• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christ is not some "hippy"

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Oh! So that's what he meant when he said, "Judge not lest ye be judged"
No, that's what He meant when He said, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Matthew 7:1-2 KJV

That's what it means to not judge hypocritically.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'd like to know what the Hebrew word is here that gets translated into "fear" and whether it means the same thing as "fear" does in modern English.
Let's start with which English definition of fear you want to use (From Merriam-Webster online):
transitive verb
1archaic : frighten
2archaic : to feel fear in (oneself)
3: to have a reverential awe of <fear God>
4: to be afraid of : expect with alarm <fear the worst>
intransitive verb: to be afraid or apprehensive <feared for their lives>

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I don't see why I should worship a god who should be feared either. If I should be afraid of God, then why should I kneel before him? IMO, it's better to stand against fear and not cower.

While I do not know the original word, I do know it is closer to meaning "respect" than "fear." If the translation was more accurate, it certainly would make the OT God seem more friendly. Not much friendlier, but when you have that much blood on your hands, any start is a good one.
I think that your answers most typically point out what the OP is trying to show. God has many more aspects that need to be considered than the flat, one-dimensional aspect that many want to find acceptable. Personally I don't understand why people want to accept such a shallow and flimsy diety as you are trying to describe.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Let's start with which English definition of fear you want to use (From Merriam-Webster online):
transitive verb
1archaic : frighten
2archaic : to feel fear in (oneself)
3: to have a reverential awe of <fear God>
4: to be afraid of : expect with alarm <fear the worst>
intransitive verb: to be afraid or apprehensive <feared for their lives>
My POINT was that the scripture was originally written in Hebrew and that the English word "fear" may not be an accurate translation. It may, or it may not. I don't know. I do know that "day" as in "six days of creation" is a misleading translation, and there are others.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
My POINT was that the scripture was originally written in Hebrew and that the English word "fear" may not be an accurate translation. It may, or it may not. I don't know. I do know that "day" as in "six days of creation" is a misleading translation, and there are others.
And my point, other than to ignore the hidden agenda you have, was to answer your question. You failed to answer mine, which is thew start of answering yours. I believe this to be because you didn't really want , or expect, a clear answer.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
And my point, other than to ignore the hidden agenda you have, was to answer your question.
Hidden agenda? lol. I recognize that the bible as we know it was written in several different languages at different times and that the books that were canonized got in via a committee of men. It's been translated into English (and numerous other languages) and that with translation there is always a certain amount of error, more or less depending on the skill of the translator. And that some people either do not know this or ignore it and take the King James version of the bible as the word of God, inerrant, given to them by the Almighty Himself. And that is either sad (if they don't know the bible's history) or laughable (if they know and choose to ignore). No hidden agenda. Out in the open. I believe in knowledge. How about you?

You failed to answer mine, which is thew start of answering yours. I believe this to be because you didn't really want , or expect, a clear answer.
Dude, before you go around throwing out accusations of me not answering your question, you might want to ask one in the first place. All you did was quote from an English dictionary, which completely ignored my point.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
No, that's what He meant when He said, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." Matthew 7:1-2 KJV

That's what it means to not judge hypocritically.

Call me crazy but I always thought it meant what it says.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
He says he is a sword that causes arguments against familys. Not to take up arms or destroy them. They are told to leave those that don't accept them and mark there citys and there citys will not be forgiven by him. They are told to die in his name is better than go against his teachings.

The rest of his gospels even Marks teach of peace and love. So he is a sword a sword that in the end will defeat evil and he is a sword the cleaves through and seperates us from family and friends that are evil. He is the sword of justice not us. When he returns justice will be handed out.

Is this your point.

crystalonyx

I think the view of Christianity as to be "loving and non-judgmental" misses the point.

Christ said he came not to bring peace on earth but a sword. Matt. 10

The reason is because Christianity would be the vehicle to convert the world to God; before the final Judgment.

So - that conversion would pit people against each other, families, friends everyone. Christ knew this.

He didn't come to bring peace, he came to judge those who were wrong; and to convert those who were right and to therefore fulfill the next to last chapter of God's plan.

Which is, of course, why Christianity, and other evangelical religions, are dangerous.