• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck As Batman?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think people tend to underestimate Affleck's work in the industry. It could be because he IS seen as a pretty-boy type and that's an indicator that he has to continue to prove himself with his ability. But Hollywoodland, Gone Baby Gone, Argo, The Town, and his work on Good Will Hunting shows he has done more work in fluff, action, and dramatic film work than what is being considered.

But none of that is about his acting. He is a good director, and has done some good work. He's not even a horrible actor like Keanu Reeves. But he hasn't shown any special acting talent, and his usual persona is not right at all for Batman.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Who would a good actor be?

It seems to me that one of the root causes of current Batman popularity is that it is so easy to project one's expectations of how he should be into the character. He is appealing because he is fairly contradictory and ill-defined, yet those flaws are all too easy for overlook.

I swear, I have a hard time imagining a better suit for the role than Affleck. But then again, I have not been a Batman fan for over 30 years.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
But none of that is about his acting. He is a good director, and has done some good work. He's not even a horrible actor like Keanu Reeves. But he hasn't shown any special acting talent, and his usual persona is not right at all for Batman.

He received high praise for his acting in Hollywoodland, which was about George Reeves (Superman) of all people.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I saw something on Twitter not too long ago that made me giggle. It said something like "Get jeers for Daredevil. Work your *** off for 10 years to get back in the public's good graces. Win an Oscar. Get cast as Batman and BANG! you're back to Gigli again."

LOL

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I saw something on Twitter not too long ago that made me giggle. It said something like "Get jeers for Daredevil. Work your *** off for 10 years to get back in the public's good graces. Win an Oscar. Get cast as Batman and BANG! you're back to Gigli again."
LOL
The Oscar didn't fully redeem him.
The movie was slightly above adequate, & hardly one of the greats, eg, Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Gigli.
Had to IMDB that one.
It has an incredibly low 2.4 rating.
Although it did score 0.1 higher than Pia Zadora's "The Lonely Lady".

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Interesting. I haven't seen high praise for it. I've seen people say he did OK with it, though.

Yes. He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor by the Broadcast Film Association, by the Golden Globes, and by the Chicago Film Critics Association. He also was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role by BAFTA for "Argo", to which there were a lot of controversy over how he was thought to be snubbed by the Oscars for his portrayal.

Which is why I say to wait and see.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The Oscar didn't fully redeem him.
The movie was slightly above adequate, & hardly one of the greats, eg, Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Gigli.
Had to IMDB that one.
It has an incredibly low 2.4 rating.
Although it did score 0.1 higher than Pia Zadora's "The Lonely Lady".

He won a Razzie Award for his role in Gigli and for his role in Daredevil. Two years in a row for Affleck to get the Razzie. I say that's quite an accomplishment. :p

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm okay with Affleck being Batman. I wasn't thrilled when I heard it (Batman is my favorite superhero, I don't want them to screw him up like Clooney did), but I thought about how skeptical people were of Heath Ledger until he did fantastic as the Joker. Affleck has been in some legit movies lately, like Argo (which Affleck also directed).

-He looks the part, physically.
-He can be serious, when needed. Man of Steel was serious, I think they'll keep a similar tone.
-Nolan hasn't really been involved with a critical flop yet, and he's still involved to a certain degree.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You may want to rethink that policy (at least for the Batman trilogy; I didn't realize that Nolan's Superman movie came out yet). None of the batman movies, including the first one of this trilogy, made much of a splash in philosophical, psychological, theological, and social science literature. One expects, especially with the tragic shootings and Ledger's death, greater impact but not necessarily due to more sophisticated plots, narratives, etc.

So it is not particularly surprising to find journals like Journal of Religion & Popular Culture or Perspectives in Psychiatric Care (among many others) to feature articles about one or more of the movies. I have to say, however, that I wouldn't have expected to find articles like "Myeloid-derived suppressor cells: the dark knight or the joker in viral infections?" in a peer-reviewed journal like Immunological Reviews. Nor would one expect the Journal of Internal Medicine to publish, in the letters to the editor section, a paper like "The dark knight of syncope: the urologist!"

And then there's the academic volumes, from Batman & Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul to chapter 2 ("The Best Batman Story: The Dark Knight Returns") of Beautiful Things in Popular Culture.

It's not often one finds everyone from theologians to psychiatrists writing papers in journals about film characters or films.
These Batman movies were indeed some of the most critically acclaimed superhero movies ever. The genre is not one that is typically well-received by more critical viewers, but these Batman movies, along with the first Iron Man movie, kind of established what a modern superhero movie is like. It either has to be serious and complex (Batman), or it has to sort of make fun of itself and be well acted (Marvel's approach, with some of their better ones).

-Batman Begins focused on themes of Justice, about what sort of actions are appropriate against evil.
-Dark Knight focused on terrorism, and how to respond to terrorism (a contemporary issue at the time).
-Dark Knight Rises focused on class warfare (a contemporary issue at the time), deception, fanaticism towards an idea, etc.

Because most of what I have seen Affleck in are Kevin Smith movies, I can only laugh thinking of Bartleby playing Batman.

Kevin Smith once said that if he made a Superman movie (and he did write a script for one once), he would have picked Affleck for Superman. -_-`

Anyone know why Bale didn't sign up for this one?
He said he felt they already completed it with the trilogy and he wants to move on. He did say, however, that he would maybe consider it if Nolan asked him to.

The thing is, the Man of Steel universe is supposedly in a different thematic universe than the Dark Knight trilogy. That trilogy is kind of considered to be stand-alone, with no Superman flying around, no magical or alien heroes. They toned Batman down a bit to try to have a semi-realistic depiction: he's not a super-genius in the movies like he is in the comics or in the DC animated universe, doesn't have a space station with the Justice League, doesn't deal with global issues, doesn't fight aliens like Darkseid, etc.

The Batman in the Man of Steel universe is supposed to be a different take on Batman, a version of him that can be shown in a larger scope, because they still want to do a Justice League movie. Using a different actor helps put a divide between the two movie universes.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
elliotnessscarofthebat.jpg

Please tell me I am not the only one expecting this to happen to Batman. The Boston Dark Knight will be so unbearably awful.

"Eeeh Joker, yeh. You be messin' with me"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Evans did a great job with Cap.
It's like enjoying raw oysters, for some it's great, & for others our gag reflex prevents downing'm.
One of my problems is I just didn't find him a compelling character. It could be the writing though.

For me, the first great super hero movie was Darkman. (Superman was just too Wonder Bread.)
The mythology, the plot, the score, the great over the top acting. So I want my super heroes &
villains to inspire me.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's like enjoying raw oysters, for some it's great, & for others our gag reflex prevents downing'm.
One of my problems is I just didn't find him a compelling character. It could be the writing though.

For me, the first great super hero movie was Darkman. (Superman was just too Wonder Bread.)
The mythology, the plot, the score, the great over the top acting. So I want my super heroes &
villains to inspire me.

That's fine, but it sounds more like a problem with things other than Evans's acting, as you point out.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I personally don't care.

He has done bad stuff, but he has also done some really good stuff as well. I think he is a good actor and director.

I will hold my judgments until I see the film for myself. Remember when it was announced that Heath Ledger would play the Joker? People hated the idea.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People criticize Chris Evans a lot, but I feel like he generally fits well for the roles he is cast in.