• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

servant1

I consider Christ to be, first and foremost, a great moral teacher. If we all lived or tried to live according to the revolutionary principles expressed in the Sermon on the Mount, the world would be a far better place than it currently is.
I agree. The problem is, the majority of religions claiming to be Christian teach little of what Jesus taught. Those taught in the schools of men and become ministers( pastors) whatever they call themselves, are paid to teach their religious brand of dogma and teach little of what Jesus taught. Most do not bother to learn all that Jesus taught. That is very sad. Because Jesus teaches-John 15:10-14--((((((((To remain his friend and remain in his love, one must obey him.)))))))))-- Its impossible for one to obey him if they do not know all that he teaches. And he summed up his Fathers will( Matt 7:21) in a single teaching when he said--Man does not live by bread alone but by EVERY utterance from God= OT-NT. Thus reality = Ones taking the lead in Jesus' real religion, without fail teach EVERY utterance from God to the flock, it never stops. All can look at their ministers and see if they do that, if not, they do not belong to Jesus-RUN FROM THEM( 2Cor 11:12-15)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You ( and many others) can and will select whatever writings that agree with their predetermined philosophies, then follow them. The Bible has stood the test for thousands of years; alternatives come and go. No more needs to be said...

BTW, why do you finish your post with quotes from the Bible? Why not quote from "New Testament Revelations of Jesus of Nazareth" if that is your preferred source of truth? You can't accept both.
I do realize that some here believe in evolution and also go to church. They also may say that the Bible is mythical. How do you feel about that? Do you believe that much of the Bible is based on myths?

jimb

Premium Member
I do realize that some here believe in evolution and also go to church. They also may say that the Bible is mythical. How do you feel about that? Do you believe that much of the Bible is based on myths?
It depends what you mean by "myth". A myth can be "a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon and typically involving supernatural beings or events". If that is what you mean, then some of the Bible is based on myths. The Bible is meant to teach about God's interaction with His creation. Some of that teaching is stories to teach certain principles, such as the story of Adam and Eve. But that doesn't mean that the Bible is false.

To say that "much of the Bible is based on myths" is not true.

YoursTrue

d
It depends what you mean by "myth". A myth can be "a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon and typically involving supernatural beings or events". If that is what you mean, then some of the Bible is based on myths. The Bible is meant to teach about God's interaction with His creation. Some of that teaching is stories to teach certain principles, such as the story of Adam and Eve. But that doesn't mean that the Bible is false.

To say that "much of the Bible is based on myths" is not true.
It might help for you to ask those such as: @IndigoChild5559 , @Subduction Zone and more what they think about the Bible's authenticity. Thanks.

YoursTrue

The Bible does not appear to have very much in the way of "authenticity" since it has failures from start to finish.

You seem to believe that. What evidence do you have to support that claim?
Hopefully you might elucidate your queries and ask others here who claim to be theists. Maybe such learned ones can help answer your question. I defer. :) To those theists especially those who tell me I'm uneducated -- do not understand the Trinity -- maybe they can help you.

YoursTrue

The Bible does not appear to have very much in the way of "authenticity" since it has failures from start to finish.

Very quiet on the theist front by those who say they believe in God and evolution and also talk about the Bible being filled with lots of myths. They are behind the bushes, perhaps? Waiting for the next convenient time to come out?

YoursTrue

By the way, thank you for your answer. I hope those here can say why they are "theists." :)