• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Tiafa

Sure... If, like the rest of us, they don't act on desires which are against God's law. And I know of men with such desires who have made the effort to refrain from acting on such desires.

So it's possible and many gay men are living according to God's laws and no doubt being richly blessed for it too.

So, gay christians are forced to be celibate? (When I say forced, I mean if they want to be 'good' Christians)

Laika

Premium Member
I voted 'No' but this really depends on how you define a "good" christian and is more down to my radical opinions on sex. As an self-conscious atheist, I've still felt the impact of religious beliefs on my sexuality (I'm bisexual) as I went to a primary school with a Christian 'ethos'. Religion has some heavily and implicit anti-sex bias and this caused me psychological problems. I had no idea that these ideas were still affecting me about 20 years later because they were so deeply buried in my unconscious. In my experience, the brain just doesn't "work" the way the bible would want it to. So I hope my input is not unwelcome.

The more literalistic, fundamentalist interpretation of 'good' as derived from observing god's commandments will definitely be a no. An much more open, reasoned Christianity that gives greater grounds for interpretation and gives the individual has greater authority to interpret the meaning of the text could give you a yes. However, it will end up being logically inconsistent because even if you say homosexuality is 'ok' and not a sin, religious generally reduces sex to procreation within the sanctity of marriage rather than the pleasure of the experience.
So, you may find a loophole, but it won't give you the freedom, peace of mind or satisfaction you deserve. Gods love should be unconditional, but he is asking people to repress a natural drive to express their sexuality; both heterosexuals and homosexuals. A fair number of hetrosexuals have homosexual feelings or experiences (but don't identify as bisexual or seek same-sex relations). the psychology of sexual desire lacks the distinct boundaries between gay/straight and in marriage/outside of marriage that a religious text may require. hence it is probably safer not to accept an authority to determine what is right for you.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So, gay christians are forced to be celibate? (When I say forced, I mean if they want to be 'good' Christians)

sometimes we have to struggle to do things Gods way. If that means forcing myself to stop a practice I know to be wrong, then yes. That is what is required.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
sometimes we have to struggle to do things Gods way. If that means forcing myself to stop a practice I know to be wrong, then yes. That is what is required.

Why would any homosexuals or bisexuals ever believe - let alone know - that homosexual sex is inherently wrong?

Surely you can't be implying that God is a sadist?

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
Oh no, not another of these tiresome threads....

Some people are gay, get over it.
People choose to be gay or not.
If you want to be a Christian, then you must choose to follow Jesus' teachings.

Last edited:

Yes

If a spouse commits adultery on you, and you divorce, you are to remain celibate for the rest of your life, or be reunited with your spouse.
If a gay person wants to become a Christian, they will obey Jesus and put to death their desires for the same sex.
If you want something bad enough, you would do it.
If you want to be saved by Jesus, then you would do what he says.

Sultan Of Swing

That depends on how you are defining a "gay person".

A person who is actively practising homosexual acts is not practising their faith.

A person who struggles with homosexual urges but does not act on them, that is following God and being a "good" Christian.

Yes

No, they actually do not. It is a very harmful and unfounded urban legend that says otherwise.
People choose. Your mere denial means nothing except that you deny the truth. The Bible tells us how to change our thoughts.

Yes

That depends on how you are defining a "gay person".

A person who is actively practising homosexual acts is not practising their faith.

A person who struggles with homosexual urges but does not act on them, that is following God and being a "good" Christian.
It matters what a Christian thinks. We cannot even have gay thoughts.

Sultan Of Swing

It matters what a Christian thinks. We cannot even have gay thoughts.
It does matter what a Christian thinks, but there's a difference between a temptation entering the mind, and letting the temptation take over and indulging in those thoughts, would you agree?

Yes

It does matter what a Christian thinks, but there's a difference between a temptation entering the mind, and letting the temptation take over and indulging in those thoughts, would you agree?
Of course, many things could come to our mind, but we have more than just resistance, we have the Word of God to obey. If we are to become as little children. We are to hate what we are not to do.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
People choose to be gay or not.
If you want to be a Christian, then you must choose to follow Jesus' teachings.

People choose. Your mere denial means nothing except that you deny the truth. The Bible tells us how to change our thoughts.

Let me see if I got this right.

You are telling me to over-rule what I know it to true, because you say so.

Because for whatever reason, related to the Bible or otherwise, you insist that I am "denying the truth" when I give testimony that homosexuality (not even homosexual sex, mind you, but homosexuality itself) is not a choice.

I hope you are not expecting me to take such a notion seriously.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Yes. I believe God created all creatures. He may speak in the Bible about homosexuality, but He's also responsible for His creations.

When someone dies tragically, you always hear, "We don't understand why, but we just have to believe this is part of God's plan".

I don't know why I am gay, but my faith tells me that I'm the person God has chosen me to be.
I too am gay. I also believe in the same exact thing you just said.
If the radicals want an answer, I tell them god wants to reach gay people too, and thats why there is me.

gsa

A much better question is, why would any gay person want to be a Christian, given the company you are forced to keep? This thread demonstrates why LGBT people are, on the whole, less religious than the overall population.

Yes

Let me see if I got this right.

You are telling me to over-rule what I know it to true, because you say so.

Because for whatever reason, related to the Bible or otherwise, you insist that I am "denying the truth" when I give testimony that homosexuality (not even homosexual sex, mind you, but homosexuality itself) is not a choice.

I hope you are not expecting me to take such a notion seriously.
You are the one in a Christian thread about Christians.

Do you want God's Truth, or your truth?

Yes

A much better question is, why would any gay person want to be a Christian, given the company you are forced to keep? This thread demonstrates why LGBT people are, on the whole, less religious than the overall population.

When one becomes a Christian they are doing so to be reconciled to God.

We are to die to the flesh and our spirit comes alive by obeying Jesus.

Yes

I too am gay. I also believe in the same exact thing you just said.
If the radicals want an answer, I tell them god wants to reach gay people too, and thats why there is me.

Believing in Jesus is not enough, we have to obey Jesus.