• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

can you remember being born?? i do

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I remember being 1 or 2 and that I used to sit under the piano we had when I was that age. I remember my dad playing a certain Beethoven song and the lady across the hall from us who gave me cookies, while the lady downstairs gave me chocolate. I think I remember a bit what our apartment looked like. In general, it's more accurate to say that I have feelings from that age rather than specific memories. There's a familiarity that I feel that feels very comfortable. We moved from that location by the time I was 3 so, I know for a fact that these memories must have occurred at or before 2 years old.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In which case you pick the explanation not filled with superfluous requirements.

They are not superfluous unless you want to sweep a lot under the rug. The simple explanation would rule if there were only random dissimilar cases and there was no patterns and themes in phenomena colloquially called 'paranormal'. As it stands (and yes, in my opinion), a more complex view of the universe is required with additional features being necessary (not superfluous).

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
They are not superfluous unless you want to sweep a lot under the rug. The simple explanation would rule if there were only random dissimilar cases and there was no patterns and themes in phenomena colloquially called 'paranormal'. As it stands (and yes, in my opinion), a more complex view of the universe is required with additional features being necessary (not superfluous).
Put it this way: you're in Central Park at night and you hear the clip-clop of hooves. You were warned as you entered the park for your nightly walk that a horse had broken free of its carriage and has yet to be located.

Your knowledge of a vast world full of zebras, donkeys, and the recently extinct quaggas doesn't make it any less likely to be said horse.

In short, regardless of your superfluous leanings, the most succinct solution doesn't require them.

Awoon

Its the first memory i can remember...except...i was only a spirit. I remember all the sudden being consciously aware of my being...and didnt know where i was. I immediately looked down at my 'hands'...and when i realized i didnt have a body...and i just simply WAS...i thought...o boy...im on earth...this outta be interesting. So i observed the room...to this day i can describe it in detail to my mother...who initially was dumbfounded the first time i mentioned my memory...its very accurate...and very real. I told myself it was a good idea to look out the window...and memorize something...sketch it in my mind...so i would have conformation later or something...so i memorized the opposing windows architecture. Lol. The design of the bricks...i then thought i should search for a clock on the wall....i wanted to make sure i remembered what time i was there apparently...2:45pm. (I was born at 3:12 pm i later found out) I finally was 100% sure i was witnessing my mother in a hospital room when i hovered to the ceiling to get a full-on view. And then.....blackness....followed by what seemed to be a fast moving tunnel of light....and i was calmly inside for the ride....moving at what seemed very high speeds...hard to describe it really...but i passed a few images towards the end of the tunnle...like it slowed down just enough for me to make out a man turning the knob on a 50s style tv console...(i have no idea about that one to this day...but. lol.) That was it...thats all i remember...my next memory wasnt until 1 1/2 or so...so im wondering if anyone can relate? And please...if your going to be rude...take it somewhere else...i seriously experienced this...i believe its 100% true so my 'religion' was formed by the fact that i am a spirit...i dont classify my beliefs into one 'religion'...but ive cut and pasted what fit the facts i new...and what branched out of those facts. Im im happy with it so far...so dont bring me down. :) thank you...and sorry if that was long winded. Input please and thank you.

Great !! Can anyone remember not being alive?

ladybug77

Not sure where you're headed with the question but, no it hasn't.

Because science cant prove the existence of a soul/spirit (whatever you may call it...'conscience')...but do the respondants of this thread believe THEY THEMSELVES have a 'soul'? Most people believe they have a soul....even if science cant prove it. So....i cant prove my experience as 'real' to them...and they cant prove it fictional either. Its a choose...its free will. (Which is conveniently ironic) ...ha! What does your own conscience want to believe? Maybe the question is not: 'did ladybug77 really experience this or not?' (Which i did btw) ...but instead: 'is it POSSIBLE that her experience is POSSIBLE? can a soul/spirit...have conscienceness without a brain or body??

George-ananda

Premium Member
Put it this way: you're in Central Park at night and you hear the clip-clop of hooves. You were warned as you entered the park for your nightly walk that a horse had broken free of its carriage and has yet to be located.

Your knowledge of a vast world full of zebras, donkeys, and the recently extinct quaggas doesn't make it any less likely to be said horse.

In short, regardless of your superfluous leanings, the most succinct solution doesn't require them.

In the above scenario I would think it very, very likely to be a horse.

In this OP situation I'm in a place where I know horses and zebras both exist. I hear clip-clop, as I don't have enough information, I would believe it could be a horse or a zebra for all I know.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
In the above scenario I would think it very, very likely to be a horse.

In this OP situation I'm in a place where I know horses and zebras both exist. I hear clip-clop, as I don't have enough information, I would believe it could be a horse or a zebra for all I know.
And, given the scenario, you choose the one that validates your hypotheses instead of the well-documented theories related to false memories.

Certainly no agenda there.

George-ananda

Premium Member
And, given the scenario, you choose the one that validates your hypotheses instead of the well-documented theories related to false memories.

I guess you must not actually read my posts. I said both are possible.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Again, my first "memories" don't seem like "memories" per se. There is no self-consciousness involved and the "memory" is more like an odd three dimensional snapshot.
I am open to the idea that my earliest memory may be created, however...

My parents were building the new family home in the spring of 1956 and I was often put outside under the huge cherry tree in my stroller. I was safe and out of the way and blocked from direct sunlight. Sort of a win-win location, as it were. Close enough but out of harms way. That leads me to my first "memory" which is a odd snapshot. There is no sound, only an image and I'm not even aware there is an "I" looking at it. That first image is looking up into a massive cherry tree in full bloom. Given the time frame that pegs this "memory" to approximately 6-8 weeks... after birth... but no, no memories of birth - although there was the largest solar flare in history, up to that point, to herald my arrival. :)

The great solar flare of february 23, 1956

Given that it is a fact that I spent the first few weeks of my life lying contentedly under that cherry tree, the memory isn't so crazy.

ladybug77

Why are you so sure its a 'false memory'...what if its a 'true impression'? Why must someone provide inevitable proof before you dismiss or accept the claim? Dismissing it as false from the beginning seems foolish...all research or proof to back up the claim haults...and is never given second thought. You must realize...it is POSSIBLE. that what i say is true. When there are no answers...there are possibilities. And i love how noone acknowledges the fact about the window...there was no photograph of the hospital in existence for me to look at as a child...and yet i drew a picture of it, handed it to my mom, shared my 'memory' with her...and then we used a school computer to search the net...and it matched! You dont know me personally...and i can see why you have doubt...i can only assure you i didnt join this forum to spread lies, hate and fear. We are all here looking for answers! No? If we were content in our beliefs...there would be no need to discuss anything at all.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The other is basically that it was a real spiritual experience.

Let me rephrase- Even if we limit ourselves to other possible paranormal explanations, we're still left with things like ESP, being a medium, and plenty of other paranormal explanations for the memory that have nothing to do with actually remembering one's birth. If you are opting for other possible explanations of the paranormal variety, it seems strange to throw out so many.

ladybug77

Let me rephrase- Even if we limit ourselves to other possible paranormal explanations, we're still left with things like ESP, being a medium, and plenty of other paranormal explanations for the memory that have nothing to do with actually remembering one's birth. If you are opting for other possible explanations of the paranormal variety, it seems strange to throw out so many.

Im all for explainations...but to simply say its not true, or possible at all...explains nothing.

George-ananda

Premium Member

I understand your point if I was speaking strictly as a 'parapsychologist'; just working with paranormal evidence.

However, in my case I also come to accept the basic framework of the universe given in the teachings of the masters/rishis/sages/seers/whatevers of eastern (Indian) traditions. I use this worldview in my consideration.

ladybug77

I understand your point if I was speaking strictly as a 'parapsychologist'; just working with paranormal evidence.

However, in my case I also come to accept the basic framework of the universe given in the teachings of the masters/rishis/sages/seers/whatevers of eastern (Indian) traditions. I use this worldview in my consideration.

What is the oldest religion that we know of? I ask this because all other religions would have something in common...the common ground would be worth discussing. Isnt it hinduism?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is the oldest religion that we know of?

In writing, forms of animism and deities that embodied natural processes and objects like the sun, rain, lightening, etc. Before that, we have special burials, red ochre, and other indications of religion or spirituality going back tens of thousands of years.