• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck As Batman?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This actually makes things a bit interesting for me. I'm not thrilled about the idea of doing Batman again so soon, it seems abusive. But this cast choice is pretty interesting and unexpected, and makes me eager to see what Affleck will do with it.

I really like Affleck, and while i don't think he's displayed in anyway being a great actor so far, i think he has the potential to pull off something like this. He's a very good director, and still a good actor (mostly lately). He'll be working with another very good director, and then there's also Nolan's involvement.

This certainly raises my hopes and my interest.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I hope you are not recommending him for the new Batman :p. I loved him as Captain America actually

He is 6 feet like Christian Bale. This is exactly what we do not want also the comic book at hand features Batman when he is 60!

Of course that will not be done but Batman must look older. Chris Evans does not hold up to the role in any shape or form. It is not a matter of if he can play Batman.
It is a matter of if he can play this specific interpretation of Batman as features in the Dark Knight Returns graphic novel.
No I'm not recommending Evans for Batman. Evans was brought up as a comparison to Affleck- two actors that get a lot of criticism.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ben Affleck has the gravitas and charisma of a cold turd. And marginally less acting ability. Personally, I've always found Batman to be kind of a shallow, silly character, so it might be that Affleck will be fine for the part.
Well, Affleck produced, directed, and starred in the most critically acclaimed movie of 2012, which also did well in the box office and was well-received by viewers. A lot of his movies have been successful, though the ones that did flop, flopped hard. Jersey Girl, Gigli, Daredevil, Pearl Harbor, and Paycheck.

If Batman is a shallow character, then I think basically every character is shallow.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Well, Affleck produced, directed, and starred in the most critically acclaimed movie of 2012, which also did well in the box office and was well-received by viewers. A lot of his movies have been successful, though the ones that did flop, flopped hard. Jersey Girl, Gigli, Daredevil, Pearl Harbor, and Paycheck.

If Batman is a shallow character, then I think basically every character is shallow.

I think some folks are jealous of his pretty boy image, and they just don't want him to succeed because they wish they had his good looks and his money and his totally hot wife and good marriage....

Oh NO SHE DI-INT!!

freethinker44

I think some folks are jealous of his pretty boy image

That's exactly why he isn't good for the role. Batman/Bruce Wayne is not a pretty boy and Ben Affleck is not tough. Unless he has been holding back his entire career, I don't think he has the acting chops to pull off Batman.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think some folks are jealous of his pretty boy image, and they just don't want him to succeed because they wish they had his good looks and his money and his totally hot wife and good marriage....

Oh NO SHE DI-INT!!
:D

That's exactly why he isn't good for the role. Batman/Bruce Wayne is not a pretty boy and Ben Affleck is not tough. Unless he has been holding back his entire career, I don't think he has the acting chops to pull off Batman.
Actually, Bruce Wayne's character is supposed to be exceedingly handsome, and a playboy, as part of his cover to make sure nobody suspects he could possibly be Batman.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

Oh NO SHE DI-INT!!

*pillow fight*

Ew. Gross Mcgee Affleck isn't that good looking. Now, Brad Pitt in the movie Troy: that's what I call really good looking. Afflect isn't even a "pretty boy". He's pretty much an insult to the art of acting. There are hundreds of male actors that are prettier and much better looking.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3473383 said:
*pillow fight*

Ew. Gross Mcgee Affleck isn't that good looking. Now, Brad Pitt in the movie Troy: that's what I call really good looking. Afflect isn't even a "pretty boy". He's pretty much an insult to the art of acting. There are hundreds of male actors that are prettier and much better looking.
ben_affleck_rect.jpg

Ben Affleck's beautiful, award winning face is unamused.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
"Heath Ledger?!?! The guy from Knight's Tale and Broke Back Mountain? The Joker is completely ruined..."

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Bale does not quite look like the tall, dark-haired, self-assured person that Bruce Wayne must be.

I think when most people say that, they mean specifically that he wasn't a good Batman. I haven't heard many people criticize his Bruce Wayne. I've read comics for 20 years, and he was a great Bruce Wayne to me. The only thing he lacks is size, but that's not very important in my opinion.

And the Batman of those movies (the costume and its behavior, that is) is, well, quite boring.

To each his own, I guess.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Someone made this sort of mash up teaser trailer to the new movie. They didn't do too bad a job with it. Makes it not so unreasonable an idea I guess.

[youtube]U4U4he3GgC4[/youtube]

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Draka said:
Someone made this sort of mash up teaser trailer to the new movie. They didn't do too bad a job with it. Makes it not so unreasonable an idea I guess.
As I recall, Draka, you were not too happy with the "Why I'm not Batman" thread. What about acting? Do you think that you could or couldn't handle the role?

Draka

Wonder Woman
As I recall, Draka, you were not too happy with the "Why I'm not Batman" thread. What about acting? Do you think that you could or couldn't handle the role?

If you recall it so well, you would recall the main reason I said I'm not Batman was that I'm a woman. :p Acting chops aside, I think I'd have a bit of a time with the wardrobe. I don't think I could pull this off:
batman-suit_mfHK5_5965.jpg

Now, put me in the the role of Catwoman or Poison Ivy...we may have something. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Many of the more commercially succesfull ones are. Batman, like Wolverine, has been damaged by its own success. Too much exposition, too many simultaneous conflicting yet canonical takes on the character, too many concessions to commercial reality.

The character obviously resonates with and pleases a lot of people, though. If I had to guess, it may be in part because there is just so much of him around that those seeking a particular take on him can easily satisfy themselves. Also, ever since the mid-1980s he has been specifically shaped to appeal to an individualistic mindset that happened to grown at that time.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That's exactly why he isn't good for the role. Batman/Bruce Wayne is not a pretty boy

That he is a pretty boy has often been a significant plot point. Admitedly, that was more true before Bruce Wayne was reinvented as a cover identity instead of a real (fictional) person.

and Ben Affleck is not tough. Unless he has been holding back his entire career, I don't think he has the acting chops to pull off Batman.

Personal preferences, then. I actually checked all the previous movie Batmen, all the way back to Adam West even, and I think that only George Clooney can give Affleck a run for his money.