• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athiest Design

ironangel

Not necessarily true, there may be no first cause if cosmologicial theories are correct and the multiverse is infinite in time and space.
There's the "if", if cosmological theories are correct, what if its incorrect? Not neccesarily true you say which means you are open to the idea right (cause & effect)? how can there be no first cause?

Somkid

Well, if for the moment I am being objective and assuming that God exists I would say the universe is the way it is because God wants it that way who am I to argue with the divine plan evil exists to tempt good and see if it will turn to "the dark side". religious texts are confusing so one has to seek the truth for themselves.

Francine

It is all a part of Gods plan.

If I billed myself as Goodness Itself, the World's Best Tour Guide, and then dragged you through the worst part of the city and caused you to get mugged, when you sued me I would defend myself by saying the side trip to skidrow was part of my plan. And the six jurors would sigh, and find for the defendant.

Super Universe

Defender of God
If I billed myself as Goodness Itself, the World's Best Tour Guide, and then dragged you through the worst part of the city and caused you to get mugged, when you sued me I would defend myself by saying the side trip to skidrow was part of my plan. And the six jurors would sigh, and find for the defendant.

Ah, so there is no way for anything good to come out of something bad, right?

What if the mugger was a seventeen year old kid living on the streets who left home because his father was a drunk and would beat on him and he had nothing to eat for two days?

logician

There's the "if", if cosmological theories are correct, what if its incorrect? Not neccesarily true you say which means you are open to the idea right (cause & effect)? how can there be no first cause?

It's just as correct to say mass and energy have always existed, as to say some god has always existed. Since there is much more evidence of the former than the latter, I'll go with the former.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

What if the mugger was a seventeen year old kid living on the streets who left home because his father was a drunk and would beat on him and he had nothing to eat for two days?
Then said mugger should be brought up on appropriate charges and face the consequences of his actions.

rojse

RF Addict

What if the mugger was a drug addict? Or what if the mugger killed one of the people on tour? What if the mugger just left home because he didn't want to eat the vegetables?

What if a piano fell on the person's head?

The phrase "what if" only conjures up any unlikely scenario that is of little relevance to the discussion.

Super Universe

Defender of God
What if the mugger was a drug addict? Or what if the mugger killed one of the people on tour? What if the mugger just left home because he didn't want to eat the vegetables?

The phrase "what if" only conjures up any unlikely scenario that is of little relevance to the discussion.

The mugger should be brought up on charges? Sure, but every bad thing isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on how much information you have.

If the mugger was a drug addict? Then he obviously needs help and jail time.
If the mugger killed someone? Then he needs serious jail time.
If the mugger just left home because he was a brat? Then he needs jail time.

Your slew of "what if" questions does not change the first "what if" post that you avoided answering.

Is it a bad thing that a man who refuses to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle and gets into an accident and learns his lesson?

Smoke

Done here.

If you just had faith, you'd understand that god probably has a good reason for being a mugger. ;)

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Hooray for inane, empty statements.
Especially ones which cut both ways...
Prosecuted as the law mandates.
Shelters, soup kitchens. There are resources for those who choose to use them.

What if the mugger simply enjoyed inflicting pain upon others?
What ifs rarely amount to more than empty words.

PureX

Veteran Member
Lets say for a moment that God exists, now, what answers can you come up with as to why the universe, the earth, and life exists the way it does?

Now, we're not going to come up with anything that everyone will agree on so maybe if we can just try and come up with a few answers that at least come close to what you are willing to accept.

How about we try and find an answer to this question:
If God exists, why does He allow bad things to happen?
Good and bad are relative value assessments. Why does God allow bad things to happen according to our assessment of what is bad? Probably because God is not about us, or our ideas of good and bad.

kadzbiz

Lets say for a moment that God exists, now, what answers can you come up with as to why the universe, the earth, and life exists the way it does? .....

If God exists, He is not the God we have been shown by means of scripture. If God exists, He is not omnipotent or omniscient. He is fallible. This would explain a great deal.

Jer

Neutral
How about we try and find an answer to this question:
If God exists, why does He allow bad things to happen?

1. Free will, any interference from God restricts our choice of free will. In other words "He" neither allows or denies anything to happen, "He" creates the opportunity for us to choose and experience whatever we want
2. There are no bad things that have ever happened in the history of the universe :D

Francine

It's just as correct to say mass and energy have always existed, as to say some god has always existed. Since there is much more evidence of the former than the latter, I'll go with the former.

The problem is that the universe is running off a store of very low entropy, which equates to high order. Matter and energy by itself will only become more and more disorganized, like billiard balls during the course of a game. If there has been infinite time before us, then those billiard balls would be disorganized indeed. To rack them up into a nice neat triangle requires intelligence and design.

gnostic

The Lost One
Super Universe said:
The bad things, the evil, they can be prevented by God but then it would violate His law of free will.
If God is so interest in real free will, then why does he insist that there should be no other gods except him?

If he is really not interest interfering, then send prophets to punish people for not believing in him?

Why he did get people to create a religion for him?
Super Universe said:
Also, if God exists then there is likely a heaven. Heaven is supposed to be a perfect paradise so maybe the earth is not supposed to be a perfect paradise.
Sorry, but I don't believe in "perfection" either in heaven or on earth. Perfection is both an illusion and delusion, and it is really based on person's perception. I believe in imperfection. Just because something are not perfect, doesn't mean it doesn't mean there are no beauty or no logic in imperfection.

If every man loves blonde women with blue eyes, and let just say that all women on this planet have blonde hair and blue eyes, all these women are perfect, because of they have same features. Don't you think that life would get boring, very quickly, because this commonality of same features would become bland. Add just one girl with dark hair and brown eyes in this world, and would see that many men would lose interest in blondes, and go for the singular dark-haired woman, even if she was not a great beauty.

Paradise?

I am sure you have the expression of "one person's paradise is one person's hell"? (Or was that "one man's rubbish is one man's treasure" or something like that.) Some people like beaches, and would considered that paradise, but other people hate beaches. Some people tan easy, while others would just burn. Other people may find beaches are boring if all you do is lay there or swim, because there idea of excitement is doing something thrilling.

How can paradise (or this heaven) appeal to everyone?

Of course, God may not have beaches, considering that he would find scantily dressed women to be sinful. Then that would bring whole new problem of what would seem perfect, wouldn't it?

Super Universe

Defender of God
God doesn't insist a thing. The angels passed down this little bit of trivia. Accept it or don't accept it, it's your choice.

God sends prophets? Nope. More angel interference.

Why did God get people to create religion for Him? No religion represents God. When it comes to God, if you get even one tiny little thing wrong about Him and His universe then you don't qualify to be His representative and they got a lot wrong.

What if paradise isn't what someone else thinks is paradise but whatever YOU want it to be?

Quath

This has been a common problem in science. Someone thinks there should be a cause for the universe. Why? Probably because they see cause/effect everywhere and assume it must apply everywhere (even the places they can not see).

Quantum mechanics taught us that we should not make such assumptions. This is what Einstein balked against in his statement about God and dice. If Quantum Mechanics is showing what is true, then cause can happen after effect. "Why did the photon go along a certain path? Because in the future, someone put a mirror in a certain place." In a macroscopic sense, the way quantum mechanics works, everything we measure will follow the idea of cause/effect. However, what is happening undreneath it all (quantum waves) are not obeying cause/effect.

And this only applies to what happen inside the universe. It does not have to apply to the creation of the universe. That can follow different rules for all we know. But even if it did need to be caused, the "cause" could be something that happens at some time in the future (such as a Big Crunch or something else).

crystalonyx

The problem is that the universe is running off a store of very low entropy, which equates to high order. Matter and energy by itself will only become more and more disorganized, like billiard balls during the course of a game. If there has been infinite time before us, then those billiard balls would be disorganized indeed. To rack them up into a nice neat triangle requires intelligence and design.

Not really, there are many theories that say there is enough dark matter to cause the universe to collapse, eventually ending up in another big bang. Don't really need a "god" to rack up those atoms.