• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck As Batman?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
People criticize Chris Evans a lot, but I feel like he generally fits well for the roles he is cast in.

He does. The only problem going into Cap, though, was that the roles he was cast in before that were the opposite of Captain America.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've gotten used to changing Batman's identity and his apparent resistance to age. For the last 100 years he's stayed between 20 and 60 years old. Every movie has its bits of suspended reality required for you to enjoy the film. I've gotten used to Batman's changing faces. Besides, its not like we're talking about a new Star Trek captain. No big deal. :cigar:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I've gotten used to changing Batman's identity and his apparent resistance to age. For the last 100 years he's stayed between 20 and 60 years old. Every movie has its bits of suspended reality required for you to enjoy the film. I've gotten used to Batman's changing faces. Besides, its not like we're talking about a new Star Trek captain. No big deal. :cigar:

Side plea: if they ever do a Batman Beyond live action movie, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET KEVIN CONROY IN THE ROLE OF OLD BRUCE WAYNE!!! ):)shout:shout)(

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Also, it's official that Lex Luthor is going to be played in the movie by the dad from Malcolm in the Middle:

Malcolm-In-the-Middle-bryan-cranston-ifc-breaking-bad.jpg

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He'd better not slack off though. He's going to be compared to all the previous Lex Luthor actors.

Enai de a lukal

This is going to be a train wreck. They are making a huge mistake using Ben Affleck as Batman. Who knows though, apparently people said the same thing about Heath Ledger as the Joker and he was amazing in that role, so maybe we will be surprised. I just can't picture Ben Affleck as Batman, especially considering he will be competing with Christian Bale's version. He might even beat George Clooney as the worst Batman.

Ben Affleck is a joke as Batman, PARTICULARLY following Christian Bale, who absolutely knocked the role out of the park (I'll just go ahead and say it- Bale was the BEST BATMAN EVER)- they probably should just stop making Batman movies altogether, as they're never going to top or even come close to Nolan's trilogy.

And if you are holding out hope that Ben Affleck will surprise you- watch Daredevil. (but be warned, its awful)

freethinker44

they probably should just stop making Batman movies altogether, as they're never going to top or even come close to Nolan's trilogy.

I wouldn't say stop making them, there is still plenty of decent comic story-lines they haven't touched yet. I don't like comparing movies based off the same thing. I just treat them like separate movies that happen to share the same name. Take Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger as the Joker, for example. You can't compare those two, because they were both amazing in the roles they played and honestly, I can't see Ledger playing the Joker in Batman and I can't see Nicholson as the Joker in The Dark Knight. They were both perfect for their particular incarnation as the Joker.

And if you are holding out hope that Ben Affleck will surprise you- watch Daredevil. (but be warned, its awful)

I've tried to watch Daredevil half a dozen times or so, I have never once been able to sit through the whole thing.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I liked Ben Afflleck in that one movie with Bruce Willis..and Steven Tyler's daughter. Other than that I can not stand him as an actor.But who knows maybe I will love him as Batman.Cuz I love Batman.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've heard people say this, but I still can't figure out why.

Bale does not quite look like the tall, dark-haired, self-assured person that Bruce Wayne must be. And the Batman of those movies (the costume and its behavior, that is) is, well, quite boring.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I've heard people say this, but I still can't figure out why.

A lot of people hated the growly voice which sometimes made the lines a bit hard to hear. There's other reasons that might vary from person to person. My own opinion has already been stated. ^_^

Pastek

Sunni muslim
मैत्रावरुणिः;3468046 said:
Ew. Ben Affleck should be charged with high crimes against acting.

LoL

I think he was ok in Changing Lanes. But true, not a good actor, and certainly not for Batman.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Ben Affleck has the gravitas and charisma of a cold turd. And marginally less acting ability. Personally, I've always found Batman to be kind of a shallow, silly character, so it might be that Affleck will be fine for the part.

Enai de a lukal

I wouldn't say stop making them, there is still plenty of decent comic story-lines they haven't touched yet. I don't like comparing movies based off the same thing. I just treat them like separate movies that happen to share the same name. Take Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger as the Joker, for example. You can't compare those two, because they were both amazing in the roles they played and honestly, I can't see Ledger playing the Joker in Batman and I can't see Nicholson as the Joker in The Dark Knight. They were both perfect for their particular incarnation as the Joker.
Sure, but we can also evaluate the overall quality of the performance and the overall quality of the story and the movie in general- and in that respect, I think Heath Ledger and the Nolan trilogy generally take the cake. I'd even go so far as to say that Heath Ledger's performance was among the very best portrayals of villian, ever, in any genre- he absolutely knocked it out of the park. And don't get me wrong, I love the older Batman movies, including Jack as the Joker- but it isn't like they're completely apples and oranges that we can't compare them at all.

(and as I was raised on the Batman comics and the cartoon, part of it for me was that, for all the artistic license the Nolan trilogy took with the characters, it seemed to best capture the dark atmosphere of the comics and the show- which is a huge part of the draw they had, for me at least)

I've tried to watch Daredevil half a dozen times or so, I have never once been able to sit through the whole thing.
I doubt you're missing anything, although I commend you on your effort- I gave up halfway through my first go and haven't tried again since. Casting Ben Affleck as Batman is an absolute head-scratcher; sure, nobody is going to top Bale (I mean, his growl of a Batman voice gives me the shivers!) but at least get somebody who can put up a fight! Ben Affleck?! Please!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
People criticize Chris Evans a lot, but I feel like he generally fits well for the roles he is cast in.

I hope you are not recommending him for the new Batman :p. I loved him as Captain America actually

He is 6 feet like Christian Bale. This is exactly what we do not want also the comic book at hand features Batman when he is 60!

Of course that will not be done but Batman must look older. Chris Evans does not hold up to the role in any shape or form. It is not a matter of if he can play Batman.
It is a matter of if he can play this specific interpretation of Batman as features in the Dark Knight Returns graphic novel.