• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can all religions settle their diffrences?

Man of Faith

Yeah, proselytizing is pretty hostile to your target's faith.

If I understand what you are saying, offering an alternative religion to someone that already has a religion is being hostile to that religion. What about if someone wants me to try their hair gel when I already have one that I like? The hostility in this world is unbelievable.

Poisonshady313

If I understand what you are saying, offering an alternative religion to someone that already has a religion is being hostile to that religion. What about if someone wants me to try their hair gel when I already have one that I like? The hostility in this world is unbelievable.
people aren't nearly as attached to their hair gel as they are their religion.

Hair gel has no effect on one's relationship with God.... hair gel doesn't affect the fate of one's soul... and a person isn't put at odds with his family if he uses a different hair gel as they do. Also... nobody has a heritage directly tied to their hair gel for perhaps thousands of years.

Unless you believe that your faith is just about as important as hair gel... which would be sad for you...

unless you believe that other faiths are just about as important as hair gel, which would reflect poorly on your character as a human being.

Hawk1

Hawk
I agree with what has been said above. Hoping that religions can coexist peacefully is a paradox in itself. To acknowledge another religion as viable and not try to convert the "unbeliever" (whether with violence or not) would be to deny and contradict your own.

Man of Faith

people aren't nearly as attached to their hair gel as they are their religion.

Hair gel has no effect on one's relationship with God.... hair gel doesn't affect the fate of one's soul... and a person isn't put at odds with his family if he uses a different hair gel as they do. Also... nobody has a heritage directly tied to their hair gel for perhaps thousands of years.

Unless you believe that your faith is just about as important as hair gel... which would be sad for you...

unless you believe that other faiths are just about as important as hair gel, which would reflect poorly on your character as a human being.

Whether hair gel or religion is more important to a person or not the concept is the same. If I am approached by a person while I am shopping to try their new hair gel, I don't consider that hostile to my hair gel because for one, they don't know what type I use or if I even use any. What if they believe that their hair gel will keep me from going bald, it would be compassionate for them to tell me about it. Same thing with Jesus, if I believe that Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then it is compassionate for me to tell someone about him.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether hair gel or religion is more important to a person or not the concept is the same. If I am approached by a person while I am shopping to try their new hair gel, I don't consider that hostile to my hair gel because for one, they don't know what type I use or if I even use any. What if they believe that their hair gel will keep me from going bald, it would be compassionate for them to tell me about it. Same thing with Jesus, if I believe that Jesus is the only way to Heaven, then it is compassionate for me to tell someone about him.

Do you understand that people of other religions are doing the same thing when they try to preach to you?

mimidotcom

Seeking
May parents and most of my extended family are devout Christians who are firmly convinced that I, and any other non-believers are going to Hell. They are convinced, beyond any doubt that all the Jews and Muslims are going to Hell. They are also convinced that it is their duty to go out and recruit (almost by any means necessary) others into their cause. They do not, and will not listen to factual, actual evidence that any of their various positions are incorrect.

I have little doubt that there are many similarly mindset'd Muslims in this world, just as there are tons of Christians who would fall into lockstep with my family (Sarah Palin, anyone? . . . shudder) and there are obviously many who fall into lockstep with the bin Laden's of this world.

As long as people are being told that their position is right, simply and totally because they feel it to be right, and they are convinced that their way is THE way, then religions, specifically monotheistic ones, will not get along. It is inherent in their belief structure. We are right, everyone else is wrong. We are going to Heaven, and those we dislike are going to Hell. We KNOW we are right, NOT based on any facts, or demonstrable evidence, and often times we are willing to harm others that think differently, whether they have any reason to feel the way they do or not.

As long as there are large enough groups of people who fit in with the ideas expressed by the "we" from the previous paragraph, then I fear there is absolutely no hope for religious people to get along. Basically, until people are willing and able to have the courage to admit, that there is no reason for them to believe what they do, other than hope, wish thinking, or the like, and not take it so damned seriously, then there isn't much of a chance.

That being said, if more people were to realize that factually speaking, not all religions of this world can be right . . . but in fact, they all can be wrong. . . and start living accordingly, then I don't hold out much hope for the long term happiness of our species.

B.

i come from a similar household.. but my family didnt stick with their teachings.. they force fed us jesusness.. day and night.. homeschooled us with christian curriculum..and as we became teenagers.. they twisted that belief from our minds by turning into complete hypocrits.. in a very extreme sense.. volitile, abusive. it was f*king confusing to a child who "walked with god" to have him thrown out and dismissed unless it somehow excused their behavior.

i agree with you completely when you talk about these religions all having claims on being the "right" religion. when in fact they very well could be all wrong. and as long as each religion feels "chosen" of god, there can be no peace between the religions that all stake claims to the same god..i have my thoughts on how they very possibly are wrong.. and originate in the same place.. but that's not for this thread.. as it's hardly religious at all.:p

Stevo

KnifeySpooner
all religions can't be right; but they can all be wrong.

(from some other dude, not me lol. i take only slight credit)

BruceDLimber

Hi again! :)

[H]ow do you tell which religions are of God? Is it a matter of numbers? Similar teachings?

Teachings can vary widely over the milleania and due to different circumstances where a religion begins.

Personally, I find one of the best criteria is the famous "fruits" test mentioned in the Bible (along with the associated list of fruits in Galatians). The Bible does go on to say a good tree can't bear bad fruit, and vice versa, as well as saying both "Test the spirits!" and assuring us that the sincere seeker will find the truth.

And of course, once you've already accepted one or more religions, then the scriptures and official statements of those religions may themselves endorse other religions (which then of course are included in the list).

So I wish you and everyone else good hunting on your searches!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

Certain religions have discrimination embedded at their core, and it can't be gotten rid of.

And certain religions don't, please note!

(Although I will admit that to the extent that a religion exhibits discrimination or especially hatred, that's a very good reason for seeking religion elsewhere!)

Peace, :)

Bruce

Smoke

Done here.
And certain religions don't, please note!

(Although I will admit that to the extent that a religion exhibits discrimination or especially hatred, that's a very good reason for seeking religion elsewhere!)
Unless it's anti-gay discrimination, right?

Man of Faith

Do you understand that people of other religions are doing the same thing when they try to preach to you?

Yes, I understand and I am fine with it. Mormans come to my house sometimes and we talk, they tell me their beliefs and I tell them my beliefs. It's the American way to have freedom of speech and religion, I don't consider it an afront to my religion or beliefs to have someone tell me about their beliefs.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes, I understand and I am fine with it. Mormans come to my house sometimes and we talk, they tell me their beliefs and I tell them my beliefs. It's the American way to have freedom of speech and religion, I don't consider it an afront to my religion or beliefs to have someone tell me about their beliefs.
Proselytizing goes beyond discussion, it's an attempt to convert. It's saying "you're beliefs are WRONG."

Man of Faith

Proselytizing goes beyond discussion, it's an attempt to convert. It's saying "you're beliefs are WRONG."

Proselytizing is trying to convert someone to your religion or beliefs. We have that freedom in America. In some countries that is illegal but not here. I prefer to live where we have freedom of religion so I have no problem with it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I prefer freedom of religion, too. That doesn't make proselytizing polite, or non-hostile.

I agree with what has been said above. Hoping that religions can coexist peacefully is a paradox in itself. To acknowledge another religion as viable and not try to convert the "unbeliever" (whether with violence or not) would be to deny and contradict your own.

So is the alternative to let the wars and killing continue and do nothing? (I'm not putting words in your mouth, just asking.)

Proselytizing is trying to convert someone to your religion or beliefs. We have that freedom in America. In some countries that is illegal but not here. I prefer to live where we have freedom of religion so I have no problem with it.

I think it's unfair to criticise him for his beliefs. That is part of his teaching. I think the issue really is in the way you try to convert someone. Ok, let's say you approach someone and tell them about Jesus, and they respond by saying, 'I already heard of him, thanks anyway'. I don't think anyone really would have any problems with that, it's when that approach changes to pressure that we get issues.
So can you just approach someone and then take no for an answer? Or is this going against your teaching? I'm just asking the question remember, not judging.