• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloodsports/Hunting for fun

Are bloodsports wrong?/your beliefs

• You're religious/spiritual and believe it is wrong

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • You're religious/spiritual and believe it is okay

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • You're atheist or agnostic and believe it is wrong

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • You're atheist or agnostic and believe it is okay

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ok. I would love to know what people think about this. I personally despise the idea of killing living things for sport.
I am with you 100%. It is beyond me how any human being can find enjoyment in causing a living creature pain. I just flat out don't get it.

(I just noticed how old this thread was. Frg001's going to be pretty surprised to see frubals for something he posted two years ago!)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I know people who hunt almost as a spiritual practice, to feel more connected to the life cycle. Same reason they gardened. Is that "sport?"

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I know people who hunt almost as a spiritual practice, to feel more connected to the life cycle. Same reason they gardened. Is that "sport?"

"Yeh killing this deer makes me more connected man" - Call it a sport or not, it's a crock of BS...Seems a very negative way of improving your connection, by the needless ending of another sentient beings life.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"Yeh killing this deer makes me more connected man"
Wow, that was sexist.

- Call it a sport or not, it's a crock of BS...Seems a very negative way of improving your connection, by the needless ending of another sentient beings life.
Are you morally opposed to eating meat? If you're not, can you not even see the perspective that it's better to do the dirty work yourself?

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Wow, that was sexist.
It was meant to be hippie speak. Nothing to see here.

Are you morally opposed to eating meat? If you're not, can you not even see the perspective that it's better to do the dirty work yourself?
It's a long story, but the short version...
I was vegetarian for 14 years.
I decided to spend a day or 10 thinking about the moral issues
I came to the conclusion that man is top of the food chain, and naturally kills to eat. So eating meat for me (now) is not morally wrong.

It's an old thread... But essentially I only disagree with the "for fun", or in the case above "for needs other than sustinence"...

So yes, in many ways it can be considered more humane to hunt for your own food, and if that is the reason then it can be considered okay...but not if you are doing that in order to gain pleasure from the killing....

So...If I was trekking across a Peruvian Jungle, I would not hesitate to trap my own food, but otherwise I wouldn't. I would do it out of necessity, but not for any form of self-gratification (which any talk about self improvement would certainly fall under)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, the hunters I knew took a kind of pleasure in it, but not a callous or sadistic kind. It's hard to explain, but I wouldn't label what they did "killing for sport." They were reverent about it, and they didn't waste anything.

Now, killing wastefully, trophy hunting and the like, I agree that's wrong.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Well, the hunters I knew took a kind of pleasure in it, but not a callous or sadistic kind. It's hard to explain, but I wouldn't label what they did "killing for sport." They were reverent about it, and they didn't waste anything.
And while I agree this isn't as bad, the people involved are going out for the sport of it. They don't need to do it, so they are terrorising and killing animals for their own ends.

Now, killing wastefully, trophy hunting and the like, I agree that's wrong.
Hopefully most people feel this way.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
And while I agree this isn't as bad, the people involved are going out for the sport of it.
Not really, but I can't explain it any better.

They don't need to do it, so they are terrorising and killing animals for their own ends.
A skilled hunter doesn't scare the prey at all. As for killing, is a slaughterhouse any better?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Killing animals for fun is terrible. We are animals, do we run around shooting people in our neighbourhood for fun? No, so what makes it ok to shoot a lion? Nothing, we're pigs and don't deserve to live in the presence of such elegant creatures. Its sad how even in my country we kull Kangaroos, because we hunted their predators to the brink and cant control the resulting population explosion. It makes me sick to hear about how few elephants, tigers, lions and so forth still exist.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I might've replied to this already, but I am too lazy to check, lol.

Hunting in itself is not wrong, as long as you are using the animal for some purpose, such as to eat.

Hunting just because you like it or just to stuff the animal and stick it on your wall to say you killed it- I find that despicable. It's needless killing.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Killing animals for fun is terrible. We are animals, do we run around shooting people in our neighbourhood for fun? No, so what makes it ok to shoot a lion? Nothing, we're pigs and don't deserve to live in the presence of such elegant creatures. Its sad how even in my country we kull Kangaroos, because we hunted their predators to the brink and cant control the resulting population explosion. It makes me sick to hear about how few elephants, tigers, lions and so forth still exist.

You know here they actually encourage people to go hunting for deer after nightfall in our parks and such? Just make sure there are no children around and you can go bow hunting in a park at night when the deer come out of the woods to graze. Of course, this is all "for their own good as well as ours" because "if we don't hunt them they'll wander out into the street and get hit by a car". :sarcastic Yeah, kill them now on purpose so we don't take the off chance of killing one by accident and dent our car. :sarcastic Real great reason to kill something isn't it?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
You know here they actually encourage people to go hunting for deer after nightfall in our parks and such? Just make sure there are no children around and you can go bow hunting in a park at night when the deer come out of the woods to graze. Of course, this is all "for their own good as well as ours" because "if we don't hunt them they'll wander out into the street and get hit by a car". :sarcastic Yeah, kill them now on purpose so we don't take the off chance of killing one by accident and dent our car. :sarcastic Real great reason to kill something isn't it?

Its the same with kangaroos. If we didn't disrupt and basically destroy the natural cycle of life in the first place none of this would have happened. The kangaroos had some predator (cant recall the name) but now its gone. Now we have hundreds of them in residential suburbs eating our gardens.

kai

ragamuffin
i think there is always something a little disturbing about getting a buzz out of killing.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't see how hunting is any more or less barbaric than mass scale slaughter houses. Humans are natural omnivores who started out as hunters and gatherers. If hunters are quick and clean with their kills and aren't wasteful then I don't see a problem.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When I think of hunting for "sport" I think of the "hunting" excursion that seems to be popular among the rich and politicians: Raise a bunch of fowl in a pen so that they're stupid and don't know what to do when they encounter predators, put them in a field and let them wander around dumbly, then drive by with a vehicle to startle them and fire a pellet gun and kill several at once. Repeat until hundreds are dead.
Kinda reminds me about the way that many "hunting lodges" organize bear hunts: the lodge operators put a food station out in the woods for the bear, keep it stocked, and eventually the bears know to go there for food. Then, one day, the food station's gone and there's a bunch of hunters up in a nearby tree. It just seems so unsporting.

I've got no problem with hunting for food, though.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Kinda reminds me about the way that many "hunting lodges" organize bear hunts: the lodge operators put a food station out in the woods for the bear, keep it stocked, and eventually the bears know to go there for food. Then, one day, the food station's gone and there's a bunch of hunters up in a nearby tree. It just seems so unsporting.

I've got no problem with hunting for food, though.

I've also heard they take older animals like lions and tigers.that come from some other form of captivity and are familiar with humans....Bring them in a cage into a field and release them..and the "hunter" who is lying in wait takes his aim and shoots the animal.

How is that a skilled "sport"? The term sittting duck comes to mind.

Love

Dallas

Makaveli

Homoioi
I went on a hunt in November last year, it was a great experience. My friend and I went to a cattle ranch in the relative backcountry of our county, shotguns in hand, and came up on a duck pond. I circled around, and he went up front, scared the ducks into the air whereupon I shot one. From the stalking, to the shot, it was all quite enjoyable. The duck was dinner for the night.

Now, I take pleasure in the camaraderie, the stalking of the game, and the shot itself, but not really in the kill, that's just a byproduct of the whole thing. I can agree that hunting merely for trophy heads and throwing away the meat is wasteful and immoral, if you use what you eat there's little difference between you and a slaughterhouse, besides the fact that, if you're a good marksman, you're more human than that slaughterhouse will ever be.