• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad things about Christianity

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
adilrockstar said:
I think the Church at Laodicea is symbolic of the Catholic Church today.

No offense Catholics, I love you.

The Laodicean church were so busy enjoying the pleasure of the world that they didn’t hear Jesus knocking at their door. Money, security, material possessions etc., can be dangerous, because their temporary satisfaction makes us indifferent to God’s offer of EVERLASTING SATISFACTION.
We obviously don't know the same Catholics!

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
adilrockstar said:
Can you elaborate?

Well, I don't agree that man is separated from God, nor do I believe in the Trinity, or that Jesus is God's 'only begotten son.' I also don't believe in biblical infallibility, Papal supremacy, 'preaching the Gospel' as many understand one should, etc.

adilrockstar

fullyveiled muslimah said:
Original sin and the trinity was just too much for me. I could not accept original sin, because it made no sense to me that if God is all powerful that He could not forgive Adam and his wife Eve for one mistake. I also disagree with being born into sins. Thats one thing that drew me towards the study of many other religions, but disbelief in the trinity is what ultimately drew me towards Islam. Islam teaches that all people are born muslim actually. That means that we are born completely innocent and acceptable by Allah. We are born good with the propensity to commit evil. Certainly we were not born evil.

The trinity is a story in and of itself. I just could not wrap my mind around the fact that Jesus was indeed a human being and that I worshipped him. As I read more about it, Jesus himself essentially denies he is God when he says that no man has seen God. The idea of the trinity went against what Jesus was talking about, and was not in conjunction with the rest of the bible. These were my personal hang-ups.

The way some christians proselytize is what gave it a bad rap. Everyone does not invite towards their religion that way. It seems a little condescending sometimes.

Thanks for the response!

The way I read the Bible, it doesn't say that Jesus was a man that we worship. He was the Son of God who came down to earth in the physical form of a man. He was in a physical human body but was not a mere man. Maybe this will help you understand the way I view it.

The Trinity is debated to this day by Christian Scholars. I personally believe in the Trinity. Three speperate members of the God Head. Kinda like the President, Vice President, and Secretary of Defense...ha ha:D

God Bless

Adil

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
That man has turned Christianity into a 3 ring circus of personal viewpoints,philosophies,entertainment and interpretations that appeal to the lifestyle and mindsets of those who profess to be christian,when in actuality they are nothing more than those who enjoy a title and a religious venue.

Christianity is Christ centred not man centred and it's about walking in the footsteps of and examplifying Christ to the "t"

Bishka

Veteran Member
What I don't like about Christianity is certain Christians and certain Christian sects telling me that I do no believe in the 'right' Jesus Christ, and that I am going to hell because I don't believe in the 'right' Jesus Christ.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Saviour and the ONLY way that's getting me to heaven. How am I still going to hell?

That disgusts me, along without the people who think that way

Edit: It also bothers me that there are those Christians who think that their brand is the only way to heaven and if you don't believe exactly as they do you are automatically going to heaven.

And that they so readily condemn other faiths.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
adilrockstar said:
The Trinity has been debated from every Religion. Even Christian debate this issue.
This is sad because it sometimes has caused a divide in the Churches.
My personal view is that the Trinity is real. I get this view from the Bible. The word "Trinity" isn't mentioned but the three seperate parts are mentioned. The "title" Trinity was given later.

God Bless

Adil
I wonder if the additions to 1 John 5:7-8 had anything to do with it...
But technically, that would be a new subject for a new thread.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Feathers in Hair said:
I'm not sure how this can be debated without anyone attacking a religion or without prostetyzing.

That's the first thing I thought Meggie.

I also love the faith I was born into - that is Hinduism. In the majority of religions there are some teachings which will differ, but at the end of the day, those of us who pray to God, all pray to the same God. According to the Rig Veda, Truth is one but is called by different names. In light of this, we all pray to the same God but in different ways. What I love about Hinduism the most is the teaching that God is manifested in all aspects of creation - people, animals, plants etc.and should therefore be treated with love and respect. When we greet others, we say "Namaste" meaning, "I bow to the Divinity within you."

adilrockstar

Hema said:
That's the first thing I thought Meggie.

I also love the faith I was born into - that is Hinduism. In the majority of religions there are some teachings which will differ, but at the end of the day, those of us who pray to God, all pray to the same God. According to the Rig Veda, Truth is one but is called by different names. In light of this, we all pray to the same God but in different ways. What I love about Hinduism the most is the teaching that God is manifested in all aspects of creation - people, animals, plants etc.and should therefore be treated with love and respect. When we greet others, we say "Namaste" meaning, "I bow to the Divinity within you."

"Namaste" that is really beautiful. I don't greet people in this way but I do offer love and kindness to those that I meat and interact with. Jesus commands that we Love one another, and that we treat others as we would want to be treated. So I guess as far as that goes we are very similar.

adilrockstar

Mestemia said:
I wonder if the additions to 1 John 5:7-8 had anything to do with it...
But technically, that would be a new subject for a new thread.

Not to get off topic but check this one:

Matthew 28:19

adilrockstar

roli said:
That man has turned Christianity into a 3 ring circus of personal viewpoints,philosophies,entertainment and interpretations that appeal to the lifestyle and mindsets of those who profess to be christian,when in actuality they are nothing more than those who enjoy a title and a religious venue.

Christianity is Christ centred not man centred and it's about walking in the footsteps of and examplifying Christ to the "t"

What man are u speaking of? :confused:

SoyLeche

meh...
beckysoup61 said:
What I don't like about Christianity is certain Christians and certain Christian sects telling me that I do no believe in the 'right' Jesus Christ, and that I am going to hell because I don't believe in the 'right' Jesus Christ.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Saviour and the ONLY way that's getting me to heaven. How am I still going to hell?

That disgusts me, along without the people who think that way

Edit: It also bothers me that there are those Christians who think that their brand is the only way to heaven and if you don't believe exactly as they do you are automatically going to heaven.

And that they so readily condemn other faiths.
Becky - you've fallen into the same trap as many others. None of your arguments are about Christianity - they are about people who profess Christianity.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
SoyLeche said:
Becky - you've fallen into the same trap as many others. None of your arguments are about Christianity - they are about people who profess Christianity.

It is very difficult to seperate the two.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
*taps fingers impatiently* where to start the list? i'm not going to even answer this question as i don't want to be seen as attacking chritians and plus it would be really bad karma!

SoyLeche

meh...
darkpenguin said:
*taps fingers impatiently* where to start the list? i'm not going to even answer this question as i don't want to be seen as attacking chritians and plus it would be really bad karma!
I fixed your post.

SoyLeche

meh...
darkpenguin said:
*taps fingers impatiently* where to start the list? i'm not going to even answer this question as i don't want to be seen as attacking some chritians and plus it would be really bad karma!
I fixed my fix of your post.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose that to some extent how you seperate Christianity from Christians dependes on how you see the relationship between text based Christianity and tradition based Christianity.

SoyLeche

meh...
Sunstone said:
I suppose that to some extent how you seperate Christianity from Christians dependes on how you see the relationship between text based Christianity and tradition based Christianity.
Yeah - but I would think that the "text based" christians are the ones more people have problems with - and they are easier to separate from Christianity itself.