• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can christians support a homosexual inclination?

waitasec

Veteran Member
It depends on the excuse. IMO, it's better to have reasonable excuses. For example, if I'm late for work because of traffic, I should state "I was late for work because I didn't take into account the amount traffic on the roads at that hour. I will allow for additional time in the future". That's a reasonable excuse and also an apology. As with any apology, it only works if I take corrective action.

Now, I've answered your questions. Why don't you explain why you hate all religions so much? If you don't want to answer, please state so.

i'm trying to explain. religion isn't a reasonable excuse.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
i'm trying to explain. religion isn't a reasonable excuse.

Excuse for what? Again, how does that explain your hatred for all religions?

here is another unreasonable claim so frequently used by those who substitute religion for reasonableness

Dude, again, that is one person, not the religion itself. There are over a Billion Muslims in the world. Do you really believe all are radicals bent on suicide bombs and beheadings? There are over 2 Billion Christians in the world with about 38,000 different denominations. You hate everyone one of them? For what possible reasonable explanation can a person hate so many people and religious beliefs? Because it's an "excuse"? What the heck? That's not reasonable at all.

blackout

Violet.
I think the point is,
people will generally support what THEY want to support.

Regardless of the things they 'prop up' as their 'support system'.

People will prop up their own ideas by whatever means necessary.
And then point to the 'props' as if they are.... ummm....
not props. :D

blackout

Violet.
I think the point is,

Will someone please pull back the curtain!

waitasec

Veteran Member
Excuse for what? Again, how does that explain your hatred for all religions?

i don't know
9/11, faith healings, the tension in the middle east
the tension between the catholics and the protestants in ireland, mother theresa equating birth control to abortion etc...

Dude, again, that is one person, not the religion itself. There are over a Billion Muslims in the world. Do you really believe all are radicals bent on suicide bombs and beheadings? There are over 2 Billion Christians in the world with about 38,000 different denominations. You hate everyone one of them? For what possible reasonable explanation can a person hate so many people and religious beliefs? Because it's an "excuse"? What the heck? That's not reasonable at all.
stop saying i hate people. i don't. if i did i wouldn't be arguing with them about this problem. i wouldn't give it a moments thought.
so please stop twisting my words. never once did i say i hate a person. i hate the idea of religion. the idea that no good can come from with in a person unless they have god to help them...that is pure rubbish.
the idea that this land belongs to me because god said so
the idea that says no you can't get married because god says so

Road Warrior

i don't know
9/11, faith healings, the tension in the middle east
the tension between the catholics and the protestants in ireland, mother theresa equating birth control to abortion etc...

Do you really believe a book caused all of those events or can you see that it was certain people who made them happen?

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think the point is,

exactly, religion is another prop that substitutes the real deal as it creates an illusion.
why can't people be straightforward with their biases, instead of relying on the almighty to justify what they support.

i think we can get to the heart of the matter much more quickly if we didn't have to peel away the props.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Do you really believe a book caused all of those events or can you see that it was certain people who made them happen?
of course not....i think the following will give you a better idea of what i mean.
I think the point is,

exactly, religion is another prop that substitutes the real deal as it creates an illusion.
why can't people be straightforward with their biases, instead of relying on the almighty to justify what they support.

i think we can get to the heart of the matter much more quickly if we didn't have to peel away the props.

waitasec

Veteran Member
"mom, dad. i think i'm a lesbian"

"oh honey, satan has gotten hold of your thoughts, lets pray the gay away"

"mom, dad. i met a nice boy, we're getting married"

"thats wonderful, can't wait for the grandkids"

"mom, dad. i thought i did the right thing, i prayed for strength to fight the temptation for years and i never once betrayed my husband, but i think i'm a lesbian, what am i doing wrong?"

"oh honey, satan has gotten hold of your thoughts, lets pray the gay away"

Road Warrior

I agree with Waitasec, it reminds me of a brilliant quote...Science gives us airplanes, religion flies them into buildings.

Mao Zedong and Stalin were atheists. What caused them to murder millions of their own countrymen?

Sorry to disagree with you and your friend, but I don't believe blaming the Bible or Marx's "The Communist Manifesto" is an assignment of truthful blame. If so, then simply by burning all copies of the Bible and Marx's books would have solved all of the world's problems, right? If we banned religion, killed anyone who refuses to become an atheist, would the world suddenly become peaceful, prosperous and a scientific utopia? Of course not for the simple reason religion isn't the problem -- mankind is the problem regardless of religious or political beliefs. It's not the beliefs that matter but how those beliefs are used that determines whether there is peace or war in the world.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Mao Zedong and Stalin were atheists. What caused them to murder millions of their own countrymen?

this is exactly what i'm talking about...
you didn't have to peel any layers off to see what their agenda was...
it's something you can look at straightforwardly in the face and call it for what it is....religion is a cushion....it's absolutely unnecessary and an absolute waste of time to use as an excuse for bad behavior.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
it's absolutely unnecessary and an absolute waste of time to use as an excuse for bad behavior.
unnecessary for what?

Of course it's a waste of time to use as an excuse, because that's not what it's for. It's also a waste of time to cut down a tree with a herring.

Shermana

Heretic
Because it's random, arbitrary, inconsistent, unsubstantiated and logically incoherent.

And why is it inconsistent and logically incoherent specifically? Why is it arbitrary? As for "Random", that's not really a valid critical term, as for "unsubstantiated", what is substantiated exactly? What would make the view substantiated and consistent?

waitasec

Veteran Member
unnecessary for what?

Of course it's a waste of time to use as an excuse, because that's not what it's for. It's also a waste of time to cut down a tree with a herring.

the intention is meaningless to the discussion
it's what excuses are applied to IS what matters