• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Christian smoke marijuana?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I totally agree! :clap We are told in the Bible to not be drunk with wine, therefore I think that also omits the idea of getting high on weed. We need to have a sound mind, not one that is under the influence of a substance. ;)
Tell that to everyone on antidepressants...
and caffeine.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Personally, I'd rather face down a mob of mellowed-out pot heads than a mob of drunken rednecks.

And I'd much rather face a mob of drunken rednecks than a group of fundies all hopped up on JAY-ZUS!

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
In my opinion.... I would say it means not to come under it's influence. One should use wisdom in the amount they choose to drink. For myself, I don't drink any alcohol. I've seen what can happen when a person is drunk and I find it to be frightening. I prefer iced tea, or milk, soda, spring water, none of which will make one drunk. :)

See Below.

No. "Drunk" is used in the sense of "falling down and losing control of your bladder", you know what I mean? It's a loss of the will to control yourself.

Then if one can have 'an amount, and not be drunken' couldn't one have a puff or two without burning down a whole joint, get red eyed and grinning from ear to ear?

This is why I asked if people had ever smoked before... I think some people believe that one puff and you're off your rocker.

Tell that to everyone on antidepressants...
and caffeine.

swutimsayin'

Humans have and always will medicate one way or another...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Are you kidding? My stepfather used to smoke pot. He quit because it became too expensive. I think I preferred him high to drunk (he doesn't drink anymore either, he is elderly). I am not sure if I would smoke it or not if it was legal, but for right now, it is illegal, so I wouldn't smoke it. Here in California, people can smoke it for medicinal purposes.

Robotic18

Robotic18
You CAN smoke marijuana,but it just depends on what you think would be acceptable by Christianity. I personally believe it is wrong to smoke at all because it causes harm to the body,and is illegal in most countries.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Marijuana has never been called dope by anyone other than those afraid of it. And what's in YOUR medicine cabinet?

I rarely use prescription drugs -in fact, I rarely even take an aspirin. I don't use sleep aids, unless you count warm milk. I don't feel any need to get drunk, though I do enjoy a drink occasionally. I don't smoke.

In other words, I don't need substances to enhance my living experience. Wait, I take that back - i do drink two cups of coffee in the morning - 1/2 caffeine mix. I guess I could cut that out too and my quality of life wouldn't suffer in any significant manner.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Are you kidding? My stepfather used to smoke pot. He quit because it became too expensive. I think I preferred him high to drunk (he doesn't drink anymore either, he is elderly). I am not sure if I would smoke it or not if it was legal, but for right now, it is illegal, so I wouldn't smoke it. Here in California, people can smoke it for medicinal purposes.

I assume you mean me?

I hear you.

Anything can become a problem when cost is incurred in the doing of... anything....

The actual cost based on the amount, my consumption period of 45 days and area, which is Canada it is $1.77 a day to smoke, based on the idea that I'm smoking every day.

I'm not trying to be pushy with anything, I'm genuinely interested in why folks believe what they do and have come to the conclusions that they have.

Personally, I drink less because I smoke, and what I smoke is a laughably small amount, my tolerance is low and I've known for a long time how to gauge my intake just like ,earning/knowing when you've had enough to drink, be it one beer or six...

I take a puff and go for a walk or dance off my pants instead of drinking a lot and harming my body in what I feel, when I consume it, is more harmful and bothersome to my body.

For me, it's more copacetic with my body,budget,lifestyle, etc etc....
Canada is an easier place than the States no doubt... and when I lived there that was a concern for me... but I never thought it made it a sin, which is what we're talking about via the OP, no?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Caffeine in moderation doesn't mess with your head. It doesn't make you high.

I got some friends you need to meet :)

Stimulants are tricky in terms of the high looking like anything destructive or bad....
But hang around a person who is hooked who can't get it... THAT is where you see the addiction... The 'high' is staying normal for them, but they are hooked just the same.. because what you DO notice is the LOW.

Kathryn

Ah well, I don't have friends like that. And I'm not like that either. I'm just not into the substance thing - don't need it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Give me a break.

I am concerned with animal cruelty, slavery, starvation, female mutilation, child abuse, sexual abuse, and the economy, to name just a few causes more worthy of my attention than legalizing marijuana.

I have a full time job and a large family on top of that.

Like I said, bigger fish to fry.

Not wanting to take from the topic....
but really...you pursue these other 'more worthy' causes?

This thread is about the pot.
Can a Christian partake and retain his religious integreity......yes.

Kathryn

Not wanting to take from the topic....
but really...you pursue these other 'more worthy' causes?

This thread is about the pot.
Can a Christian partake and retain his religious integreity......yes.

These other causes mean a lot more to me than whether or not weed is legal. I'm disinclined to expend much energy on this particular cause simply because there are so many hours in a day, and causes that I'd rather invest my time and energy into to make a difference in our law or society in general.

In my post regarding these causes, I was answering a specific question.

Personally, I couldn't care less if an adult, Christian or otherwise, smokes weed - as long as it's not my husband jeopardizing his job and our lifestyle, our son's college, and our retirement plans.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
These other causes mean a lot more to me than whether or not weed is legal. I'm disinclined to expend much energy on this particular cause simply because there are so many hours in a day, and causes that I'd rather invest my time and energy into to make a difference in our law or society in general.

In my post regarding these causes, I was answering a specific question.

Personally, I couldn't care less if an adult, Christian or otherwise, smokes weed - as long as it's not my husband jeopardizing his job and our lifestyle, our son's college, and our retirement plans.

So you don't have to worry about religious integrity?
Smoking pot is not a religious problem?

Kathryn

So you don't have to worry about religious integrity?
Smoking pot is not a religious problem?

Not for me it's not - I don't smoke weed. If it's a religious issue to you, I suggest you do something about it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not for me it's not - I don't smoke weed. If it's a religious issue to you, I suggest you do something about it.

I'm not asking if you participate....or what I should do....

Does heaven care?
Pot smokers allowed in the Door?

Kathryn

I'm not asking if you participate....or what I should do....

Does heaven care?
Pot smokers allowed in the Door?

I have no idea. I prefer to keep the logs out of my own eyes rather than focusing on the splinters in the eyes of others. I will leave that to them and God to sort out.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have no idea. I prefer to keep the logs out of my own eyes rather than focusing on the splinters in the eyes of others. I will leave that to them and God to sort out.

No answer is a good answer?

No man is defiled by what enters the mouth.
He is defiled by what comes out.

I would assume that includes what you set before your fellowman as post.

Kathryn

No answer is a good answer?

No man is defiled by what enters the mouth.
He is defiled by what comes out.

I would assume that includes what you set before your fellowman as post.

Sorry you didn't like my answer. But it's a legitimate answer. I've already clearly stated my position throughout this thread, so I see no need in repeating myself.

But I will clarify. At this time in my life, it would be wrong of me to smoke weed. That could change at some point.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Sorry you didn't like my answer. But it's a legitimate answer. I've already clearly stated my position throughout this thread, so I see no need in repeating myself.

But I will clarify. At this time in my life, it would be wrong of me to smoke weed. That could change at some point.

So it's a timing issue...today is bad...tomorrow might be better.

How about standing at heaven's door...light one up....knock on the door...
Will they let you in?