• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

As I said, a way of appeasing those who get bent out of shape by skepticism. The’ conclusion’ doesn’t follow from the previous discussion, does it?
Yes it does and Solomon didn’t have to appease anyone as King and the wisest man. He had everything and did whatever he wanted to.
What was his conclusion after all was heard?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes it does and Solomon didn’t have to appease anyone as King and the wisest man. He had everything and did whatever he wanted to.
What was his conclusion after all was heard?
Yes, he did. He had to appease the priests. He went along with them because it was politically expedient. The kingdom was a power sharing between the kings and the priests.

And no, the’ conclusion’ to follow God does not follow at all from the previous discussion. It is clearly something to avoid condemnation by the priests.

This, by the way, has been a common tactic of skeptics: they write what they really mean and then do a few lines at the end to avoid being condemned, essentially saying’ just kidding’.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread is about : If you consider yourself a Christian which parts do you consider true?
I would say that the skeptics on here and the comments are not in keeping with the thread at all, I’m wondering why a person who doesn’t consider themselves a Christian would be asking and commenting in the manner that they are?
It's in a debate section.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Which Bible? Were you referring to the Catholic Bible (with a 73-book canon), the Greek Orthodox Bible (with a 79-book canon), or the Protestant Bible (with a 66-book canon)? If you were referring to a specific Protestant Bible, then which one do you believe is the most accurate? Do you think it's the King James version or one of the other multiple translations (see the search results for the translations here) that are now in print? Or perhaps the Bible should be read in its original languages of Greek (referred to as Koine), Hebrew, and Aramaic in order to ensure authenticity. Which Bible were you referring to?
I imagine you can research that, I never thought about which Bible he was translating from. What do you think, and why do you think it is important to know for this thread?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I imagine you can research that, I never thought about which Bible he was translating from. What do you think, and why do you think it is important to know for this thread?

I wasn't referring to anyone else in this thread but you because you said, "Also referring to lifestyle, meaning I appreciate that the Bible has been preserved for centuries." So I asked you which Bible you were referring to and referenced several ones for you to choose from. Therefore, I have nothing to research on my own. I asked my questions because this is a debate forum and questions are often asked in a debate. Honestly, it doesn't make any difference to me which translation of the Bible you were referring to. I simply wanted to gauge your understanding regarding the various translations that are now in print.

F1fan

Veteran Member
This thread is about : If you consider yourself a Christian which parts do you consider true?
Yes, it's astounding the degree to which Christians disagree with each other. I call Christianity a religious buffet, because it accomodates anyone. It accomodates liberals who believe in universal healthcare, to moderates, to conservatives, to extremists like the KKK and creationists. All believe they are saved even though from the extremes they are incompatable.

There is no set and established moral or doctrinal standard that defines Christianity. It's a religion of: anything goes. Look for yourself, how could the Catholic and Lutheran Germans commit the Holocaust and their Christian beliefs not guide them to better judgment? You explain to us how Christianity can fail so miserably. The Southern Baptists of the Confederate States of America saw dark skinned people as less human, and believed they could be slaves. Explain how that is compatible with what Jesus taught.
I would say that the skeptics on here and the comments are not in keeping with the thread at all, I’m wondering why a person who doesn’t consider themselves a Christian would be asking and commenting in the manner that they are?
Because most of us were raised Christian and for our own reasons found the dogma not believable. We are free to share our experiences too.

I was forced to go to church as a child. I questioned why we had to go. I had questions about what the pastor said, and got unsatisfactory answers, even for a child. Even though I was 8, 9, 10 I observed my Baptist side of my family have problems with my Catholic family members, and this did not match the "love" that was supposed to be the core value of Christianity. Something didn't add up. Here was a common religion that divided my family. Something is really flawed with this religion.

YoursTrue

I wasn't referring to anyone else in this thread but you because you said, "Also referring to lifestyle, meaning I appreciate that the Bible has been preserved for centuries." So I asked you which Bible you were referring to and referenced several ones for you to choose from. Therefore, I have nothing to research on my own. I asked my questions because this is a debate forum and questions are often asked in a debate. Honestly, it doesn't make any difference to me which translation of the Bible you were referring to. I simply wanted to gauge your understanding regarding the various translations that are now in print.
Oh I thought you were talking about the one Tyndale translated and was killed for. There are many translations in print.

YoursTrue

The main question is for those who consider themselves Christian.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It seems to me that your question is for the staff to decide and answer, rather than a regular member with no authority to say differently.
From the other thread that was similar from quotes from staff that posted there by placing it in a general debates area it is not limited. There are areas where one could post this and non-Christians could not answer. Such as in the Christian DIR's. That is what those areas are for. You cannot post in general debate areas and tell certain groups that they cannot participate.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
From the other thread that was similar from quotes from staff that posted there by placing it in a general debates area it is not limited. There are areas where one could post this and non-Christians could not answer. Such as in the Christian DIR's. That is what those areas are for. You cannot post in general debate areas and tell certain groups that they cannot participate.

In my opinion, if Christians dislike having their personal beliefs challenged by others, particularly non-Christians, they shouldn't post a thread or discuss their beliefs in the debate section. It stands to reason that both non-Christians and other Christians would challenge their beliefs in the debate section.

Because most of us were raised Christian and for our own reasons found the dogma not believable. We are free to share our experiences too.
Go ahead and share but was wondering why the “preaching” comment. Sounds more like crying and complaining when Scripture is shared that I’ve found to be true. I don’t know what to say other than I’m sorry you all had bad experiences. I have too but that wasn’t from God and I see those situations differently.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, I pray in the Spirit and am built up and strengthened, it’s an awesome time with God. So test away.
Once again, speaking in tongues has been shown to be just gibberish. If you want to claim that it means what the Bible says that it means you need to provide evidence.

Once again, speaking in tongues has been shown to be just gibberish. If you want to claim that it means what the Bible says that it means you need to provide evidence.

Why would I need to provide evidence? I’m speaking to my Father in Heaven and really like to keep that private, maybe that’s why I speak in language only He understands and one that builds me up.