• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

rabanes

Are you trying to prove my point?! If we don't teach it, how can you say it's central to our teachings!
:jester3: And now you don't have a Heavenly Mother, either? Goodness. Hmm, no belief in gods throughout the universe. No belief in you becoming a god yourself. Apparently no Celestial Kingdom, unless its a very different celestial kingdom than any CK that's been taught in Mormonism since the mid-19th century. And no heavenly Mother. We really aren't going to be able to talk at all. :(

RA

Truth_Faith13

I'm sure whether your playing a game here or not. But I'm not going to waste time playing games like you saying, "Where's a quote that EXACTLY says, 'God had sex with Mary!'" You know, as well as I do, that you can say something in a myriad of ways (even something as vulgar as the above) without literally using those words.

Now, I gave you a link to an article on my own website that included multiple quotes that, when read in context and had their message compared to each other, indicated the thought expressed in "God had sex with Mary." This was a reproduction of an article that appeared at mormonwiki.

After I posted here, however, that mormonwiki article mysteriously disappeared overnight. Fortunately, I took screen shots of it and it is available now at my website as pulled from google cache You can see through the graphic links at my page "Conception of Jesus."

So, again, I say, go read that collection of quotes. The message "God had sex with Mary" that comes through is clear to anyone who reads it without trying to spin the words away from their original, straight-forward, obvious meaning.

If I were a distrustful, cynical, suspicious person, I'd say you (or someone else here) removed the wiki article after I posted the link for you in my POST #68 of this thread. I noted the following: mormonwikidotorg/Conception_of_Jesus (replace "dot" for ".")"

This, of course, would translate to mormonwiki.org/Conception_of_Jesus. But now that link is suddenly dead, having gone from: 1) working, to 2) a 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND, to 3) now some theopedia website.

Here is the course of events -- Ohhhhh, we have a mystery:
DREAM ANGEL
After following the link it says it got its information from MormonWiki. Yet I have searched MormonWiki and cannot find such a claim.
(12-01-2008, 01:37 PM, POST #62)

RABANES
My wiki reference was supposed to be linked to send people to the mormonwiki place to see what it says about the conception of Jesus - see mormonwikidotorg/Conception_of_Jesus (replace "dot" for "."). It's fixed now (see my website -- I'm not allowed to post URLs yet).
(12-01-2008, 03:07 PM, POST #68) - Link worked

DREAM ANGEL
Well initially it sent me to an anti-mormon website [echoed in POST #62] supposedly quoting something from the MormonWiki. I will re-check it and see where it leadsI looked where I could on the MormonWiki (which like the normal wiki is huge!)and only found that ONE quote that I showed you. . . . I didnt see any of these so called mentioned multiple quotes, but now you have sorted out the link...i will go look.
(12-01-2008, 03:08 AM, POST #114)

*** SUDDENLY***
DREAM ANGEL
Ok, I have searched MormonWiki high and low and can find no such quotes that you mention. Can you please provide me with a link which takes me to the actual mormonwiki page that you say has these quotes....and not to your own site as the link originally did!​

(12-01-2008, 03:16 AM, POST #115)

RABANES
I find it HIGHLY coincidental that SUDDENLY the mormonwiki article I linked here and referred to called, The Conception of Jesus -- has suddenly disappeared and it now only gives 404 - NOT FOUND. Now, goodness, what could have happened? It was just there less than 24 hours ago, but then this thread happens and bang!!! Gone. Hmmmm. Anyone want to take credit? Fortunately, that article is saved and it will be going up as is on my website in the near future, with an explanation of how, when, and possibly why it disappeared.
(12-02-2008, 09:01 AM, POST #117)

RABANES
See quotes in article I linked, now available for some mysterious reason, only at my website, because it magically disappeared from mormonwiki.org.
(12-02-2008, 11:57 AM, POST #125).
This is all very odd, but despite whatever happened, the original article can be accessed from my website -- you can click on the graphics and see the original mormonwiki page as it existed just 48 hours ago.

RA
[/QUOTE]

hahaha....oh this is hilarious! Now you are saying I removed the article! You wont believe me but I didn't, I don't even know HOW to remove an article from Wiki. I cant look at quotes, if I cant find them...maybe someone did move them, maybe you made it up, I dont know...I will go look at your website now though with the links you have provided...but can I ask you to please stop throwing accusations around. I did see the quotes on your site, but I couldnt trust you copied them correctly, so wanted to see them on MormonWiki - I am not playing a game, and not wanting exact words, just when I see evidence, I like to see it from the original source!!! Oh and for the record, I am baptised LDS, but I AM NOT LDS, please do not take the assumption I am!

DeepShadow

White Crow
:jester3: And now you don't have a Heavenly Mother, either?

I never said that. I personally believe in a Heavenly Mother. That's a far cry from saying it's CENTRAL to our beliefs.

Goodness. Hmm, no belief in gods throughout the universe. No belief in you becoming a god yourself.

These are not central to our beliefs. Where they touch our beliefs, they are actually quite peripheral. How else do you explain why these supposedly "CENTRAL" beliefs are seldom, if ever, taught in our lessons?

DeepShadow

White Crow
We really aren't going to be able to talk at all.

Sure we are! We can talk about what makes a belief "central" versus "peripheral." You seem to have some confusion on that point, to the level that you think if something isn't central, it doesn't exist!

I posted a link to our actual central teachings--to the very manuals we teach it out of, in fact. Do you deny that these manuals contain our CENTRAL teachings?

DeepShadow

White Crow
Apparently no Celestial Kingdom, unless its a very different celestial kingdom than any CK that's been taught in Mormonism since the mid-19th century.

Now why would you say that?! The celestial kingdom is one of our central teachings! I can prove that by going on the link I gave you, clicking on the "Gospel Principles" manual, and looking up "celestial kingdom" in the index.

By definition, anything I find in a current manual has been taught "since the mid-19th century."

Truth_Faith13

Ok I have had a brief look at the quotes on your site and I really cant see how you think it means that mary and God actually had sex....as I said before it is just a case of perception. To me, what it says is that Jesus Christ's birth was natural ie there was no flying baby out of the womb or lights, camera, action stuff! Mary had to carry and give birth to Jesus, just like any other mortal baby. Thats how I see it anyway!

DeepShadow

White Crow
hahaha....oh this is hilarious! Now you are saying I removed the article!

Almost as hilarious as implying we don't actually teach our "central" teachings.:rolleyes:

Seriously, am I to believe that the entire lds.org website, including teacher's manuals with the link "prepare your lesson for Sunday," is a false front? That it exists only for PR purposes, and does not contain our central teachings?

If that's the case, then I'm in trouble, because I've been using that website to prepare my lessons! Nobody ever told me I was supposed to prepare them from some secret book that swapped the "central" and "peripheral" doctrines. But then I guess that just means the false front is working as planned, right? It's actually worked so well, that our "central" doctrines haven't been taught in several decades....

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Let me just ask this..Does any Christian here beleive that you should offer up your virgin daughters to rapist in order to insure the Lords work is done?

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Ok Dallas I am confused?......what you getting at? :confused:

What Im getting at is that is exactly what Lot did in the Bible..And it was written like he was doing a good thing for God....

Now in church's all across the world is anyone ever instructed or taught to do this if the need seems to arise?...Absolutely not..So why isnt it retracted?..Why isnt it specifically taught that its the wrong thing to do?

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So my point is..there are many things in the Bible IMHO that were written that most would consider to be absurd and quite frankly barbaric to actually do now..But they are left in there as a righteous act for the love of God.

Love

Dallas

rabanes

hahaha....oh this is hilarious! Now you are saying I removed the article!
Actually, I said: "If I were a distrustful, cynical, suspicious person, I'd say you (or someone else here)."

You wont believe me but I didn't, I don't even know HOW to remove an article from Wiki.
Okay, I believe you. Why wouldn't I? And I'd have no reason/proof to say otherwise. I just found it remarkably coincidental. Don't you?

I cant look at quotes, if I cant find them...maybe someone did move them, maybe you made it up, I dont know...I will go look at your website now though with the links you have provided...but can I ask you to please stop throwing accusations around.
That wasn't exactly an accusation per se. It was musing in a probing manner. :D

I did see the quotes on your site, but I couldnt trust you copied them correctly, so wanted to see them on MormonWiki - I am not playing a game, and not wanting exact words, just when I see evidence, I like to see it from the original source!!!
Well, the truly original sources are not wiki. The original sources are those in which the actual quotes appear (e.g., Journal of Discourses, etc.). You had those references in my website. You could have checked the true original sources from the sources listed.

Oh and for the record, I am baptised LDS, but I AM NOT LDS, please do not take the assumption I am!
Oh I need to hear you explain that one. Please do so. I'm all ears. You are NOT a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS)?

That's a far cry from saying it's CENTRAL to our beliefs.
And now who is the "our" you're talking about since you have just said you are NOT LDS (i.e., not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Why do I have a feeling I'll be getting some clever response about how you really are a member of the LDS Church, but you're not LDS.....).

These are not central to our beliefs. Where they touch our beliefs, they are actually quite peripheral. How else do you explain why these supposedly "CENTRAL" beliefs are seldom, if ever, taught in our lessons?
Such games. Just stop it. How about checking out your STANDARD WORKS, which is actually where you get your doctrines from. And also the statements of your prophets when speaking as prophets. C'mon Deep, please...just stop it. I know what Mormonism teaches and so do you. So, please knock off the "where is that in our teaching manuals" line. Man, you guys make it very hard.

RA

Truth_Faith13

Actually, I said: "If I were a distrustful, cynical, suspicious person, I'd say you (or someone else here)."

Okay, I believe you. Why wouldn't I? And I'd have no reason/proof to say otherwise. I just found it remarkably coincidental. Don't you?

That wasn't exactly an accusation per se. It was musing in a probing manner. :D

Well, the truly original sources are not wiki. The original sources are those in which the actual quotes appear (e.g., Journal of Discourses, etc.). You had those references in my website. You could have checked the true original sources from the sources listed.

Oh I need to hear you explain that one. Please do so. I'm all ears. You are NOT a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS)?

And now who is the "our" you're talking about since you have just said you are NOT LDS (i.e., not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Why do I have a feeling I'll be getting some clever response about how you really are a member of the LDS Church, but you're not LDS.....).

Such games. Just stop it. How about checking out your STANDARD WORKS, which is actually where you get your doctrines from. And also the statements of your prophets when speaking as prophets. C'mon Deep, please...just stop it. I know what Mormonism teaches and so do you. So, please knock off the "where is that in our teaching manuals" line. Man, you guys make it very hard.

RA

Ok now you are getting quotings confused, you have quoted it as saying DeepShadow having said it, when most of them were me - Dream Angel.

DeepShadow said that, not me, DeepShadow is a member, I no-longer am! Its a long and complicated story, you are new to the forum so I dont expect you to know. I got baptised in July 2007, left after 6weeks, then went back 7weeks ago and now I have come across more teachings which I am just not agreeing with and have therefore decided to leave. I am still in the process of leaving - struggling as I have made some good friends at the Church.

Thats it in a nutshell, the reasons are quite complicated and I have had a lot of confusion over it! Although, I think you need to sort out the confusion of who you are talking to first....otherwise next you will be thinking Katzpur said this and I can assure you she is definitely a member! :D

Truth_Faith13

So my point is..there are many things in the Bible IMHO that were written that most would consider to be absurd and quite frankly barbaric to actually do now..But they are left in there as a righteous act for the love of God.

Love

Dallas

I have no idea who Lot is, but I get ya now! Thanks! :D

Watchmen

Premium Member
RA - didn't you say earlier I need to read more carefully? Look again, brother. You need to read more carefully. You're attributing quotes by Dream Angel to Deep Shadow.

rabanes

LOL! Deep shadow, dream angel, Mormons, non-Mormons, used-to-be-Mormons. I'm getting to old for message boards. There was a time at the advent of this Internet thing that life was much easier. LoL. Sigh.....:help: I'm going to stick to things nice and slow, like books, and talking over a coffee at some peaceful cafe, the way we used to do things long ago ---- like back in the 1980s. LoL.

RA

Truth_Faith13

LOL! Deep shadow, dream angel, Mormons, non-Mormons, used-to-be-Mormons. I'm getting to old for message boards. There was a time at the advent of this Internet thing that life was much easier. LoL. Sigh.....:help: I'm going to stick to things nice and slow, like books, and talking over a coffee at some peaceful cafe, the way we used to do things long ago ---- like back in the 1980s. LoL.

RA

Perhaps you are :p

There are many different beliefs on this forum, some people have probably gone through about three religions. Many people may be atheist now but were once catholic, mormon, protestant - anything. We have so many combinations! That is the beauty of the forums!

Books are boring, forums are so much more fun! :D

Watchmen

Premium Member

RA

Wow. A modern journalist who can't handle message boards.

Like you told me, read carefully and you'll be fine.

Or, is this just a front because you know DeepShadow and I are right and you're too proud or embarassed to admit you were wrong? Why don't you go back and actually try to respond to his post? At least try to explain why our CENTRAL teachings are actually peripheral and our PERIPHERAL are actually central.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I have no idea who Lot is, but I get ya now! Thanks! :D

Lot was the one saved by Gods angels from being wiped out in Sodom when God destroyed the cites.The angels came to warn Lot to get him and his family out of there..and the men of the city came to rape the Angels..Lot offered up his virgin daughters to them instead.

Would you ever dream of offering up your daughters to be raped in the name of God?

Nowhere does it ever say Lot was WRONG for being willing to do that..

Love

Dallas