• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

cardero

Citizen Mod
Sure we are! We can talk about what makes a belief "central" versus "peripheral." You seem to have some confusion on that point, to the level that you think if something isn't central, it doesn't exist!

I posted a link to our actual central teachings--to the very manuals we teach it out of, in fact. Do you deny that these manuals contain our CENTRAL teachings?

I am a little confused at the difference between the central and peripheral beliefs. Are central beliefs, beliefs that cannot be questioned, reasoned or concluded? Are peripheral beliefs, beliefs that cannot be shared, taught or encouraged?

Watchmen

Premium Member
I am a little confused at the difference between the central and peripheral beliefs. Are central beliefs, beliefs that cannot be questioned, reasoned or concluded? Are peripheral beliefs, beliefs that cannot be shared, taught or encouraged?

I would never presume to speak for DeepShadow, but this is my understanding of what he means.

"Central Beliefs" refers to the core and actual doctrine of the church that is found in the standard works, its lesson manuals, and website.

"Peripheral Beliefs" refers to those "teachings" that are not a part of the core and actual doctrine, but are more opinions or philosophies held by individuals but not the Church as a whole.

RA presumes to tell us that these individually held peripheral beliefs are the real teachings of Mormonism, even when some of these beliefs are decades old. We find that offensive.

And, for the record, I'd like to tell RA that the most central belief the Church holds and that I hold is that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I am imperfect (ask my wife). I make mistakes every day. Mistakes that separate me from God. However, by accepting Christ into my life these sins are washed away that I might stand pure before God. I am eternally grateful for His great sacrifice.

rabanes

You still haven't answered his points (or mine). Care to try again (I'm referring to the difference between central and peripheral teachings)?
Ahhhh, I see. Go to a library, or bookstore, get the book Inside Today's Mormonism (or also titled Becoming Gods) and read pages pp. 13-16, under the sub-heading "Discerning LDS Doctrine." Sorry, I can't repost 4 pages of text (copyright/contractual issues w/ publisher).

RA

rabanes

RA presumes to tell us that these individually held peripheral beliefs are the real teachings of Mormonism, even when some of these beliefs are decades old.
HEAVENLY MOTHER is not "decades old." Without Heavenly Mother your whole LDS structure falls in a heap. It is central to Mormonism, but is not discussed much. It is the only central teaching not found in the Standard Works. I see HEAVENLY MOTHER being talked about here like its some kind of peripheral issue. :no:

RA

Watchmen

Premium Member
HEAVENLY MOTHER is not "decades old." Without Heavenly Mother your whole LDS structure falls in a heap. It is central to Mormonism, but is not discussed much. It is the only central teaching not found in the Standard Works. I see HEAVENLY MOTHER being talked about here like its some kind of peripheral issue. :no:

RA

This is exactly what we're talking about. I don't think any of the LDS here would call "Heavenly Mother" a "central teaching." As DeepShadow asked, why don't you go to our manuals he linked to and show us how much there is about this so-called "central teaching."

You still fail to distinguish between central teachings and individual belief.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

RA

What if their is a heavenly mother???

Exactly why is that so upsetting to you?..I mean why do you care?

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
This is exactly what we're talking about. I don't think any of the LDS here would call "Heavenly Mother" a "central teaching." As DeepShadow asked, why don't you go to our manuals he linked to and show us how much there is about this so-called "central teaching."

You still fail to distinguish between central teachings and individual belief.

Is there a heavenly mother Watchman??? In any of your teachings?..And if there is ...is that downplayed or not talked about...??? And if it is downplayed or not discussed or not talked about why is that so????

I would think if there was a heavenly mother she should be discussed often..Unless the man is more important...Like when Lot offered up his daughters to be raped to save the male angels...

Love

Dallas

rabanes

I don't think any of the LDS here would call "Heavenly Mother" a "central teaching."
Sad. There's no point in this any more. HMother is the very source of birth for you as spirit children in the heavenly realms. Marriage of HFather and HMother + the eternal family unit is central not only to your own existence, but eternal progression -- a major feature of Mormonism. You know it. I know. This has become silly. But id o wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

RA

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I never said these were in the BOM. Try reading your other standard works (if you are a Mormon). If you're really a Hindu -- all is forgiven.

RA

You mean if my little brother is Hindu you forgive him???

DON!!! He forgives YOU!!!(ONLY if you are REALLY Hindu though)

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Im just trying to have some humility here...I just am trying to get in your head and understand you...Rabanes..

What is your problem with Mormons/LDS???

Are they threatening you somehow?

Love

Dallas

rabanes

Im just trying to have some humility here...I just am trying to get in your head and understand you...Rabanes..What is your problem with Mormons/LDS???Are they threatening you somehow?
Nope. Not threatening in the least.

1. This forum is "Religious Debates."

2. I'm a religion journalist who likes to talk religion on occasion.

That's about it. Oh, and 3., I like to see people who mght be reading this thread to get accurate information, which is not always forthcoming from Mormons. As previously noted, please see;

Michael J. Barrett - Excommunicated for Publicly Confirming LDS Teaching
excommunicated for trying to tell the general public the truth about what Mormons actually believe

On Being a Mormon Historian
by former BYU history professor excommunicated for trying to tell the truth about Mormon history.

RA

Watchmen

Premium Member
Sad. There's no point in this any more. HMother is the very source of birth for you as spirit children in the heavenly realms. Marriage of HFather and HMother + the eternal family unit is central not only to your own existence, but eternal progression -- a major feature of Mormonism. You know it. I know. This has become silly. But id o wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

RA

As usual, you're twisting things. Please go to the links provided by DeepShadow to show where "Heavenly Mother" is a "central teaching."

To all reading this: I suggest avoiding R Abanes work as he clearly cannot distinguish the difference between doctrine and individual belief.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Oh, and 3., I like to see people who mght be reading this thread to get accurate information, which is not always forthcoming from Mormons.

Why should anyone care what Mormons believe if they aren't themselves Mormons? Do you think there's some dangerous heresy that they're secretly waiting to teach converts after the drag them in? If so, which one(s), why is it dangerous, and what do you care if a particular Mormon wants to believe it?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You know, it would be so much more worthwhile if we could debate which of Mormonism's unique doctrines rabanes considers to contradict the Bible, or something more along those lines. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from a 22-page conversation that goes like this:

rabanes: Mormons believe...

LDS poster #1: No we don't. We believe...

rabanes: No you don't. You believe...

LDS poster #2: No, that's wrong. What we believe is...

rabanes: No, that's not what you believe. You believe...

LDS poster #3: No, we don't. Here's what we believe...

rabanes: I'll tell you what you believe...

LDS poster #4: I don't believe that!

rabanes: Yes you do. That's what your Church teaches.

LDS poster #5: I've never heard such a thing taught. That's not what our Church teaches.

rabanes: Yes it is.

Etc. etc. etc.

rabanes

To all reading this: I suggest avoiding R Abanes work
Well, that's no surprise.

To all Reading this: I suggest trying alternate sources for information on Mormonism because of the inherent problem of getting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth from Mormons. See:

Michael J. Barrett - Excommunicated for Publicly Confirming LDS Teaching
excommunicated for trying to tell the general public the truth about what Mormons actually believe

On Being a Mormon Historian
by former BYU history professor excommunicated for trying to tell the truth about Mormon history.

RA