity to criticize me again, unaware that this says more about you that it says about anything I actually did[/QUOTE]
There's more than one person criticizing your posts, Tb.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sure. Why did you change what adherents do, to what Baha'i is for? Ii would only say that Baha'i is "for" it if the religion explicitly or implicitly admonishes believera to act in that way. I don't see any indication of that.
Sorry, I have lost track of what this discussion is about. :confused:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You think in a way that relates only slightly to a matter? Well, yes. This is obvious to all.
It is not obvious to all, not unless you know what everyone on this forum thinks.
There's more than one person criticizing your posts, Tb.
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so." Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia

Why would that matter to me that there is more than one person criticizing my posts? All that shows is that there is more than one person who needs to criticize others so that their own faults will not be exposed. They are the ones who should be concerned about their behavior, as it is no reflection upon me, it is a reflection upon them.

People who criticize others only humiliate themselves in front of the good people of this forum who recognize their behavior but don't say anything since they know it is none of their business.

44. O Companion of My Throne!
Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed. Live then the days of thy life, that are less than a fleeting moment, with thy mind stainless, thy heart unsullied, thy thoughts pure, and thy nature sanctified, so that, free and content, thou mayest put away this mortal frame, and repair unto the mystic paradise and abide in the eternal kingdom forevermore.
The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Number six; It offends reason with her relentless use of irrational claims using known logical fallacies, including the ludicrous claim that her claims are not claims.

Ah yes. Number six: adherents will say whatever achieves short term or immediate gratification, with little regard for ramifications or consequence.

I don't know what the "No" is for. You are not denying the truth of my claim.
Relentless use of irrational claims using known logical fallacies is for the long-term. You had it wrong. It is not for the short-term. Other than that, your claim is true.

Reactions: ppp

samtonga43

It is not obvious to all, not unless you know what everyone on this forum thinks.
I hope you remember this next time you are tempted to make one of your many "Everybody can see..." - type statements.
In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so." Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
*Sigh* Yes, believe it or not, we are all aware of this fallacious argument. No need to repeat yourself ad nauseam. However, It was you, all by yourself, who said that you think tangentially (in a way that relates only slightly to a matter). I just agreed with you.
Why would that matter to me that there is more than one person criticizing my posts? All that shows is that there is more than one person who needs to criticize others so that their own faults will not be exposed. They are the ones who should be concerned about their behavior, as it is no reflection upon me, it is a reflection upon them
If you persist in this lack of self-knowledge you will never move forward.
People who criticize others only humiliate themselves in front of the good people of this forum who recognize their behavior but don't say anything since they know it is none of their business.
Fallacy of unwarranted assumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: ppp

ppp

Relentless use of irrational claims using known logical fallacies is for the long-term. You had it wrong. It is not for the short-term. Other than that, your claim is true.
What I meant by short-term is that they go for the quick fix of the moment. That they don't worry about consistency with their previous claims. Nor do they consider that the thing they're claiming at the moment utterly demolishes their larger beliefs. They are only concerned with the quick and dirty patch, rather than some sort of long-term consideration through thoughtful nuanced analysis.

Tiberius

No, I always knew the benefit of peer review for hat is intended to be used for but it was NEVER intended to be used for deciding which religion is true.

This is just an outright lie. You stated several times that you believed that peer review would act only to introduce MORE bias into a conclusion.

"No, but they might make other mistakes thus introducing more errors." SOURCE

"All peer review accomplishes is to introduce other personal biases." SOURCE

Once again, you flip flop your position to avoid taking responsibility for your claims. And don't give me that, "But I'm not making claims," nonsense.

No, it should NEVER be used to seek the truth about God or religion. It is everyone's personal responsibility to investigate a religion and decide what to believe for themselves.

Which works fine for things for which there is no objective truth. But if God existing is an objective truth, then peer review will serve to highlight that truth.

It is a statement of certitude regarding my belief. I claim nothing.

That is by far the weakest argument I've ever heard.

There are quite a few Baha'is on this forum that agree with me. My peers have reviewed my posts and are in agreement. However they already came to a belief in the Baha'i Faith all by themselves, they did not need to rely upon other people to review their work. :rolleyes:

So what?

I can point to countless Christians who came to Christianity independently and all agree with each other. Same thing with Jews, Hindus, Muslims, pretty much any faith you want. You think it means something special when it's Bahai's?

Wake up and smell the coffee.That is what people do on a religious forum.

Oh, but not you! No, you don't do that, because you never make statements, or make claims, or anything like that!

I am not going to repeat myself again. Everything I say is fraid not with you because you think you know everything and you can never be wrong.

I certainly don't know everything. However, I do know that an argument built on logical fallacies - like yours - can't be correct.

I get my beliefs about how we should investigate a religion from Baha'u'llah who is infallible so He cannot be wrong.

And how do you know he is infallible? Because you believe the religion that says he is infallible. And why do you believe the religion? Because it was formed by a guy who is infallible. How do you know he is infallible? Because you believe the religion that says he is infallible. And why do you believe the religion? Because it was formed by a guy who is infallible. How do you know he is infallible? Because you believe the religion that says he is infallible. And why do you believe the religion? Because it was formed by a guy who is infallible. How do you know he is infallible? Because you believe the religion that says he is infallible. And why do you believe the religion? Because it was formed by a guy who is infallible. How do you know he is infallible?

And so on, ad nauseum.

By contrast all your beliefs about using peer review before selecting a religion come straight from your own ego.

Hahahahahahaha. No.

My belief that peer review is a valuable tool for eliminating personal biases when seeking objective truth does not come at all from my ego. It comes from the proven track record that it has.

And I am saying peer review is ONE TOOL that we should NEVER use and I explained why.

Your explanation requires us to reject the idea that a religious belief is an objective truth, something that actually corresponds to reality.

Peer review is indeed a valuable too when it comes to determining what is objectively true.

Of course it applies peer review to the articles it publishes, but there is no article that says that our personal beliefs should be subject to peer review before we select them.

Lots of people turn to religious leaders for advice. And plenty of religious people have turned to peer reviewed science to support their position.

I have no problem with reading what other people say on religious topics. That is called research.

But don't do this when you are looking for a faith to follow. Instead, only do "research" once you have decided based on just your fallible opinion what is the correct religious belief, so that way you can tell if the researcher who has spent decades studying the religion is correct or not. Because, as we know, a single person's opinion is worth far more than decades of research.

God has no problem with your biased view about Baha'i if that is the view you came to after doing your independent investigation. You have free will to choose and God wants you to choose freely.

So then what are these "consequences" you mentioned. I mean, you made it sound quite ominous, but you you're telling me God would be like, "Nah, don't worry dude, it's all good!"

I never said that the scientific method does not apply to attempts to find the truth about a religion, but I never thought about how it can be used until I read this article.

Ah, so now the scientific method WHICH INCLUDES PEER REVIEW is a valid tool for finding the truth about a religion!

Tiberius

I never said you should.

Yes you did. You said we should not listen to other people's opinions about religion.

I am telling you to do your own research and think for yourself and instead of listening to other people's opinions, and that includes any opinions I might have.

And you don't stop to think that maybe I've done that, and I've already reached a conclusion?

Why do you assume that I haven't just because I've reached a conclusion that you disagree with?

I have told you time and again that you have to do your own investigation including reading what He wrote. That is part of the evidence I have posted on this forum over and over again.

Have done.

Why would that be arrogant?
So who would be more qualified and why would they be more qualified?

If I was considering a religion to follow, it would be very arrogant of me to decide that I was better qualified to judge the validity of said religion as an accurate representation of reality than someone who had been studying that religion for 40 years.

God does want us to do what will accomplish that. It is called independent investigation of truth.

And why should an examination of the opinions of those vastly more learned in a religion be excluded from our own study of that religion?

I cannot cite al the passages that say that, but here is one:

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings, p. 339

The punishment is not getting the reward.

The phrasing is rather vague.

The belief I came to (as a result of my own personal investigation without regards for anything anyone else has said about it) is my personal opinion.

My belief about what God wants (God wants us to take the test and come up with our own answers) comes from Baha'u'llah, it is not my personal opinion.

Since your belief about what God wants is based on your belief about God, which you admit is just an opinion, it would seem that your belief about what God wants is indeed your opinion.

God has spoken - through Baha'u'llah. I only pass along what Baha'u'llah wrote, so I am kind of like a messenger for the Messenger, a go-between. It would be better if you read it for yourself, but I don't think you will do that.

Probably not. You've certainly done a good job of turning me away from the Bahai faith.

I tell you what I believe is the Truth and what the good evidence is, that is all I can do, but if you reject it that is not my responsibility.

Such a shame you are completely incapable of presenting a valid argument for any of it.

If I say I KNOW my belief is true, then it's a statement of faith, not a claim.

You CLAIM to KNOW.

It's a claim. Stop hiding behind that weak argument.

A belief is not a fact, that is an oxymoron. God is not a fact because God can never be proven to exist. There are facts about my religion but the religion cannot be proven to be true as a fact because nobody can prove that God spoke to Baha'u'llah - as a fact.

So you admit that your belief is non-factual.

Many many times I have said a religious belief is not a fact because it can never be proven true, but that does not mean it isn't true because proof is not what makes anything true.

True, something can be true even if there is no proof.

But if there is no proof, there is no reason we should believe it to be true.

That is what I am saying, and the same holds true for all the Messengers of God.

And you don't see the massive contradiction there?

"Mr B did the following things:
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
Everything on that list could have been done by any person. However, I believe there are things on that list which can not be done by an average person."

You are right, I have said that I know, but that is not a claim, it is a statement of certitude. I cannot claim to know what I cannot prove to others.

That's getting tired, TB. It's a claim.

"I know with certainty because I got that certainty from God."
That is not a claim, it is a statement of faith, the kind of faith that Jesus said can move mountains, remember?.

You mean that thing that you said shouldn't be tested because it wasn't meant literally?

We shouldn't take your claim that you have certainty literally either?

I do flip-flop but it is not a matter of convenience since I have no motive to win any arguments. That is just how my mind works and you are not the first to point it out. I drive my husband crazy because he cannot follow what I am saying!

Maybe you should take that as an indication that your position is wildly inconsistent and thus can not be relied upon to be accurate.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This is just an outright lie. You stated several times that you believed that peer review would act only to introduce MORE bias into a conclusion.

"No, but they might make other mistakes thus introducing more errors." SOURCE
"All peer review accomplishes is to introduce other personal biases." SOURCE

Once again, you flip flop your position to avoid taking responsibility for your claims. And don't give me that, "But I'm not making claims," nonsense.
I do not deny that I said that. Peer review would introduce more biases if used for determining religious reliefs, or even it is used for its intended purpose, to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication (see below).

I said: “I always knew the benefit of peer review for what is intended to be used for but it was NEVER intended to be used for deciding which religion is true.”

Peer review is designed to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication. Its ultimate purpose is to maintain the integrity of science by filtering out invalid or poor quality articles.
What is Peer Review? | Wiley

What are 3 benefits of peer review?

Advantages include:
Establishes the validity of research based upon the expert knowledge of other researchers in the discipline, therefore preventing falsified work from being accepted within an area of study. Provides valuable feedback so that researchers can revise and improve their papers before publication.
Advantages and disadvantages of peer review - Glasgow Caledonian ...

Peer review does not remove bias, it introduces bias.

Does peer review reduce bias?

It is undeniable that peer review adds value to academic publishing. This makes it important to reduce bias in peer review. In order to effectively judge research quality, peer review reports should not include the reviewer's opinion on acceptance or rejection of the paper.Sep 10, 2020
Is Peer Review Biased? - Enago Academy

How is peer review related to bias?

Conceptually, the peer review process can lead to distortion of the results from the viewpoint of the evidence user, akin to bias. Peer review bias can be defined as a violation of impartiality in the evaluation of a submission. Feb 20, 2019
Peer Review Bias: A Critical Review - Mayo Clinic Proceedings
Which works fine for things for which there is no objective truth. But if God existing is an objective truth, then peer review will serve to highlight that truth.
No, it will not serve to highlight that truth about God because there is no reason why our peers would know any more than we know about God.
So what?

I can point to countless Christians who came to Christianity independently and all agree with each other. Same thing with Jews, Hindus, Muslims, pretty much any faith you want. You think it means something special when it's Bahai's?
Did I say it means something special when it's Bahai's? No, I did not say that.
My belief that peer review is a valuable tool for eliminating personal biases when seeking objective truth does not come at all from my ego. It comes from the proven track record that it has.
What proven track record does it have for removing personal biases? In fact it is the opposite. It has the potential to introduce personal biases s pointed out above, so it was just as I had logically concluded even before I read those articles.
Your explanation requires us to reject the idea that a religious belief is an objective truth, something that actually corresponds to reality.

Peer review is indeed a valuable too when it comes to determining what is objectively true.
Show me where it says that peer review can be used for determining what is objectively true. No, that is not what it is used for (see above).

A religious belief can NEVER be proven to be objectively true, but that does not mean it is not true.
Lots of people turn to religious leaders for advice.
For advice, but not to determine if a religious belief is true. Those religious leaders believe their religion is true so they are biased.
And plenty of religious people have turned to peer reviewed science to support their position.
There is nothing wrong with doing that. We should look at scientific articles.
But don't do this when you are looking for a faith to follow. Instead, only do "research" once you have decided based on just your fallible opinion what is the correct religious belief, so that way you can tell if the researcher who has spent decades studying the religion is correct or not. Because, as we know, a single person's opinion is worth far more than decades of research.
No, that is NOT what I did nor what I recommend doing. You I did not do "research" once I had decided based on my fallible opinion what is the correct religious belief, I did the research BEFORE I decided what is the correct religious belief.

Are you suggesting we should believe a Baha’i who has done decades of research and take his word for what he determined about the Baha’i Faith instead of doing our own research? There is nothing wrong with reading book written by Baha’i scholars and I have done so, but that is not a substitute for doing my own research, reading about the history of the Baha’i Faith and reading the Writings of Baha’u’llah.
So then what are these "consequences" you mentioned. I mean, you made it sound quite ominous, but you you're telling me God would be like, "Nah, don't worry dude, it's all good!"
After you have done your research and come to YOUR OWN conclusions you will receive your reward if you choose the belief that is true.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339

I never said that the scientific method does not apply to attempts to find the truth about a religion, but I never thought about how it can be used until I read this article.
Ah, so now the scientific method WHICH INCLUDES PEER REVIEW is a valid tool for finding the truth about a religion!
No, the scientific method does not include peer review.
The scientific method involves five basic steps:
  • careful observation
  • applying rigorous, questioning skepticism to those observations
  • formulating hypotheses based on the observations, and on inductive reasoning
  • experimental and measurement-based testing of all deductions drawn from the hypotheses
  • and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings.
https://bahaiteachings.org/how-to-investigate-things-for-yourself-not-rely-on-hearsay

Peer review is used to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication and peer review establishes the validity of research based upon the expert knowledge of other researchers in the discipline. It is not a valid tool for finding the truth about a religion! The only valid tool is independent investigation of truth. That includes reading any and all information you can find to read about the Baha’i Faith, including the Baha’i Writings and the history of the Baha’i Faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes you did. You said we should not listen to other people's opinions about religion.
I did not you should ignore anything of worth related to that religion. I said we should not make a final decision as to what to believe according to other people’s opinions.
And you don't stop to think that maybe I've done that, and I've already reached a conclusion?

Why do you assume that I haven't just because I've reached a conclusion that you disagree with?
I do not assume that at all. I have no idea if you have come to a conclusion or what conclusion you came to or unless you tell me.
If I was considering a religion to follow, it would be very arrogant of me to decide that I was better qualified to judge the validity of said religion as an accurate representation of reality than someone who had been studying that religion for 40 years.
I have been studying the Baha’i Faith for over 51 years. Do you think it would be very arrogant of you to decide that you were better qualified to judge the validity of the religion as an accurate representation of reality than me?

I did not think I was more qualified to judge the Baha’i Faith when I was researching the religion and that is why I read books written by Baha’is who had already done a lot of research. For example, this is the first book that I read:

Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era

Fully downloadable version:
Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era
And why should an examination of the opinions of those vastly more learned in a religion be excluded from our own study of that religion?
These opinions should not be excluded. Reading what learned Baha’is have written is part of our independent investigation of truth. And along those lines, if you want to know how Baha’u’llah has fulfilled the Bible prophecies for the return of Christ you should read Thief in the Night by William Sears which was written by a learned Baha’i. He researched what Baha’u’llah did to fulfil those prophecies for seven years and he even went to the holy land to verify the places that he was writing about.
The phrasing is rather vague.
It is vague because it was not intended to be an explanation as to what happens to people who get it wrong. There is nothing specifically written about nonbelievers as all Baha’u’llah wrote was what a true believer can expect as a reward and it is still quite vague because as Baha’u’llah wrote it is indescribable and the knowledge of the afterlife is with God alone.

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346

Since your belief about what God wants is based on your belief about God, which you admit is just an opinion, it would seem that your belief about what God wants is indeed your opinion.
My belief about what God wants is not my personal opinion. My belief about what God wants is based upon what Baha’u’llah wrote, since I believe that Baha’u’llah spoke for God.
Probably not. You've certainly done a good job of turning me away from the Bahai faith.
That comment was unwarranted, especially given all the hours I have spent answering your posts. I just provided accurate information about the Baha’i Faith and I am in no NO WAY responsible for what you have concluded.
Such a shame you are completely incapable of presenting a valid argument for any of it.
I am not responsible for convincing you that the Baha’i Faith is true, it is your responsibility to convince yourself if you want to know. I can lead a horse to water but I cannot make it drink.
So you admit that your belief is non-factual.
We have already covered this. There are facts about the Baha’i Faith that can be verified but no religious belief can ever be proven to be true as a fact, since it is not verifiable that God ever spoke to anyone!
True, something can be true even if there is no proof.

But if there is no proof, there is no reason we should believe it to be true.
I hope you mean if there is no evidence, there is no reason we should believe it to be true. If so, I agree with that.
And you don't see the massive contradiction there?

"Mr B did the following things:

· A
· B
· C
· D
· E
· F
· G

Everything on that list could have been done by any person. However, I believe there are things on that list which can not be done by an average person."
Sorry, that was my mistake. I did not catch that error. I should have said: "An average person could have done some things that Baha’u’llah did, but I also think that there are things that Baha’u’llah did that an average person could NOT have done."
You mean that thing that you said shouldn't be tested because it wasn't meant literally?
I said it is the kind of faith that Jesus said can move mountains. Faith can be tested and if we fail the test we lose our faith. I have gone to hell and back to attain to this kind of faith. Faith does not come easy, it is always tested.

"Meditate profoundly, that the secret of things unseen may be revealed unto you, that you may inhale the sweetness of a spiritual and imperishable fragrance, and that you may acknowledge the truth that from time immemorial even unto eternity the Almighty hath tried, and will continue to try, His servants, so that light may be distinguished from darkness, truth from falsehood, right from wrong, guidance from error, happiness from misery, and roses from thorns. Even as He hath revealed: “Do men think when they say ‘We believe’ they shall be let alone and not be put to proof?” 5 "
Bahá’u’lláh, The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 8-9
We shouldn't take your claim that you have certainty literally either?
You can choose to believe it or not but only I know if I have certainty.
Maybe you should take that as an indication that your position is wildly inconsistent and thus can not be relied upon to be accurate.
Maybe that is what you want to assume but it is illogical became it is the fallacy of jumping to conclusions. If I was unable to flip-flop from one thought to another I could never write all these long detailed posts and know exactly where to find all the appropriate passages in two seconds flat.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser

Edit: This is a rehashing of what they claim to be the origination of Indian, Asian, Egyptian, Greek/Roman, Abrahamic, Druidic, and possibly Old Ways religions.

Regardless of your faith or faithlessness, I believe it has merit.

Tiberius

I do not deny that I said that. Peer review would introduce more biases if used for determining religious reliefs, or even it is used for its intended purpose, to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication (see below).

I said: “I always knew the benefit of peer review for what is intended to be used for but it was NEVER intended to be used for deciding which religion is true.”

Peer review is designed to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication. Its ultimate purpose is to maintain the integrity of science by filtering out invalid or poor quality articles.
What is Peer Review? | Wiley

What are 3 benefits of peer review?

Advantages include:
Establishes the validity of research based upon the expert knowledge of other researchers in the discipline, therefore preventing falsified work from being accepted within an area of study. Provides valuable feedback so that researchers can revise and improve their papers before publication.
Advantages and disadvantages of peer review - Glasgow Caledonian ...

Peer review does not remove bias, it introduces bias.

Does peer review reduce bias?

It is undeniable that peer review adds value to academic publishing. This makes it important to reduce bias in peer review. In order to effectively judge research quality, peer review reports should not include the reviewer's opinion on acceptance or rejection of the paper.Sep 10, 2020
Is Peer Review Biased? - Enago Academy

How is peer review related to bias?

Conceptually, the peer review process can lead to distortion of the results from the viewpoint of the evidence user, akin to bias. Peer review bias can be defined as a violation of impartiality in the evaluation of a submission. Feb 20, 2019
Peer Review Bias: A Critical Review - Mayo Clinic Proceedings

I stand by what I said. Properly used, peer review will eliminate bias in scientific research, not add to it.

I read once about a study where they looked at why people's ears continued to grow as they aged. They did all kinds of tests and measurements and wrote up a report. And in the peer review stage, one of the reviewers said, "Seems to me you made a mistake by starting with the assumption that people's ears do continue to grow as they age, but you haven't provided any evidence for that. You should start by showing that the phenomenon you are measuring actually exists before you start trying to say why."

That's how peer review works to eliminate bias.

No, it will not serve to highlight that truth about God because there is no reason why our peers would know any more than we know about God.

Hooray! I know just as much about Catholicism as the Pope does!

Did I say it means something special when it's Bahai's? No, I did not say that.

Then why bring it up at all?

What proven track record does it have for removing personal biases? In fact it is the opposite. It has the potential to introduce personal biases s pointed out above, so it was just as I had logically concluded even before I read those articles.

When properly applied, peer review will REMOVE bias, not add to it.

Peer review is widely regarded as essential for advancing scientific research. However, reviewers may be biased by authors' prestige or other characteristics. Double-blind peer review, in which the authors' identities are masked from the reviewers, has been proposed as a way to reduce reviewer bias. Does double-blind peer-review reduce bias? Evidence from a top computer science conference

Show me where it says that peer review can be used for determining what is objectively true. No, that is not what it is used for (see above).

It helps to show what is objectively true by eliminating things that are objectively false.

A religious belief can NEVER be proven to be objectively true, but that does not mean it is not true.

But it does mean that there's no good reason to accept it as true.

For advice, but not to determine if a religious belief is true. Those religious leaders believe their religion is true so they are biased.

There is nothing wrong with doing that. We should look at scientific articles.

And yet all too often they decide on whether the science is valid or not by whether it agrees with what they want to believe or not.

No, that is NOT what I did nor what I recommend doing. You I did not do "research" once I had decided based on my fallible opinion what is the correct religious belief, I did the research BEFORE I decided what is the correct religious belief.

By your own admission, you didn't even look at other religious beliefs. Hardly very good research!

It's like a flat earther looking at a single flat earth website and then claiming he's done his research.

Are you suggesting we should believe a Baha’i who has done decades of research and take his word for what he determined about the Baha’i Faith instead of doing our own research? There is nothing wrong with reading book written by Baha’i scholars and I have done so, but that is not a substitute for doing my own research, reading about the history of the Baha’i Faith and reading the Writings of Baha’u’llah.

Whaddaya mean "INSTEAD"? I never said that. I said we should use ALL available sources.

After you have done your research and come to YOUR OWN conclusions you will receive your reward if you choose the belief that is true.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339

Again, that is very vague.

If the villain in a James Bond movie turns to one of his henchmen who failed him and says, "For your failure, you shall receive none other than your own punishment,” I guarantee that henchman is going to be afraid the villain is going to kill him. He's not going to be thinking, "Oh, I've been fired." Unless it's out of a cannon. Into the sun.

No, the scientific method does not include peer review.
The scientific method involves five basic steps:
  • careful observation
  • applying rigorous, questioning skepticism to those observations
  • formulating hypotheses based on the observations, and on inductive reasoning
  • experimental and measurement-based testing of all deductions drawn from the hypotheses
  • and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings.
https://bahaiteachings.org/how-to-investigate-things-for-yourself-not-rely-on-hearsay

Peer review is used to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication and peer review establishes the validity of research based upon the expert knowledge of other researchers in the discipline. It is not a valid tool for finding the truth about a religion! The only valid tool is independent investigation of truth. That includes reading any and all information you can find to read about the Baha’i Faith, including the Baha’i Writings and the history of the Baha’i Faith.

Peer review would fit into the last step. It's a tool to see where you might have made errors in your method or your calculations so you can go back and correct them. It works by giving others the chance to say, "I think you buggered it up your calculations of trajectory by not taking into account the Earth's rotation." That sort of thing.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Peer review is used to assess the validity, quality and often the originality of articles for publication and peer review establishes the validity of research based upon the expert knowledge of other researchers in the discipline. It is not a valid tool for finding the truth about a religion!
Special pleading fallacy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Me too. I honestly believe that Tb's fellow Bahai's will not be happy with her presentation of their beliefs.
I guess that is why my fellow Baha'is always give me Likes and Winners for my posts and some even start Conversations with me just to tell me how well I am doing in teaching the Faith. :rolleyes:

Last edited: