• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, that was an incredibly stupid waste of time, effort, and money. What possible use is there in burning books, other than keeping alive in a sudden onset ice age (The Day After Tomorrow ;) )? Only a complete moron would find it something worth doing. And it also just shows the ignorance and stupidity of the guy when he puts up a quote about organized religion yet not all the religions he touches on are organized AND, as has been pointed out, there are no holy scriptures/books for Wicca. :facepalm: You might as well take any book from one particular shelf of mine and burn it...doesn't mean a thing.:areyoucra

jasonwill2

Well, that was an incredibly stupid waste of time, effort, and money. What possible use is there in burning books, other than keeping alive in a sudden onset ice age (The Day After Tomorrow ;) )? Only a complete moron would find it something worth doing. And it also just shows the ignorance and stupidity of the guy when he puts up a quote about organized religion yet not all the religions he touches on are organized AND, as has been pointed out, there are no holy scriptures/books for Wicca. :facepalm: You might as well take any book from one particular shelf of mine and burn it...doesn't mean a thing.:areyoucra

I will give you that, it would be quite a waste of money to buy all those books just to burn them.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
There are 50,000,000 other copies of the books they burned I bet. It's not even a drop in the bucket.
Not all of the religions have >50,000,000 members.
You probably won't find 50,000,000 copies of the Torah.
You probably won't find 50,000,000 copies of the Gurū Granth Sāhib (which they, I'm happy to say, did not burn).
You probably won't find 50,000,000 copies of the Wiccan book they burnt because they have no idea what they're doing

If they bought the books somewhere (I imagine that they did) then they have a right to burn them. Simple as that. It's the first amendment.
Sure, it's the first amendment to burn them.
It's the first amendment to call them idiotic for doing an idiotic thing which is of no benefit and is deliberately done to grind people's gears, too.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason that they probably burned these books was to get the type of reactions made on this topic? Again, you are giving them what they want: attention. Ranting about how shocking it is only strengthens their little Black Mass they made here. Not that I expect people to react differently, but some food for thought.
Nobody is acting shocked or ranting. We were asked our opinions by the OP, we have given them.

If they want to do it, it's their choice; just as it's my choice to find it pathetic. If they have enough money to go and burn several books, perhaps they should have skipped on buying the books, and given the money to charity instead.

jasonwill2

Not all of the religions have >50,000,000 members.
You probably won't find 50,000,000 copies of the Torah.
You probably won't find 50,000,000 copies of the Gurū Granth Sāhib (which they, I'm happy to say, did not burn).
You probably won't find 50,000,000 copies of the Wiccan book they burnt because they have no idea what they're doing

Sure, it's the first amendment to burn them.
It's the first amendment to call them idiotic for doing an idiotic thing which is of no benefit and is deliberately done to grind people's gears, too.

Nobody is acting shocked or ranting. We were asked our opinions by the OP, we have given them.

If they want to do it, it's their choice; just as it's my choice to find it pathetic. If they have enough money to go and burn several books, perhaps they should have skipped on buying the books, and given the money to charity instead.

I must concede on the grounds that your argument is sound given that you are also excersizing the first amendment. As for ppl being "shocked", I may of mis-interpreted two or three posts.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I must concede on the grounds that your argument is sound given that you are also excersizing the first amendment. As for ppl being "shocked", I may of mis-interpreted two or three posts.
No worries; the internet makes it hard to read people's emotions or intentions, so it's easy to misunderstand what people are saying sometimes. :)

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
why are people complaining about him burning books? He paid money to buy them so why can't he burn them? It's not like these are unique, they have thousands of copies at least.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
why are people complaining about him burning books? He paid money to buy them so why can't he burn them? It's not like these are unique, they have thousands of copies at least.
Do you see anyone complaining? the only thing I see people here do is questioning the guy's intelligence.
it's not even shocking, it's simply useless. an imitation of past events, only the person who burned the books failed to learn the lesson.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It would be more significant if he had a bunch of people bring their own books.

waitasec

Veteran Member
why are people complaining about him burning books?

they complain because they can
why is he burning the books, that's how he complains...

there was a 1st offense at one point...
and it wasn't made by the unbelievers so they complained about it
and then the believers complain about the unbelievers complaint
because everyone has a right to complain...

i'm dizzy
:faint:

9Westy9

Premium Member
Do you see anyone complaining? the only thing I see people here do is questioning the guy's intelligence.
it's not even shocking, it's simply useless. an imitation of past events, only the person who burned the books failed to learn the lesson.

what lesson is that? If he wants to burn books and put in on youtube then why can't he?

9Westy9

Premium Member
they complain because they can
why is he burning the books, that's how he complains...

there was a 1st offense at one point...
and it wasn't made by the unbelievers so they complained about it
and then the believers complain about the unbelievers complaint
because everyone has a right to complain...

i'm dizzy
:faint:

and because people like to complain :D

Kerr

[youtube]k1yIy39RX0Q[/youtube]
The 2012 Book Burning Controversy - YouTube

Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

What do you atheists think about this? And religious feedback please
I think they should have thrown in The God Delusion as well, just to show that when it comes to fire, all books are made equal :cool:.

Seriously, though, its a rather stupid thing to do.

EDIT:

And yes, I know The God Delusion is not a religious book :p.

9Westy9

Premium Member
What do you mean why can't he? he did exactly that. meaning, he can, and he did it.

Is there any reason why he can't burn the books? I see no reason why he can't and thus no reason for it to be commented on. Also I like how he's being called stupid for doing so without anyone even thinking as to why he might have done it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is there any reason why he can't burn the books? I see no reason why he can't and thus no reason for it to be commented on. Also I like how he's being called stupid for doing so without anyone even thinking as to why he might have done it.
What makes you think nobody's given that any thought?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nothing at all. But if you don't know his intention you can't really comment on his intelligence.
Why not? Intention doesn't really matter in this case.

ETA: Not to mention, his intent was painfully obvious.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Nothing at all. But if you don't know his intention you can't really comment on his intelligence.

Saying something was a stupid and ignorant thing to do isn't commenting on one's intelligence. Even very intelligent people can do incredibly stupid things. It's called severe lack in judgment.