• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It was on the Passover, Wednesday, the day before a High Sabbath on Thursday (First Day of Unleavened bread).
Okay, so Jesus was crucified on Wednesday. Mark states he was resurrected on Sunday, or there about. That doesn't equal 3 days and 3 nights.

Lets count it out. You have Wednesday night, Thursday day, Thursday night, Friday day, Friday night (that is three nights there), Saturday day (that is 3 days), and then Saturday night (which is the fourth night).

He couldn't have been resurrected on Sunday by your figuring. So you have Jesus resurrecting on the Sabbath, and that is not what the Gospels state.

james2ko

You're not taking a closer look. You're making something up that isn't in Mark. Mark makes it clear that the crucifixion happened on a Friday.

Also, there is debate as to what year this even occurred. The general acceptance is usually 30 C.E. Not that it matters, as Mark makes it clear that it was a Friday.
You're ignoring what Mark states, and making up something new. You're conflating at least two stories here, and pretending that they say the same thing. They don't.

Mark makes it clear that it was Friday.

None of this is correct. First, not any day before Sabbath is a preparation day at least not in the sense that Mark is using. Mark states that it was Friday that Jesus was crucified. How do we know this? Because he called it the day of preparation for the Sabbath. This was understood as meaning Friday.

When the sabbath was past, which was Saturday at sundown, they could certainly have bought spices. Sabbath was done after all. So no, Friday wasn't the only day they could have done so. You're simply making things up. And rest of your post is taking different accounts and mashing them together to make your own Gospel.

Mark is clear on the dates he is talking about. There is no need to do mental gymnastics in order to explain away something that you don't like.

Answer one question for me. What day of the week were the spices purchased and what day were they prepared?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Answer one question for me. What day of the week were the spices purchased and what day were they prepared?

mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.(next day-saturday)
mark 16:2 2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, (sunday)

you tell me...

waitasec

Veteran Member
It is blind. The only Biblical evidence available is if you want to ignore what the Gospels say, and instead, make up your own version. Mark is very clear, as I pointed out. Jesus died on Friday, and was resurrected Sunday.

i believe that the traditional way of approaching the gospels is to make them
appear as though they are telling one story...i fall into that old habit occasionally...when in fact they are telling 4 separate stories...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i believe that the traditional way of approaching the gospels is to make them
appear as though they are telling one story...i fall into that old habit occasionally...when in fact they are telling 4 separate stories...

That's very true. From quite early on, there have been many attempts to make a single account.

james2ko

Okay, so Jesus was crucified on Wednesday. Mark states he was resurrected on Sunday, or there about. That doesn't equal 3 days and 3 nights.

Lets count it out. You have Wednesday night, Thursday day, Thursday night, Friday day, Friday night (that is three nights there), Saturday day (that is 3 days), and then Saturday night (which is the fourth night).

He couldn't have been resurrected on Sunday by your figuring. So you have Jesus resurrecting on the Sabbath, and that is not what the Gospels state.

Mark's account says the only one in the tomb on Sunday morning was an angel who told His disciples Christ had risen. Just because the saw Him on Sunday morning doesn't mean He was resurrected on Sunday morning. He was resurrected when He said He would be, 3 days and 3 nights after being in the grave. He was put in the grave sometime right before the High Sabbath commenced on Wed night, before sunset. Lets say around 6pm. So if we count it out Wed night, Thu day 1 day and 1 night, Thu night and Fri day= 2 days and 2 nights. Fri night and Saturday before sunset = 3 days and 3 nights later.

james2ko

I already did. It was on Saturday, after sun down. They were prepared probably the same time. At least that is how Mark spells it out.

Luk 23:54 That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.
Luk 23:55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid.
Luk 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

How could they purchase them Saturday after sundown when Luke says they prepared them the day before the Sabbath??????

Mark's account states they were bought after the sabbath!!!!!

Mar_16:1 Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.​

How do you reconcile this? waitesec feel free to chime in also. I eagerly await your responses.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Luk 23:55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid.
Luk 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

How could they purchase them Saturday after sundown when Luke says they prepared them the day before the Sabbath??????

Mar_16:1 Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him.​

How do you reconcile this? waitesec feel free to chime in also. I eagerly await your responses.
very good..
by not forcing these four separate gospels tell one story...hence the bible contradictions

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

I don't have to reconcile this as I believe there are contradictions. Why should I reconcile such when doing such destroys what the Gospels say?

james2ko

very good..
by not forcing these four separate gospels tell one story...hence the bible contradictions

Nope..Mark is referring to the High Sabbath on Thursday (First Day of Unleavened Bread--confirmed by John 19:31). Luke refers to the day of preparation which was the day before the weekly sabbath. Notice how luke includes "according to the commandment". Two sabbaths- two preparation days between Christ's burial and resurrection. Just as recorded in the gospels.. It's actually getting quite boring refuting you...you're making this way too easy.

waitasec

Veteran Member
here's another contradiction

did the disciples go to galilee to meet jesus
mark 16:7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’”

or did he meet them in jerusalem

luke 24:33 They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34 and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35 Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread. 36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

2 separate stories...yet again.

james2ko

here's another contradiction

did the disciples go to galilee to meet jesus
mark 16:7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’”

or did he meet them in jerusalem

luke 24:33 They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34 and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35 Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread. 36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

2 separate stories...yet again.

I'll give someone else a shot at this one. I've been shooting down yours and others supposed contradictions all day...time to give someone else a chance at some target practice ;). Good night all...

waitasec

Veteran Member
I'll give someone else a shot at this one. I've been shooting down yours and others supposed contradictions all day...time to give someone else a chance at some target practice ;). Good night all...

one more thing...

Mark's account says the only one in the tomb on Sunday morning was an angel who told His disciples Christ had risen. Just because the saw Him on Sunday morning doesn't mean He was resurrected on Sunday morning. He was resurrected when He said He would be, 3 days and 3 nights after being in the grave. He was put in the grave sometime right before the High Sabbath commenced on Wed night, before sunset. Lets say around 6pm. So if we count it out Wed night, Thu day 1 day and 1 night, Thu night and Fri day= 2 days and 2 nights. Fri night and Saturday before sunset = 3 days and 3 nights later.
i don't know how much weight you put on mark 16:9
but it says here

9 When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week,

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Nope..Mark is referring to the High Sabbath on Thursday (First Day of Unleavened Bread--confirmed by John 19:31). Luke refers to the day of preparation which was the day before the weekly sabbath. Notice how luke includes "according to the commandment". Two sabbaths- two preparation days between Christ's burial and resurrection. Just as recorded in the gospels.. It's actually getting quite boring refuting you...you're making this way too easy.

whatever makes you feel better...run along now and enjoy the first day of the week...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The only contradiction is your own...;)
The contradiction is in the Bible. I respect the Bible enough to read it as it is, and not twist the meanings around in order to fit my preconceived idea. You're not even reading the Bible here, but making up a completely new Gospel.

Mark is clear on the dating. Matthew is also clear on the dating. We can start in Chapter 27, verse 62. This is after the happening of the crucifixion. It says that the next day, which is the day after the Preparation day, (so Matthew is talking about the Sabbath, which is Saturday), some people have a problem with the tomb. Here, were are being told once again that Jesus is killed on Friday. The next chapter follows up that the day after the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, the women went to the tomb.

So even clearer in Matthew, we have Jesus dying on Friday, guards being placed in front of the tomb on Saturday, and Jesus already having been risen on Sunday.

Luke is just as clear as well. Chapter 23 states Jesus was crucified on the Preparation day (a Friday), the next day is the Sabbath. It was exactly because of that that the women, who made the spices to anoint Jesus did not do so immediately. But they in fact did it the very next day (or were going to). And then on Sunday, the first day of the week, the day after the Sabbath, they go to the tomb.

With Luke, there is no wiggle room. Jesus dies on Friday. The women want to anoint Jesus right away, but can't because it becomes the Sabbath and follow the commandment. The very next day though, they go to the tomb. The story in Luke would make no sense if the women rested on the Sabbath, but then waited a couple of days to anoint Jesus.

Each of these Gospels make it clear that Jesus died on Friday, placed in the tomb before the Sabbath, and was raised by Sunday. That is not three days and three nights.

Xchristian

Thank you :)

It took me nearly a week to read this thread, I had hope in returning to Jesus, instead now I have come up with a NEW bible, (the bible according to Vaderfil123)

If there's a god who took the trouble to put this book together, why didn't he hire translators to help people rather than rely on you to correct Hebrew grammar?