• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Why not? Intention doesn't really matter in this case.

ETA: Not to mention, his intent was painfully obvious.

In my view his intention was to show his disdain for religion and what it has/ can cause. Sure there are 'better' ways to put that across but few that are more powerful

9Westy9

Premium Member
Saying something was a stupid and ignorant thing to do isn't commenting on one's intelligence. Even very intelligent people can do incredibly stupid things. It's called severe lack in judgment.

point taken. Although was it a stupid and unintelligent thing to do? If his aim was to cause a stir then he did that wonderfully well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In my view his intention was to show his disdain for religion and what it has/ can cause. Sure there are 'better' ways to put that across but few that are more powerful
Like I said, painfully obvious. Almost as glaring as his ignorance.

And you didn't answer the question. When someone does a stupid (and futile) thing, why can't you call them stupid right off the bat?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
point taken. Although was it a stupid and unintelligent thing to do? If his aim was to cause a stir then he did that wonderfully well.
Why, because he got a few comments on the internet? Like that's hard.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Why not? Intention doesn't really matter in this case.

ETA: Not to mention, his intent was painfully obvious.

from my POV i don't think his intention painfully obvious...

there's more than one reason why he would do this...

granted it's not a smart move if his intention was to be taken seriously
but how do we know that's what he wants?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

What do you atheists think about this? And religious feedback please

I guess a lot of people and groups have their little rituals and ceremonies, some atheists included. I don't have a problem with most such social bonding exercises as long as they don't hurt anyone.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Why, because he got a few comments on the internet? Like that's hard.
Exactly. all I see is a useless video uploaded on youtube. it has no profound implications. it reeks with uselessness and lack of civility.

9Westy9

Premium Member
Like I said, painfully obvious. Almost as glaring as his ignorance.

And you didn't answer the question. When someone does a stupid (and futile) thing, why can't you call them stupid right off the bat?

was it a stupid thing to do? That depends on what reaction he wanted and whether or not he succeeded.

Was it futile? No because he got his point across, I assume.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A Buddhist would not be offended if a Tipitaka were burned. In fact, it could serve as a symbolic meaning representing the transient, impermanent nature of all phenomena, non-clinging, and extinguishing into the great Void!

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. :O)

Wicca doesn't have a sacred text... :facepalm:

Which just underscores the impression that only the willfully ignorant burn books.

As they say, Ingorance is bliss. :D

9Westy9

Premium Member
Hey, your're the one who said you have an issue with that so follow your own advice. I never told anyone not to comment.

because I'm interested in why people are so interested in what one guy on the internet is doing

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Burning Books seems pretty dumb but they are only Books and not people,Stalin and Hitler had Books burned too ,oh and people,like i said it seems pretty dumb to me.

idav

Being
Premium Member
because I'm interested in why people are so interested in what one guy on the internet is doing
People are interested when others break the mold. What he did was at least a bit different than what we are used to hearing.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
People are not that interested, you are the one who blows it out of proportion. a thread and a topic were posted, and members are commenting about it. is it allowed?

No one said anything about not allowing the person to burn books, but you misinterpreted it to seem that way. then you question why people should comment at all.
I'm sorry to say. but it seems that you see is as a bigger deal than anyone else.

9Westy9

Premium Member
People are not that interested, you are the one who blows it out of proportion. a thread and a topic were posted, and members are commenting about it. is it allowed?

It got a lot of comments from people calling the act 'stupid'. How is that not interested? and of course it's allowed

No one said anything about not allowing the person to burn books, but you misinterpreted it to seem that way. then you question why people should comment at all.

Sorry if it seemed that way. i think I jumped in before thinking it through

I'm sorry to say. but it seems that you see is as a bigger deal than anyone else.

I'm making a big deal out of why people are calling the act 'stupid' rather than the act itself.