• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Fails

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
It is even more disgusting when you realize that he is saying his god could not tell them to
After reading this a couple of times, my initial response is just OK, but incomplete.

I see what you are saying here. Revealed truth seems to have been very one sided, authoratarian, and male biased, when God could have just set them straight with flaming shrubbery. No mention of why not either.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, this thread took a little turn sideways ... Lol :)

No worries, I guess it was bound to happen.

Just to remind folk of what I was really after: what key contradiction, moral terror text, error or whatnot, is most supportive of a non-inerrantist position?

And @QuestioningMind
Using female pronouns for me has made my night, thank you :). I'm quite comfortable with either, but that was cute whether intentional or not :)
It happens a lot here. Everywhere really. I think it is a good question. Positions on both sides are just strong and divided.

As a Christian, I think it is important to recognize and understand the flaws in the Bible. How those have been interpreted and used to produce bad fruit.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because sex was considered marrying. But yes, letting deflowered girls (who we're considered valuable only when pure) rot and die in poverty was a much better option
No sweat! The rules for selling your daughter into slavery are set out in Exodus 21:7!

A place for everyone and everyone in their place, sort of thing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, this thread took a little turn sideways ... Lol :)

No worries, I guess it was bound to happen.

Just to remind folk of what I was really after: what key contradiction, moral terror text, error or whatnot, is most supportive of a non-inerrantist position?

And @QuestioningMind
Using female pronouns for me has made my night, thank you :). I'm quite comfortable with either, but that was cute whether intentional or not :)
Continuing the aside. You look "female" to me. I am not going to judge either way. Though I have inadvertently insulted some of our transsexual members in the past an apology, an explanation that i am old, and trying not to repeat my errors seems to do the trick. Welcome to the forums.

Galateasdream

Continuing the aside. You look "female" to me. I am not going to judge either way. Though I have inadvertently insulted some of our transsexual members in the past an apology, an explanation that i am old, and trying not to repeat my errors seems to do the trick. Welcome to the forums.

Well thank you. :).

You don't have to worry about ever inadvertently offending me, both because I don't use the trans label because of all the internal politics with that identifier (I'm genderqueer, but that's a side issue), and because I don't care two hoots about political correctness for the sake of it. I'm more interested in kindness, politeness and sincerity than any form of silly language policing :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well thank you. :).

You don't have to worry about ever inadvertently offending me, both because I don't use the trans label because of all the internal politics with that identifier (I'm genderqueer, but that's a side issue), and because I don't care two hoots about political correctness for the sake of it. I'm more interested in kindness, politeness and sincerity than any form of silly language policing :)
And I don't know and really don't care what genderqueer is. I figure live and let live. I did not always feel that way. I was brought up in a time that just might have been a little bit homophobic, and that tends to rub off on a person. When I understood that I can play with the people that I want to play with it does not harm me if other people can play with the people they want to play with most of it went away.

amorphous_constellation

The bit with the she-bears mauling children seems kinda stark morally. What kinda psycho imagined that 3000 years ago. Would jesus send out the bears on a bunch of little kids who laughed at him?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
What bible fail is the most 'oof!' in your opinion?

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.
For me the epic fail is Yahweh, the omnipotent, omniscient Lord God who obviously because of his omnipotence, omniscience knew that after creating Heaven and Earth that He the Almighty would then create Man and Woman, and then enable and allow Sin. Then the Great Mighty Awesome God would send His only Son down to Earth from Heaven to painfully excruciatingly die for these Sins that our God The Father enabled and allowed in the first place.

If this ain't the modus operandi of a psycho serial killer, I dunno what is!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I do not see contradictions only misinterpretation and making comparisons to things of today that were different to things of yesterday. Your words are a contradiction to your faith. You have more in common it seems with Athiests IMO. Why call yourself Christian when you do not believe Gods' Word? This in itself is a contradiction. Where are you leading people by what you post to God or away from God? - What is your fruit?
Honesty is the fruit.

sojourner

Imagine you could only point to one issue with the bible to convince someone that it was flawed and not inerrent. What is the most damning biblical mistake that really can't be harmonised, contextualised, or explained away?

It can be a contradiction, moral failing, unhistorical event, scientific error, misquote, or whatever.
For me, one of the most glaring is that, in Genesis 1, the earth is flat, the sky is a rigid dome with the heavenly bodies fixed upon it, and there is water above this “dome.”

sojourner

I would say you making a thread like this and calling yourself a Christian trying to deny the very words of God you claim to believe and follow - shameful
I would say that buying into the utter fantasy that ancient texts were written by God and are infallible is buying into a falsehood. I would further say that standing in judgment about the post based on such a fantasy is not what Jesus would want us to do.

PruePhillip

Genesis states that "God commanded the sea to bring forth life."
For five thousand years that must have caused much amusement
to bible readers.

PruePhillip

Daniel spoke of the Romans destroying Israel and the Temple, and "cutting off"
the Messiah. Jews understood that the Messiah will be a king who conquers.
Zechariah claimed the Jews WILL see their Messiah king, but it's the one they
crucified.

sooda

Veteran Member
Daniel spoke of the Romans destroying Israel and the Temple, and "cutting off"
the Messiah. Jews understood that the Messiah will be a king who conquers.
Zechariah claimed the Jews WILL see their Messiah king, but it's the one they
crucified.

Daniel was writing about Antiochus IV Epiphanes...not Jesus.

PruePhillip

No sweat! The rules for selling your daughter into slavery are set out in Exodus 21:7!

A place for everyone and everyone in their place, sort of thing.

Good thing I don't live under the Old Testament. They even have rules
for eating pork and shellfish.

whirlingmerc

Jesus walking out of his tomb says 'the check cleared' !! the Bible is true and the good news proclaimed throughout the world!!!!

whirlingmerc

Good thing I don't live under the Old Testament. They even have rules
for eating pork and shellfish.

Slavery then was also a picture of slavery to sin

If a slave got free from his master you were not allowed to return him but he should dwell among you
as per the law of Moses !!!

There is a lesson of freedom from captivity in the year of Jubilee in Lev 25, Isaiah 61 and Psalms 107, 146, 149

PruePhillip

Slavery then was also a picture of slavery to sin

If a slave got free from his master you were not allowed to return him but he should dwell among you
as per the law of Moses !!!

Yes, its complicated.
Jesus spoke of laws of the OT as being "from the fathers"
- as if to say there were things put into law at the insistence
of the Jews, such as divorce.
Slavery is super complicated - Israel was enslaved to Egypt,
Assyria, Babylon and Rome. It's only now the Jews are going
back home again.

whirlingmerc

Yes, its complicated.
Jesus spoke of laws of the OT as being "from the fathers"
- as if to say there were things put into law at the insistence