• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad things about Christianity

adilrockstar

Jensa said:
I'll be a first, then. :D I'm an "ex-Christian" (though I hesitate to label myself that) that was Southern Baptist, and was first distraught by the hypocrisy and heartlessness of those I went to church with, then realized that praying and hoping to one day feel something you could call a religious experience probably meant I wasn't cut out for this God thing. I had to go through a pagan phase before I figured that last bit out, though.

I love the Baptist but they don't worship the way I worship either. The first church I ever attended was Baptist. I wen there as a kid growing up. I did not like it. They do teach out of the bible, but they leave some stuff out.....like the Holy Spirit.:sad4:

God Bless

Adil

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
adilrockstar said:
I understand where you are coming from. It seem that every "ex-Christian" that I talk to is a former Catholic. I have some scripture that is from Revelation that I believe still applies today, I believe that it is in the Bible for this exact reason.
I think the Church at Laodicea is symbolic of the Catholic Church today.

No offense Catholics, I love you.

I wonder if it is possible for you to take a moment and try to imagine how your comments appear to a non-Christian?

Many people in this thread have commented that they do not like the judgmental attitude and exclusivity that they believe is part of Christianity. So how do you think they are likely to read this? Don’t you think that they may see this as just one more example judgment and division? I am sure this is not what you intended, but still you can see that it will be taken that way.

So back to the original question of “What do you not like about Christianity?” many people will point right to your post as an example. This may not be fair, but it is bound to happen.

edit – here is another example of judgement and division

adilrockstar said:
I love the Baptist but they don't worship the way I worship either. The first church I ever attended was Baptist. I wen there as a kid growing up. I did not like it. They do teach out of the bible, but they leave some stuff out.....like the Holy Spirit.
adilrockstar said:
God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

Radio Frequency X said:
1. The number one problem non-Christians have with Christianity is the self-righteous and meanspirited attitude of the Christians we meet. Christianity is given the appearance of being bigoted, hate-filled, and ruthlessly judgmental.

Now, I am drawn to the Personal God for the same reasons as you, because of the love, grace, and wisdom present in my experience of this God. I don't know much about any Messiah and have prayed that God help me understand what, if anything, is the significance of Christ. I've gotten no answers here, so I remain agnostic.

2. I don't really have a religion. Most of my beliefs about ethics come from Germanic Heathenism. My feelings about divinity in the world and in life come from ancient, southern European paganism. The belief in a personal God comes from ancient Christianity, Gnosticism, and certain Deist philosophies. I've been searching for the truth, and I'm not looking for labels. I want to believe in what is real, because I want to improve what I put in and take out of life.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately most people represent the qualities that some attach to Christianity(hypocracy, judgmental, etc.). That is why Christians are supposed to live differently. So we don't harm the integrity of Christianity. It is very evident that many have failed.

I learned alot by Reading my Bible. I sometimes learned more from it than I did in Church.

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

Maize said:

Here's the difference I experienced with those things in Christianity. Christianity was inclusive, if you were Christian. Christianity had a religious education program that cast other religions in a bad light and used fear to make kids believe it's own tenets. In Christianity you did outreach programs to help others, yes, but to also convert people and to evangelize to them. I was very turned off by those things.

Maybe where you attended. Where I attend it couldn't be any more different. If you ever decide to give it another shot try a "Spirit Filled" or "Assembly of God" church. I only suggest these because they have been great for me.

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

Mister_T said:
I think you have misunderstood me. I have no problem whatsoever with mention of God. I'm all for it and I do that myself (I am a Christian after all. Perhaps you missed that). I agree that God and Jesus take the sting out of death. My problem is that the man is preaching "fire and brimstone" when it is supposed to be a service in rememberance of my cousin. It is supposed to be providing everyone with the comfort that my cousin still lives on. Not pointing your finger all of the "godless sinners" in attendance.

There is a time and place for someone to preach to the "unsaved." My cousin's memorial is not that time or place. It's rude and tasteless.

Sorry I guess I don't understand. I wasn't there to hear the sermon. I am sorry for your loss.

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

Radio Frequency X said:
Well said. These are the problems I still have with the Christian Religion. While at that heart of the religion (the message of love, compassion, a personal relationship with god) is beautiful, the expression of the religion, or the method with which the message is expressed is unsettling. Even if I came to believe in 100% of Christian dogma, I would be uncomfortable associating myself with any Christian label or movement. I wouldn't have a problem going to a Christian Chruch, especially if there was good, educated teaching there, but it seems to me that part of being a Christian is being inclusive. At least, that is our historical experience.

Christians are supposed to LOVE everyone. Even those who don't love them, or agree with them. Unfortunately this isn't always done. Don't let one bad experience or even two ruin your understanding of Christians. Real Christians LOVE EVERYONE.

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

Maize said:

Here's the difference I experienced with those things in Christianity. Christianity was inclusive, if you were Christian. Christianity had a religious education program that cast other religions in a bad light and used fear to make kids believe it's own tenets. In Christianity you did outreach programs to help others, yes, but to also convert people and to evangelize to them. I was very turned off by those things.

Christians evangelize not out of selfishness, but the EXACT opposite. They evangelize because they want to save you from going to Hell. They do it out of love. At least my experience has been that way.

adilrockstar

fantôme profane said:
I wonder if it is possible for you to take a moment and try to imagine how your comments appear to a non-Christian?

Many people in this thread have commented that they do not like the judgmental attitude and exclusivity that they believe is part of Christianity. So how do you think they are likely to read this? Don’t you think that they may see this as just one more example judgment and division? I am sure this is not what you intended, but still you can see that it will be taken that way.

So back to the original question of “What do you not like about Christianity?” many people will point right to your post as an example. This may not be fair, but it is bound to happen.

edit – here is another example of judgement and division

I think it is possible that they may take it that way, but I cannot control what everyone thinks. That is an impossible task. I have stated what I believe is the complete truth. If it rings true to some and untrue to others, well that is in God's hands.

God Bless

Adil

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
adilrockstar said:
Christians are supposed to LOVE everyone. Even those who don't love them, or agree with them. Unfortunately this isn't always done. Don't let one bad experience or even two ruin your understanding of Christians. Real Christians LOVE EVERYONE.

God Bless

Adil

I'm talking about a long life experience. Not just one or two. I'm also talking about historical experience: 2,000 years of inclusiveness, self-righteousness, institutional corruption, violence, and intolerance. These things still existence today. Now, we tend not to focus on religious violence that comes from the Christian Community, and we overlook Christian organizations like Godhatesfags or Godhatesamerica, because of the massive increase in Islamic violence. But the institutional difficulties still exist. I'm not talking about ideals or religious beliefs, or even religious experience. I'm talking about general realities as concerns the various Christian institutions and organizations.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
adilrockstar said:
I love the Baptist but they don't worship the way I worship either. The first church I ever attended was Baptist. I wen there as a kid growing up. I did not like it. They do teach out of the bible, but they leave some stuff out.....like the Holy Spirit.:sad4:
I can't say I've ever known a Baptist church to omit a part of the trinity. In fact, the last time I attended one (some time last year, I believe), the sermon was specifically about the Holy Spirit.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
adilrockstar said:
Maybe where you attended. Where I attend it couldn't be any more different. If you ever decide to give it another shot try a "Spirit Filled" or "Assembly of God" church. I only suggest these because they have been great for me.

God Bless

Adil

No thanks, I'm happy where I am now with people I know care about me.

adilrockstar

Radio Frequency X said:
I'm talking about a long life experience. Not just one or two. I'm also talking about historical experience: 2,000 years of inclusiveness, self-righteousness, institutional corruption, violence, and intolerance. These things still existence today. Now, we tend not to focus on religious violence that comes from the Christian Community, and we overlook Christian organizations like Godhatesfags or Godhatesamerica, because of the massive increase in Islamic violence. But the institutional difficulties still exist. I'm not talking about ideals or religious beliefs, or even religious experience. I'm talking about general realities as concerns the various Christian institutions and organizations.

I don't uderstand how you think the Christian community is violent. I am a Christian and all of the Christians I know are not violent. Jesus taught patience, love, and mercy. How could you possibly think this? Some people have claimed to be Christians and done some bad things, that means that they claimed to be Christians but their fruit showed otherwise. To me it is very obvious that they were not Christians, they were fakes.

Christ teachings are very clear, when someone deviates from His teachings they did so on their own, not by the command of God.

God Bless

Adil

Bishka

Veteran Member
SoyLeche said:
Becky - you've fallen into the same trap as many others. None of your arguments are about Christianity - they are about people who profess Christianity.

Ah dang.

:slap: me won't you?

gnomon

What do you not like about Christianity? It's a religion. Though it's not really dislike I hold but just indifference.
How does your Religion differ? I don't follow one.
What drew you to your Religion? I don't follow one.

Take out the word Christianity and insert any other religious (including spiritual) belief and my answers would be the same.

adilrockstar

Jensa said:
I can't say I've ever known a Baptist church to omit a part of the trinity. In fact, the last time I attended one (some time last year, I believe), the sermon was specifically about the Holy Spirit.

I don't think, I know. Remember that I went to a Baptist Church for many years. I live in Central Texas, you know "Southern Baptist". I know what they teach. Also I never stated that they don't believe in the Holy Spirit as existing. They teach that the Gifts of the Holy Spirit are no longer at work. Like speaking in tongues, healing, interpretation, prophecy etc. They don't believe that the Holy Spirit empowers people to do miracles by the power of God. This is the scripture that they use out of the Bible to substantiate this claim:

1 Corrinthians 13:11

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

God Bless

Adil

I don't think miracles are childish.

adilrockstar

Maize said:

No thanks, I'm happy where I am now with people I know care about me.

I never asked you to go, I said if you ever wanted to go here are some suggestions. I am not here to convert you, just inform you.

God Bless

Adil

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
adilrockstar said:
I don't uderstand how you think the Christian community is violent. I am a Christian and all of the Christians I know are not violent. Jesus taught patience, love, and mercy. How could you possibly think this? Some people have claimed to be Christians and done some bad things, that means that they claimed to be Christians but their fruit showed otherwise. To me it is very obvious that they were not Christians, they were fakes.

Christ teachings are very clear, when someone deviates from His teachings they did so on their own, not by the command of God.

God Bless

Adil

Christians cannot escape responsibility for the violence done in the name of their God and their religion, merely by saying that they "aren't real Christians". The same is true of Heathens who have to deal with the racist, white-power groups that spring up in their ranks, or for Satanists who have to deal with their more fascist and vicious members, or for Islam with their many extremist schools, terrorists, "strongmen", and theocrats. Christians appear quick to point out that Wicca is an evil religion, because one time there was this one "Wiccan" who did some evil thing. Catholics and Protestants do this to Mormons too. Nearly every non-Christian has felt the intolerance of Christianity throughout their lives, and if you think that ignoring the pain that has been caused is going to make anyone feel better about Christianity, you are mistaken.