• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinal Pell and Evolution

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
OK, so someone stated that Matthew and Luke differ significantly about the date of Jesus' birth. This I think is ridiculous because the "error" is two years AT MOST from what I can tell. And that's ambiguous.
You did your math wrong. Luke has it in 6 CE or if you prefer 6AD. Matthew has it in 4 BC. That is at least ten years. It could be more. Judea was under Herod in Matthew. In Luke Herod had died ten years ago and was replaced by his son who after ten years had screwed up things so badly that Rome stepped in and took over. Ten years and three different rulers, Herod, Archelaus, and Quirinius, is very significant.

Audie

Veteran Member
You can disagree all you want but it will still be there.

Your God condones slavery and genocide in the Bible. Among other horrible things. This same god also brutally murdered everyone on earth except for 8 people. Women, children, babies, animals, all of 'em.
And who did Satan ever bother

Your God condones slavery and genocide in the Bible. Among other horrible things. This same god also brutally murdered everyone on earth except for 8 people. Women, children, babies, animals, all of 'em.
Everyone who accepts mandatory taxation, condones slavery.

And murder is unlawful killing. God has given life, so He has also right to decide how long life He gives and it is not murder then, because He has the right.

Even if people would be good, I think God would have right to give only a short life. But, He has promised eternal life for those who are righteous. I think it is nice and I don't see any good reason why God should allow evil to continue forever.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

And murder is unlawful killing. God has given life, so He has also right to decide how long life He gives and it is not murder then, because He has the right.

Even if people would be good, I think God would have right to give only a short life. But, He has promised eternal life for those who are righteous. I think it is nice and I don't see any good reason why God should allow evil to continue forever.
No, that is not slavery, and even Jesus knew this. "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and of course Roman's 13 show you to be wrong in a biblical sense.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Nope.

That ain't chattel slavery. What's described in the Bible is chattel slavery where human beings are owned as property. And it's immoral.

Unless god commands you to do it, then it's a-ok. In other words, your morality depends on the whim of some god, depending on what kind of mood it's in today.

Genocide is immoral. The god of the Bible commands it of his people.
Even if people would be good, I think God would have right to give only a short life. But, He has promised eternal life for those who are righteous.
This also sounds horrible.

He supposedly promised eternal life for those who believe and worship and praise him endlessly. Which is also horrible.
I think it is nice and I don't see any good reason why God should allow evil to continue forever.
He probably should have thought of that before he created it, dont'cha think?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Even Jesus said pay your taxes.
Slavery is another person having control over you and involuntary servitude. Such as, the state and federal do not own inmates but the 13th amendment allows for slavery as a legally prescribed punishment, leading to today's situation of an America that still depends on slave labor.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That is a very unChristian viewpoint as not taxing would grind everything to a halt, including taking care of those in need. Charity alone has NEVER worked, thus your position is in reality selfish and self-centered.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The largest protestant sects, such as Southern Baptists, do have a problem with evolutiom.
Surprisingly this is not true. The Southern Baptists, as a whole, have no official dogmatic position on abortion. Now many individual churches will oppose it. But overall 37% of their members accept some form of evolution:

That is a very unChristian viewpoint as not taxing would grind everything to a halt, including taking care of those in need. Charity alone has NEVER worked, thus your position is in reality selfish and self-centered.
Sorry, I disagree with that. I think it is extremely selfish and self-centered to demand others pay taxes.

Merely having a societal obligation is not being owned as property. Slavery is being owned by someone as property.
Essentially the situation is the same. If person must work for someone else, he is owned.