• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can you remember being born?? i do

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What is the oldest religion that we know of? I ask this because all other religions would have something in common...the common ground would be worth discussing. Isnt it hinduism?

Yes, I would say of the current world religions Hinduism is certainly the oldest. If they all have anything in common it would be brotherly love for all.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Yes, I would say of the current world religions Hinduism is certainly the oldest. If they all have anything in common it would be brotherly love for all.

Brotherly love for brothers, from what I see. Exclusivism is the fundamental trait of most world religions.

ladybug77

Brotherly love for brothers, from what I see. Exclusivism is the fundamental trait of most world religions.

Ok...no. hinduism actually believes : there is no religion that teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all Genuine paths are facets of God's light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

So the oldest know religion...and it believes there is not just one way. :)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Ok...no. hinduism actually believes : there is no religion that teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all Genuine paths are facets of God's light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

So the oldest know religion...and it believes there is not just one way. :)

Hinduism is not the world's religion. It is a world religion.

It's also not the world's oldest religion. We have evidence of animistic religious practice long before written word.

ladybug77

Hinduism is not the world's religion. It is a world religion.

It's also not the world's oldest religion. We have evidence of animistic religious practice long before written word.

Re-read...no one claimed it to be THE world's religion. We stated it was a world religion. And its the oldest written word that we know of. As for this 'animistic' religious practices...

an·i·mism***(n-mzm)n.
1.*The belief in the existence of individual spirits that inhabit natural objects and phenomena.
2.*The belief in the existence of spiritual beings that are separable or separate from bodies.
3.*The hypothesis holding that an immaterial force animates the universe

Woah! So even older stuff...STILL acknowledging the presence of 'spirits'...'beings'...and what is this?? A 'hypothesis' science! That states an immaterial...(non-physical) force animates the universe. Now what were we debating? Im covienenced...im aware i exist...im a spirit inhabiting a body. Im a conscience being...beyond reason. :)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Re-read...no one claimed it to be THE world's religion. We stated it was a world religion. And its the oldest written word that we know of. As for this 'animistic' religious practices...

an·i·mism***(n-mzm)n.
1.*The belief in the existence of individual spirits that inhabit natural objects and phenomena.
2.*The belief in the existence of spiritual beings that are separable or separate from bodies.
3.*The hypothesis holding that an immaterial force animates the universe

Woah! So even older stuff...STILL acknowledging the presence of 'spirits'...'beings'...and what is this?? A 'hypothesis' science! That states an immaterial...(non-physical) force animates the universe. Now what were we debating? Im covienenced...im aware i exist...im a spirit inhabiting a body. Im a conscience being...beyond reason. :)

Okay then...:areyoucra

F0uad

I once had a experience were i felt that i was outside of my body looking down on myself, i saw the back of my body and my head it just lasted for a couple of seconds and then came back into my body. It was strange and i didn't tell anybody until now.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I once had a experience were i felt that i was outside of my body looking down on myself, i saw the back of my body and my head it just lasted for a couple of seconds and then came back into my body. It was strange and i didn't tell anybody until now.

It happens.

George-ananda

Premium Member
It happens.

It happens but what do you think it means?

Most on RF seem to want to explain it away as a brain glitch of some sort. If that's the case it does seem odd to me that for so many these type of events seem to be stand-out moments in their lives with coherent memories.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Most on RF seem to want to explain it away as a brain glitch of some sort. If that's the case it does seem odd to me that for so many these type of events seem to be stand-out moments in their lives with coherent memories.

It can very well be a brain glitch.

I think people underestimate and overestimate the brain. Everyone has these moments, some of us remember them more than others.

My mother for instance suffered from sleep paralysis (if that is correct) as a child growing up in Haiti, there it was described as a demon attacking.

I have at points hallucinated *while under no psychoactive drug* an insect crawling across my hand and burrowing into my skin.

There are people who can "taste colors" and "see sounds" or associates numbers with colors.

People who hear voices, people whose personalities are split. There was a rumor I heard of a guy who one side of his brain believed in God and the other half didn't.

But I'm not one to jump quick to saying that things are related to the supernatural when the wonders of the natural are still being discovered.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I have at points hallucinated *while under no psychoactive drug* an insect crawling across my hand and burrowing into my skin.

The difference I'm pointing out is that you are now aware it was a hallucination yourself in the clear light of day. The OP and others positively don't believe it was a hallucination. Why that difference?

FranklinMichaelV.3

The difference I'm pointing out is that you are now aware it was a hallucination yourself in the clear light of day. The OP and others positively don't believe it was a hallucination. Why that difference?

Because our brains are different :D

That's part of the wonder. No two brains are going to be exactly alike :D

ladybug77

It doesn't make us the same. We are all different, some more so than others :).

Technically, we are both correct. We are the same. And yet we are unique.

We are the same because we are all aware we exist. We are different in terms of how we branch out from our SAME awareness. The root is the same. The branches are different.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Because our brains are different

Or it's because they had a very different 'type' of experience than you did.

There are people that have had both types of experiences and they definitely see them as not the same at all.

What is your opinion of reports from serious scientific researchers that people sometimes remember verifiable real-world details during these experiences that they could not have learned through normal channels (i.e. seeing events at which they were not present and knowing even odd details)?

F0uad

This was not a brain-glitch i found myself floating outside my body and seeing what was happening, i was like 2 or 3 meters outside of my body. :D

ladybug77

This was not a brain-glitch i found myself floating outside my body and seeing what was happening, i was like 2 or 3 meters outside of my body. :D

Thanks for sharing. :) alot of people have similiar experiences like this. I was scared to share it at first...but knew some would benefit, and some would think me crazy. Its the benefit that counts.

I believe in Mayan Astrology which is very helpful for future prediction.Mayan astrology has started regaining its popularity, obviously following the much rumored ‘End of World’. Nothing happened but that didn’t drown their interest in Mayan sun signs. The Mayan calender system is a finite one covering a particular time which allows the users determine the actual start and completing duration of a month, year, century or even a millennium. This ancient calendar appears like the popular modern day calendar used globally. This calendar deliberates on three periods of time. It should be better imagined as three different dials on a watch, each of which features a particular time range.

***staff edit***

Last edited by a moderator: