• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

Watchmen

Premium Member
You know, it would be so much more worthwhile if we could debate which of Mormonism's unique doctrines rabanes considers to contradict the Bible, or something more along those lines. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from a 22-page conversation that goes like this:

rabanes: Mormons believe...

LDS poster #1: No we don't. We believe...

rabanes: No you don't. You believe...

LDS poster #2: No, that's wrong. What we believe is...

rabanes: No, that's not what you believe. You believe...

LDS poster #3: No, we don't. Here's what we believe...

rabanes: I'll tell you what you believe...

LDS poster #4: I don't believe that!

rabanes: Yes you do. That's what your Church teaches.

LDS poster #5: I've never heard such a thing taught. That's not what our Church teaches.

rabanes: Yes it is.

Etc. etc. etc.

I disagree, katz. I've invited him to meet Deep's challenge and go to the links provided and show us where his claims are part of our "central teachings." He's clearly failed to do that.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Well, that's no surprise.

To all Reading this: I suggest trying alternate sources for information on Mormonism because of the inherent problem of getting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth from Mormons. See:

Michael J. Barrett - Excommunicated for Publicly Confirming LDS Teaching
excommunicated for trying to tell the general public the truth about what Mormons actually believe

On Being a Mormon Historian
by former BYU history professor excommunicated for trying to tell the truth about Mormon history.

RA

Actually, this is much better: Rough Stone Rolling.

Amazon.com: Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling: Richard Lyman Bushman: Books

Watchmen

Premium Member
To admins: are we allowed to schill our works for money on the forum??? Maybe the RF should get some advertising money.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
doppelgänger;1356546 said:
Why should anyone care what Mormons believe if they aren't themselves Mormons? Do you think there's some dangerous heresy that they're secretly waiting to teach converts after the drag them in? If so, which one(s), why is it dangerous, and what do you care if a particular Mormon wants to believe it?

I didn't want these questions for rabanes to get lost in the shuffle.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Nope. Not threatening in the least.

1. This forum is "Religious Debates."

2. I'm a religion journalist who likes to talk religion on occasion.

That's about it. Oh, and 3., I like to see people who mght be reading this thread to get accurate information, which is not always forthcoming from Mormons. As previously noted, please see;

Michael J. Barrett - Excommunicated for Publicly Confirming LDS Teaching
excommunicated for trying to tell the general public the truth about what Mormons actually believe

On Being a Mormon Historian
by former BYU history professor excommunicated for trying to tell the truth about Mormon history.

RA

Im glad you like to talk religion...NO harm in that..

But #3 seems to me you are on a mission to sound an "alarm bell"..to "others"

Why???

Love

Dallas

cardero

Citizen Mod
To admins: are we allowed to schill our works for money on the forum??? Maybe the RF should get some advertising money.
I'd be willing to trade book for book with Mr. Abanes but in his defense, he did guide interested members to their local libraries.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'd be willing to trade book for book with Mr. Abanes but in his defense he did guide interested members to their local libraries.

Sure - I think he did that once. My point is that instead of engaging in discussion here, he keeps posting links to his books over and over.

rabanes

Ahhh the money angle and accusation -- I was waiting for that one too. Good one. Actually I have recommended several different resources, and when someone asked me for my response, it's already printed and in the public -- hence I reference. Also, when asked about my views on Mormonism, I also quoted from my book (see POST #119). I can't help it that my responses and views are in a form that is public and professional. Sorry. :(

RA

Watchmen

Premium Member
RA: Any response to DeepShadow's challenge to find "central teachings" at the links he provided?

doppelganger

Richard, when you get a moment, I have a few questions for you:

Why should anyone care what Mormons believe if they aren't themselves Mormons? Do you think there's some dangerous heresy that they're secretly waiting to teach converts after the drag them in? If so, which one(s), why is it dangerous, and what do you care if a particular Mormon wants to believe it?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
doppelgänger;1356578 said:
Richard, when you get a moment, I have a few questions for you:

Its fascinating!!! I think they are vampires..lurking in the corners to drain the blood out of our bodies and make "us" inhuman/immortal...

Love

Dallas

Watchmen

Premium Member
Good luck, Dopp. RA consitently picks and chooses what he'll respond too, often gets it wrong because he doesn't read carefully, and concludes by schilling his books.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Good luck, Dopp. RA consitently picks and chooses what he'll respond too, often gets it wrong because he doesn't read carefully, and concludes by schilling his books.

He cant respond to me...Except for the truth...Its "personally fascinating " to him..

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
What ISNT fascinating to him (assuming he is a (non LDS)Christian) HOW in the HELL do you explain the Bible?????

Explain that!

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

doppelganger

I think he's an Evangelical fundamentalist (and specifically a Rick Warren apologist) with a doctrinal axe to grind, and he's being very coy about admitting it. Ironic, as he appears to be projecting onto Mormons the very habit in which he is engaging.

As an Evangelical and Biblical literalist his beliefs are no more or no less silly than anything he's criticizing.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
doppelgänger;1356591 said:
I think he's an Evangelical fundamentalist (and specifically a Rick Warren apologist) with a doctrinal axe to grind, and he's being very coy about admitting it. Ironic, as he appears to be projecting onto Mormons the very habit in which he is engaging.

As an Evangelical and Biblical literalist his beliefs are no more or no less silly than anything he's criticizing.

I agree...

Love

Dallas

Watchmen

Premium Member
doppelgänger;1356591 said:

Agreed. A quick google of his name reveals he's a Warren apologist and has even been criticized by other Evangelicals.

Agreed.