• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Burning: Bible, koran, torah, wicca, scientology, buddhism etc.

jasonwill2

BURN THEM ALL MAUAHAHHA!

No, but really, this is... ironic, considering it's usually the other way around.

The only book I ever burned was the Christian Bible.

Tathagata

Freethinker
A Buddhist would not be offended if a Tipitaka were burned. In fact, it could serve as a symbolic meaning representing the transient, impermanent nature of all phenomena, non-clinging, and extinguishing into the great Void!

The Buddha himself was burned in a fire so I see no problem with burning scripture.

The only problem would be that Buddhist scripture is rare and expensive. Plus, why would an Atheist burn an Atheist friendly text?

jojowedge

for all i know, some atheists seem to oppose even buddhist texts, for example Christopher Hitchens makes some very scorning remarks towards the eastern religion.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

What do you atheists think about this? And religious feedback please
Wicca doesn't have a sacred text... :facepalm:

Which just underscores the impression that only the willfully ignorant burn books.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend jojowedge,

a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

Personally find that fire is required for cooking, heating etc and energy is scarce globally so kindly ensure that all burning is used to derive energy for other needs and not wasted.

Love & rgds

n.b. books are books nothing holy/unholy about them besides am not the owner of those books so kindly pass the mike to him for comments.:D:D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Don't they have the Book of Shadows that acts kinda like one?
Nope. Covens or individual witches may or may not keep Books Of Shadows, but they're basically diaries, and you'll never find a real one at Barnes & Noble.

Basically, the only person here who sees a controversy is the dumb punk who did it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm pretty sure that a Wiccan I knew on another site mentioned such a book, and I think this is it:

Book of Shadows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did you read the article?
A Book of Shadows is a book containing religious texts and instructions for magical rituals found within the Neopagan religion of Wicca. Originating within the Gardnerian tradition of the Craft, the first Book of Shadows was created by the pioneering Wiccan Gerald Gardner sometime in the late 1940s or early 1950s, and which he utilised first in his Bricket Wood coven and then in other covens which he founded in following decades. The concept of the Book of Shadows was then adopted by other Wiccan traditions, such as Alexandrianism and Mohsianism, and with the rise of books teaching people how to begin following Wicca in the 1970s onward, the idea of the Book of Shadows was then further propagated amongst solitary practitioners unconnected to earlier traditions.

Initially, when Wicca was still dominated by covens, "only one copy [of the Book] existed for an entire coven, kept by the high priestess or high priest. That rule has proved unfeasible, and it is [now] commonplace for all Witches to have their own copies."[1] In the various traditions that make up British Traditional Wicca, copies of the original Book composed by Gerald Gardner with the aid of his High Priestess Doreen Valiente, along with alterations and additions that have been made since then, is followed by adherents. They have tried to keep the contents of this Book a secret, although it has been published on a number of occasions by figures such as Charles Cardell, Lady Sheba and Janet and Stewart Farrar. In other Wiccan traditions and amongst a number of solitary practitioners, alternate versions of the Book have been written that are independent of Gardner's original.

Numerous associations and traditions have since grown up around the Book of Shadows. Traditionally, "a Witch's book of shadows is destroyed upon death."[2]

Again, diaries, not Scriptures. One might, with diligence, find a copy of Gardner's... but Gardner himself is not undisputed.

jasonwill2

Then why the hell do they all call it by the same title??? that is confusing. I skimmed it, but I thought it was saying that there was "Books of Shadows" but only one version of THE Book of Shadows.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Then why the hell do they all call it by the same title??? that is confusing. I skimmed it, but I thought it was saying that there was "Books of Shadows" but only one version of THE Book of Shadows.
Because it isn't a title, but a descriptor. Like 'novel' or 'textbook.'

jasonwill2

That's reprehensible.

If you think that is bad, you don't want to know what I did to it BEFORE all of that. It was the last night of a three day long ritual in which I renounced The Trinity.

Not that I believe in the Bible though, it as a form of psychodrama.

Seriously, the things I did to that Bible, after tearing it apart and slashing it up with a knife... I can't say without getting in trouble. It was a hell of a time though, I got it all out of my system for a good 4 months afterwards. Still to this day though it felt like that last night was lacking in some way.

Besides, why do you care what I do in the privacy of my own home? And why should we care if these kids burnt some books? Unless they stole them they had to buy them, which would of meant that nothing is really being done other than a symbolic gesture.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If you think that is bad, you don't want to know what I did to it BEFORE all of that. It was the last night of a three day long ritual in which I renounced The Trinity.

Not that I believe in the Bible though, it as a form of psychodrama.

Seriously, the things I did to that Bible, after tearing it apart and slashing it up with a knife... I can't say without getting in trouble. It was a hell of a time though, I got it all out of my system for a good 4 months afterwards. Still to this day though it felt like that last night was lacking in some way.

Besides, why do you care what I do in the privacy of my own home? And why should we care if these kids burnt some books? Unless they stole them they had to buy them, which would of meant that nothing is really being done other than a symbolic gesture.
Because it's not just immature, but a sign of deeply dysfunctional spirituality?

I mean, I'd rather you burned a book than a person, but come on... finding gratification in desecration isn't healthy.

jasonwill2

Because it's not just immature, but a sign of deeply dysfunctional spirituality?

I mean, I'd rather you burned a book than a person, but come on... finding gratification in desecration isn't healthy.

umm... you do not seem to get psychodrama I'm guessing. It was supposed to aid me in getting over irrational fears and inhibitions by telling my subconscious that I was going to go to Hell anyway.

Not all Satanists do such things, but it CAN be a very liberating experience. It wasn't the desecration, but rather the breaking of the taboo. Of course a lot of non LHP people do not seem to get it; they think it's about the shock when it's actually about the deprogramming.

edit:

Ok, maybe this will clarify it:

"By facing subconscious fears, you can overcome irrational inhibitions. Ritualized taboo-breaking can help you learn to think more independently -- on a deep level, not just an intellectual level. And it can open a gateway to your subconscious mind, thereby helping you to become more creative and perhaps even opening a door to psychic and spiritual development."

source: http://theisticsatanism.com/rituals/blasphemy/purpose.htmlAlso

Also, why would you even mention a Satanist burning a person?

As for blasphemy, it's a form of HEALTHY CATHARSIS. I was a Christian for 7 years, so I still have a lot of behaviors and traps of fundamentalist "logic" stuck in me at times. These kinds of taboo breaking things help me get over it.

If you want to vilify this, then your vilifying a cornerstone of the Left Hand Path; the breaking of taboos [that have little logical reason]. Despite what you may think, there is a real positive strength in blaspheme if done without compulsion. I see nothing wrong with what these kids did.

Last edited:

not nom

to me, burning books would be like throwing food away. even if the books suck, or the food tastes bad, it just never feels good.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
[youtube]k1yIy39RX0Q[/youtube]
The 2012 Book Burning Controversy - YouTube

Hey guys, i found this video on youtube. Its a group of atheists burning multiple religious texts which includes the bible, koran, torah, wicca, tripitaka, dianetics etc.

I am affraid that one day they would buring us too :p ,instead of our holy books

Last edited: