• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Europe be Saved?

Primordial Annihilator

Europe does not need saving...the concerns are widely exaggerated...we will continue to get bigger and stronger....as long as the idiots are muted suitably.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I hope Europe can be saved - We're going to Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria in a few months...

Kathryn

Actually, I'm not that concerned with the EU, if you really want to know the truth. I just want to be able to travel there when I like and enjoy some of the ambience - and then be happy to get back home again to the American South.

Kathryn

But then, my husband and I are just Ugly Americans throwing our oil money around and expecting everyone to be able to speak English.

Primordial Annihilator

But then, my husband and I are just Ugly Americans throwing our oil money around and expecting everyone to be able to speak English.

Keep your money...we don't need it....or want it.

Most europeans do speak english as a second language...so you wil be alright...although it might be better if you pretend you are Canadian...many of the nations you mention are quite hostile to the US and her citizens.

Last edited:

Primordial Annihilator

Actually, I'm not that concerned with the EU, if you really want to know the truth. I just want to be able to travel there when I like and enjoy some of the ambience - and then be happy to get back home again to the American South.

Sure...don't worry europe has been around for 1000's of years and we will still be here when the US is a distant memory.

Kathryn

Keep your money...we don't need it....or want it.

Most europeans do speak english as a second language...so you wil be alright...although it might be better if you pretend you are Canadian...many of the nations you mention are quite hostile to the US and her citizens.

I'm very familiar with Europe - I lived there for three years. As an American, I feel quite comfortable traveling throughout Europe, and never have had a problem identifying myself as, not only an American, but also as a Texan.

As far as friendliness - I'd rank my experiences in Europe in about this order (with 1 being the most friendly):

1. The Czech Republic
2. Slovakia
3. Germany
4. Belgium
5. Poland
6. Holland
7. Switzerland
8. Austria
9. France

I haven't yet been to the UK (layovers don't count), but my husband has spent a lot of time in the UK and the Scandinavian countries, as well as most of the countries I've mentioned above, and he puts the countries in this order:

1. Scotland
2. Ireland
3. Holland
4. Denmark
5. Sweden
6. Portugal
7. Germany
8. France

Note that France is dead last with both of us - :cool:.

Most of my European friends speak more than two languages, and generally like the US in general, and the Americans they know in particular. I'm not at all worried about hostility.

And I have yet to meet an innkeeper or restaurant owner who didn't appreciate my American dollars. But don't worry - I doubt I'll be giving you any - unless you own a hotel, restaurant, gas station, museum, or rental car company.

Last edited:

Kathryn

In fact, we're going to be traveling in Europe extensively this summer - I CAN'T WAIT! Love to visit...and love to come back home. It's all good.

Primordial Annihilator

Glad to see you or your husband don't consider the British to be overly friendly.

We aint..especially towards septic tanks... ;)

No I don't own a hotel or a 'gas' station or even a museum.

But I if I did I wouldnt care where you were from..money is money.

I just dont want your american blood money in my nation... ;)

For political reasons... ;)

Kathryn

Well, we're going to central Europe this summer. The UK next summer. And we'll be spending the money my husband has earned in the oil and gas industry. Sorry if you find that offensive.

Primordial Annihilator

Well, we're going to central Europe this summer. The UK next summer. And we'll be spending the money my husband has earned in the oil and gas industry. Sorry if you find that offensive.

Extremely offensive as it goes...don't apologise though...you don't mean it ;)

You just spend your blood money like a good little consumer :cool:

Primordial Annihilator

Kathryn...make no mistake your nation is the most hated on earth...so as I said be careful.

Most British people I know have little love for america...and americans.

Kathryn

You're right - I don't mean it. I'm not ashamed of the work my husband does in the oilfield. In fact, I'm proud of him and his accomplishments. My husband has worked for oil companies who have built schools, power plants, roads, industries, etc in many third world countries which were much better off AFTER their involvement in the oil industry than they were beforehand. So I wouldn't call that "blood money."

He lived in Scotland for awhile working in the oilfield in the North Sea. Would you call that blood money?

He works in the Ark La Tex now in the oilfield. How is that blood money?

I think I'm a less judgmental person than you are - or so it seems to me. Though I wouldn't choose to live permanently in any part of Europe, I have a mind that's open enough to appreciate elements of European culture, though I prefer life in the United States. I don't feel some need to demonize whole groups of people based on their country's political agenda.

I prefer to focus on the positives of other cultures. But hey, that's just me. I guess I've been raised that way, since I'm from a family which has lived in Europe and Asia and all over the US. I learned as a child to appreciate the differences rather than to ridicule them.

Primordial Annihilator

You're right - I don't mean it. I'm not ashamed of the work my husband does in the oilfield. In fact, I'm proud of him and his accomplishments. My husband has worked for oil companies who have built schools, power plants, roads, industries, etc in many third world countries which were much better off AFTER their involvement in the oil industry than they were beforehand. So I wouldn't call that "blood money."

He lived in Scotland for awhile working in the oilfield in the North Sea. Would you call that blood money?

He works in the Ark La Tex now in the oilfield. How is that blood money?

I think I'm a less judgmental person than you are - or so it seems to me. Though I wouldn't choose to live permanently in any part of Europe, I have a mind that's open enough to appreciate elements of European culture, though I prefer life in the United States. I don't feel some need to demonize whole groups of people based on their country's political agenda.

I prefer to focus on the positives of other cultures. But hey, that's just me. I guess I've been raised that way, since I'm from a family which has lived in Europe and Asia and all over the US. I learned as a child to appreciate the differences rather than to ridicule them.

To be fair I may have let my personal hatred of the United States colour my thinking.

It doesnt sound as if your husband is involved in evil oil...but oil use itself is criminal...it is destroying our world...and america leads the way in ecological vandalism.

I have also lived around the world...not the states...I wouldn't set foot there unless I was part of an expeditionary army.

Anyway...good luck.