• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Infallibility

Dr Jecto

Many Catholics if approached on Biblical infallibility will tell it's not infallible or will not care. Evangelicals belief more in biblical infalliblity. Are you anti-Cahtolic?

Mulder

Just because I write my name in a book doesn't mean that I wrote it. Using the Bible to prove itself is like me saying that Star Wars books are real because they say so.

idea

Question Everything
Lost Books. The so-called lost books of the Bible are those documents that are mentioned in the Bible in such a way that it is evident they were considered authentic and valuable, but that are not found in the Bible today. Sometimes called missing scripture, they consist of at least the following: book of the Wars of the Lord (Num. 21:14); book of Jasher (Josh. 10:13; 2 Sam. 1:18); book of the acts of Solomon (1 Kgs. 11:41); book of Samuel the seer (1 Chr. 29:29); book of Gad the seer (1 Chr. 29:29); book of Nathan the prophet (1 Chr. 29:29; 2 Chr. 9:29); prophecy of Ahijah (2 Chr. 9:29); visions of Iddo the seer (2 Chr. 9:29; 12:15; 13:22); book of Shemaiah (2 Chr. 12:15); book of Jehu (2 Chr. 20:34); sayings of the seers (2 Chr. 33:19); an epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, earlier than our present 1 Corinthians (1 Cor. 5:9); possibly an earlier epistle to the Ephesians (Eph. 3:3); an epistle to the Church at Laodicea (Col. 4:16); and some prophecies of Enoch, known to Jude (Jude 1:14). To these rather clear references to inspired writings other than our current Bible may be added another list that has allusions to writings that may or may not be contained within our present text, but may perhaps be known by a different title; for example, the book of the covenant (Ex. 24:7), which may or may not be included in the current book of Exodus; the manner of the kingdom, written by Samuel (1 Sam. 10:25); the rest of the acts of Uzziah written by Isaiah (2 Chr. 26:22).
The foregoing items attest to the fact that our present Bible does not contain all of the word of the Lord that he gave to his people in former times, and remind us that the Bible, in its present form, is rather incomplete.
(Bible Dictionary | L Lost Books:Entry)

I love the Bible, but it has been through the dark ages, and is it not the only set of scripture.

I woyuld have to say that the Bible has authoritative power, it is inerrant, and it is the word of god. Jesus ued what against satan? Scipture!

astarath

True but OT not new. So does that mean there lies no infallability in the NT only in the Torah and the book of history and law?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The Bible is no more infallible than any other religious writing.

Like most other religious writings, the Bible is full of great wisdom and philosophies, and pretty inspiring poetry.

I think the trick for non-believers like myself to find the wisdom in the Bible is to take God's hand out of it, and approach it the same way one would approach any religious scripture. I've learned a lot about Christianity from reading Paul's letters with an open mind and without God's hand influencing what I read.

I would say: - All scripture is God breathed and is profitable for reproof and doctrine. The writers of the nt were with inspiration of the Holy Ghost.

astarath

Interesting though you've learned a lot about christianity from another non believer as opposed to a christian. Paul was a lot of things among them a liar and a murderer. His teachings tend to bend and twist the teachings Christ died to set straight. It's kind of like learning history from a North Korean... the answers are there but they arent right.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
There are far to many mistakes and errors in the Bible for it to be infallible or inerrant.
And you don't want me to get started on all the Divine Hypocrisy the Bible outlines.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Interesting though you've learned a lot about christianity from another non believer as opposed to a christian. Paul was a lot of things among them a liar and a murderer. His teachings tend to bend and twist the teachings Christ died to set straight. It's kind of like learning history from a North Korean... the answers are there but they arent right.

I agree. But whatever Paul did to Christianity was nothing compared to what Constantine did in turning it into a political tool. I said I learned a lot about evangelical Christianity through Paul's letters, but I disagree with most of what he has to say. Just because I disagree with someone doesn't mean I can't learn something from them. And I've learned more about why many Christians believe the way they do from Paul's letters than I ever have from an evangelical Christian.

I still disagree. Jesus the Sage said many wonderful things, and Paul focused pretty much solely on the supposed death and resurrection instead of the teachings.

And I never heard of Paul being a murderer. Got any sources to back that up?

A non-believer???? Paul?? What are you talking about? Did not the church counsels include Paul in their scriptural canon? Did the church not have the authority that Christ explicitly gave unto them and that counsel? I can't make this not seem like bragging but I am a historian and have studied the Biblical texts,in Greek and Latin, I have studied and taught theology and history. What do you know of these subjects that is of a professional standpoint that I may inquire and know of this?

ayani

A ~

i'd like to quote Ravi Zacharias here.

"unity does not have to equal uniformity. what matters in not which denomination you are, but if you know the Lord Jesus personally in your heart or not, and that is what makes you Christian".

it's true that many Christians play politics and favorites within the body of Christ. there are many denominations, and many Bible translations.

yet our ultimate line of authority should come from the Messiah. if it's Him we follow, not primarily a church or human ideas, it will show in our lives.

He does make the difference. i've met committed and faithful Christ-followers from many denominations, and from none.

One must ask which Christianity for I assure you yours is not the same as mine. Which translation, denomination? Which strain of dogma or authoritative power?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
A non-believer???? Paul?? What are you talking about? Did not the church counsels include Paul in their scriptural canon? Did the church not have the authority that Christ explicitly gave unto them and that counsel? I can't make this not seem like bragging but I am a historian and have studied the Biblical texts,in Greek and Latin, I have studied and taught theology and history. What do you know of these subjects that is of a professional standpoint that I may inquire and know of this?

Christ gave the council authority?
When did he do that?
Perhaps a verse or two showing where Jesus gave the council anything, let alone authority, would be helpful?

And Christ explicitly gave His Church(Catholic) much authority!!! If we follow Christ we also follow what he said- This includes the Church. I don't believe in Sola scripura due to the fact that it is not taught in the Bible.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Not sure who you're talking to, but here's what I say.

What do I know professionally? Nothing; I'm an inspired amateur. I'm sure you know far more than I.

And I approach the Bible the way I approach any other religious text. I know very little right now, but I learn something new every day, and my beliefs change accordingly.