• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can christians support a homosexual inclination?

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Ahh, so you hate 80% of the US population because your idea is that they all think just like Kellykep. Interesting.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
it's far to easy to dance around the word condemn, since only your god can do that...

will you be disappointing your god if you supported your gay child?
i'm not talking about condoning sex before marriage, i'm talking about the natural inclination towards the same sex.

Since it's been proven that people are born with these inclinations, then how could any of us condemn it? Since I believe that "my" God has far more mercy than any human, then how can I think that God would condemn it?
It is far easier to judge and condemn others than to judge and condemn ourselves.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
because it's an excuse.
because it justifies
because it has the potential to defend bad behavior, like any other excuse.

Religion can't be accepted as an excuse for bad behavior. :no:

That's the rule.

Bad behavior is not justified by someone's beliefs. I think you have to hold the individual accountable for their behavior, not their religion.

If you make religion accountable, I think you are buying into the excuse.

IMO a person is accountable for their behavior regardless of their beliefs. I don't see any need to take a person's religion into account when dealing with them.

Road Warrior

Shermana

Heretic
Since it's been proven that people are born with these inclinations, then how could any of us condemn it? Since I believe that "my" God has far more mercy than any human, then how can I think that God would condemn it?
It is far easier to judge and condemn others than to judge and condemn ourselves.

Jesus says that one commits adultery in their hearts by merely looking at a woman with lustful intent, what is an "inclination" other than a lustful intent? G-d's mercy does not translate to freely forgiving unrepentant sinners.

As for being born with it, that's another story, this is not the thread to get into reincarnation hinted at in the Bible, but I believe it's something that can be carried over in the soul's Rebirth process. There are many "inclinations" that people are born with, do you want to say all those other "inclinations" are alright? Some people are inclined towards animals. Many people are "inclined" towards close relatives. Is that now justified because it's inclined? If a person shows interest in his sister from an early age, is that now justified as "inclined"?

As for "judging others", the "Don't judge lest ye be judged" is one of the most out-of-context used teachings of Jesus, did Jesus mean to say you shouldn't judge anyone on anything? Even Paul was quite a judger.

If you believe Paul's Epistles, he most clearly says that those who engage in those acts are not going to the Kingdom. How can one possibly "love" someone by allowing them to do something that bars them entrance from the Kingdom? Make up some Theology that contradicts what the scriptures plainly say or deny them, those are the only options.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Since you're not taking into account that the ancients had no concept of sexual orientation, you're simply not exegeting the texts properly.

I have no idea why my response even indicated that they had an idea of "Sexual orientation", perhaps you'd like to quote which part exactly gave you the idea. I don't think I said anything in that post about such orientation in ancient belief. However, nonetheless the Greeks arguably had their own concept of what is now called "orientation" in their own words.

Now with that, please explain in detail which text I'm not exegeting properly in light of what you're saying of what you claimed I said about "orientation", or kindly admit that you had to set up a straw man from what I said to avoid actually addressing anything specific about the verses I used. Feel free to tell me which verses I'm not exegeting and what you think they mean instead and how they differ from what I said about them. That would be great.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Religion can't be accepted as an excuse for bad behavior. :no:

That's the rule.

Bad behavior is not justified by someone's beliefs. I think you have to hold the individual accountable for their behavior, not their religion.

If you make religion accountable, I think you are buying into the excuse.

IMO a person is accountable for their behavior regardless of their beliefs. I don't see any need to take a person's religion into account when dealing with them.

imo, if someone is indoctrinated they are not accountable...

waitasec

Veteran Member

then your answer to the OP
"can christians support a homosexual inclination"
is yes...however, the consensus is inconsistent...go figure.

Road Warrior

here
why do you want to defend this garbage?

Straw man argument. You take the statements of one anti-gay person and broad brush an entire religion with his post then you claim to hate religion. Not just one religion and not just parts of religion, but "religion". How else can that be read except for people to believe you hate not only all religions but those who believe in religions? I tried to clarify and you made accusations against me. Why?

Dear, that's just one guy. Not "religion". Besides, your broadbrushed all religion by saying "because it's an excuse. because it justifies because it has the potential to defend bad behavior, like any other excuse." Or did you mean something else?

I'd also like a better understanding of your hatred(s). Please explain further.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Straw man argument. You take the statements of one anti-gay person and broad brush an entire religion with his post then you claim to hate religion. Not just one religion and not just parts of religion, but "religion". How else can that be read except for people to believe you hate not only all religions but those who believe in religions? I tried to clarify and you made accusations against me. Why?

do you tolerate excuses?

Road Warrior

It depends on the excuse. IMO, it's better to have reasonable excuses. For example, if I'm late for work because of traffic, I should state "I was late for work because I didn't take into account the amount traffic on the roads at that hour. I will allow for additional time in the future". That's a reasonable excuse and also an apology. As with any apology, it only works if I take corrective action.

Now, I've answered your questions. Why don't you explain why you hate all religions so much? If you don't want to answer, please state so.