• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
to me, burning books would be like throwing food away. even if the books suck, or the food tastes bad, it just never feels good.
would you burning books , or you are already did that ?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

What do you atheists think about this? And religious feedback please

Books are for reading, not for burning.
(Unless you're close to freezing to death, but that's a different story). ;)
Other than that, I don't care much which book they burn or not.

Books are things.
Things aren't that important, and certainly less so than people.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think it's stupid and childish.

agreed. atheists of all people should take things to the debate table. its discouraging to see that at the end of the day everyone resort to these juvenile acts while claiming to have superior morality or intelligence.
there is no moral or intelligent message that I can see in this.

from a young age, I often remembered historical books burnings, nowhere did it end in an enlightenment.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
agreed. atheists of all people should take things to the debate table. its discouraging to see that at the end of the day everyone resort to these juvenile acts while claiming to have superior morality or intelligence.
there is no moral or intelligent message that I can see in this.

from a young age, I often remembered historical books burnings, nowhere did it end in an enlightenment.

These punks are going to whine loudest when others start pigeon holing atheists into more stereotyping not realizing they had an opportunity to lead by example. They should have cracked the books open and learned something instead.

not nom

would you burning books , or you are already did that ?

what? uhm, no? if I don't even like throwing a book away, why would I burn one?

however, me and a friend once burned a stack of newspapers in the sewers haha.. but that wasn't about desecration, more about seeing what happens :D

arthra

Baha'i

Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

As Baha'is we are forbidden to burn books...

"The unbelievers and the faithless have set their minds on four things:

first, the shedding of blood;

second, the burning of books;

third, the shunning of the followers of other religions;

fourth, the extermination of other communities and groups.

Now however, through the strengthening grace and potency of the Word of God these four barriers have been demolished, these clear injunctions have been obliterated from the Tablet and brutal dispositions have been transmuted into spiritual attributes."

~ Tablets of Baha'u'llah Revealed After the Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 91

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
agreed. atheists of all people should take things to the debate table.

And many do exactly that.
There are stupid atheists just as there are stupid religious people.
I don't condone burning books.
I'm sure most Christians, Muslims or whatever, don't condone all the things done by the stupid people who share their beliefs either. ;)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
And many do exactly that.
There are stupid atheists just as there are stupid religious people.
I don't condone burning books.
I'm sure most Christians, Muslims or whatever, don't condone all the things done by the stupid people who share their beliefs either. ;)
that is pretty much the point I am making. most of my time on this forum I have debated (and will debate) from an atheistic view point. but when other atheists go fundamental I tend to think they still hold on to a personal past in one fundamental denomination or the other.

jasonwill2

Looks that way so far..

I think part of the reason might be that I see them as just a collection of papers. I mean, realistically, nothing of value is being destroyed. It's the symbolism that everyone is getting all up and over, but symbolism is that, symbols. It only means what you give to it. And when people give attention to stuff like people are now, you give it power. I do not see the big deal. So what if they burned some books? They are just books. There are millions of those books the world around.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think part of the reason might be that I see them as just a collection of papers. I mean, realistically, nothing of value is being destroyed. It's the symbolism that everyone is getting all up and over, but symbolism is that, symbols. It only means what you give to it. And when people give attention to stuff like people are now, you give it power. I do not see the big deal. So what if they burned some books? They are just books. There are millions of those books the world around.
Burning books is burning knowledge (at the very least, knowledge of the religion's teachings), effort, dedication, and money. The only reason one burns books is for shock value or rebelliousness.

When burning a religious text, you're also adding spiritual truths to that list. That's bound to bug some people.

Not to mention, some religions hold their texts in a very high honour: eternal truths, revealed by God, as the spiritual teacher and guide, and so on.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Did they list which books specifically or did they just grab a bunch of stuff from the occult section?:facepalm:

jasonwill2

Burning books is burning knowledge (at the very least, knowledge of the religion's teachings), effort, dedication, and money. The only reason one burns books is for shock value or rebelliousness.

When burning a religious text, you're also adding spiritual truths to that list. That's bound to bug some people.

Not to mention, some religions hold their texts in a very high honor: eternal truths, revealed by God, as the spiritual teacher and guide, and so on.

I can see how some people could take offense to that, but they seem to be falling into the intended trap.

There are 50,000,000 other copies of the books they burned I bet. It's not even a drop in the bucket. If they bought the books somewhere (I imagine that they did) then they have a right to burn them. Simple as that. It's the first amendment. I can understand why someone would care if their religious texts were burned, but other faiths?

I just think that people are getting over excited, espically the people who do not one of their own texts being burned. And even in that case, these kids are fully in their rights as for freedom of expression/speech.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason that they probably burned these books was to get the type of reactions made on this topic? Again, you are giving them what they want: attention. Ranting about how shocking it is only strengthens their little Black Mass they made here. Not that I expect people to react differently, but some food for thought.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Burning books is a sign of stupidity, as far as I'm concerned.

i second that...

it could be more than just burning books it could be a mirror of what has happened in the past...but why mirror what happen in the past?
it's time to evolve and move forward.

jasonwill2

i second that...

it could be more than just burning books it could be a mirror of what has happened in the past...but why mirror what happen in the past?
it's time to evolve and move forward.

That's the really ironic part I thought.