• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Evolutionist:

Heneni

Miss Independent
all nine archaeopteryx are fauds?
***?

No archy is a composite.. they are beautifully preserved on single slabs. Clearly someone has never looked at archy.

wa:do

Have you got an answer to my question...how come if humans have been evolving for so many years...and appeared on earth millions of years ago..have we not advanced technologically FAR beyond what we have now? Why have most of the adances in technology only happened in the last six thousand years or so?

Heneni

Miss Independent
BILLIONS of intermediatery fossils...

Give me a break autodidact. I think your the one that is lying.

Heneni

Heneni

Miss Independent
We know this happens, Heneni, because we've observed it happening. Not so much in fish (although it has been seen in Lake Victoria) but with faster reproducing creatures such as fruit flies. So we know that new species can evolve from existing species. Are you O.K. with that?

Oh glory days...tell me about the fruit flies....

EDIT...and how many 'we's'' is in your 'we'.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Oh yay, here it comes....

"But they're still fruit flies!!" Completely ignorant of the fact that "fruit fly" is a genus that includes almost 100 different species.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So that's part 1. Please ask me if you have any problems or questions. And also ask me if you need references, and I will be happy to provide.

2. How we get whole new branches to the tree of life.

As you can see, new species always evolve very gradually, almost imperceptibly. It's only species that emerge, never a sudden big change like sprouting a wing or anything.

We did 5000 years. Now project another 5000 years. Now you've got another new species or two, Littlefishius thuggius and so forth. One is an inch long, etc. etc. One gives birth to live young, etc., but they're still pretty similar. Now go 500,000 years. You've had a million generations. You've got like ten different species. By this time the original Littlefishius heneni is extinct. (Most species go extinct. 99% of all species ever have gone extinct.) One of your groups that branched off from Group B, call it Group B(1), is 6" long, bears live young, is orange with a single black spot, and eats other smaller fish, and some other stuff. At this point, Biologists say, "Hold everything. This is more different than just a new species. At this point, I think we better call it a new genus. Let's call it Mediumfishius cutieus.

So that's how we get new species and new genii. They always branch off from existing species. They never emerge as a huge break from anything. Everything's very gradual. You never really see the difference, but gradually new species, genii, families, emerge this way, each one branching off of an existing species. By the time we see the new species, most of its ancestral species are extinct.

Do you understand all this? Have any problem with it?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Have you got an answer to my question...how come if humans have been evolving for so many years...and appeared on earth millions of years ago..have we not advanced technologically FAR beyond what we have now? Why have most of the adances in technology only happened in the last six thousand years or so?

This is not a question about evolution. In any case, humans have not been on earth in our present form for millions of years. Like most of your assertions, it's just mistaken.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
any idea how much damage the Dark ages did to human progression?
Not to mention the various plangues, wars and so on.
And besides what does our technology have to do with our biology?
and we as a species have only been here 200,000 years not millions. How many times do you need to be told this?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Heneni

I don't lie. Every fossil is intermediate, as you would understand if you understood ToE. And we now have literally billions of fossils. There are billions of fossils in the Karoo formation alone (read more here) and every one of them is transitional.

If you question anything I say, just ask for a cite, and I'll explain and support it.

Heneni

Miss Independent
This is not a question about evolution. In any case, humans have not been on earth in our present form for millions of years. Like most of your assertions, it's just mistaken.

No...it means you dont have an answer. Thank you very much.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

EDIT...and how many 'we's'' is in your 'we'.

Fruit flies reproduce quickly; quickly enough that we can actually see and count new species.* Here are some reports of speciation actually happening with fruit flies. Scroll down to # 5. What did you want to know exactly?

(This happens even faster with bacteria, but creationists never worry about anything microscopic.)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Every fossil is an intermediate form. Here's an analogy (brought to you by Google Maps):

Q. How do you drive from Paris to Rome?
A. Through Geneva.
Q. But Geneva's a long way from either one.
A. Okay, on the way to Geneva, you go through Chalon-sur-Saone. Between Geneva and Rome, you go through Parma.
Q. But that still doesn't tell me how to get from one to the other. It's a long way from Parma to Rome.
A. All right. After Parma, go through Modena, Bologna, Firenze and Arezzo.
Q. Parma to Medina! They aren't close to each other!
A. In between, you go through Reggio nell'Emilia.
Q. Reggio nell'Emilia! That's still like 20 km from Medina. You don't know the way from Paris to Rome at all!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
No...it means you dont have an answer. Thank you very much.

Stop talking for a moment and think really hard. Follow along:
Heneni: If A is the case, why B?
Autodidact: A is not the case.
Heneni: I see you don't have an answer to my question.
Autodidact: :banghead:

Heneni

Miss Independent
Fruit flies reproduce quickly; quickly enough that we can actually see and count new species.* Here are some reports of speciation actually happening with fruit flies. Scroll down to # 5. What did you want to know exactly?

(This happens even faster with bacteria, but creationists never worry about anything microscopic.)

Ok...lets do the fruit fly thing.

Where were these experiments on the fruit flies conducted?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Where were these experiments on the fruit flies conducted?
In labs all over the world.
Fruit Flies are 'model organisms' this means that just about every biologist, geneticist even doctors have done some work with them. They are very easy to use.
I'll likely be experimenting with Fruit Flies in a few months.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Stop talking for a moment and think really hard. Follow along:
Heneni: If A is the case, why B?
Autodidact: A is not the case.
Heneni: I see you don't have an answer to my question.
Autodidact: :banghead:

You still dont know do you? Shall we just say...that unless you can tell me, WHAT evolution predicts we will evolve into and why we have only advanced technologically for the last 6000 years or so if we have been on this earth for a VERY long time....you dont really have anything i want to hear. Im sure you can answer that easily right. So give me the answer and lets move on swiftly to the fruit flies.

Heneni

Heneni

Miss Independent
In labs all over the world.
Fruit Flies are 'model organisms' this means that just about every biologist, geneticist even doctors have done some work with them. They are very easy to use.
I'll likely be experimenting with Fruit Flies in a few months.

In labs. Ok...next question....what were the conditions in the labs?

Heneni

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
WHAT evolution predicts we will evolve into and why we have only advanced technologically for the last 6000 years or so if we have been on this earth for a VERY long time....

Evolution is a slow process for lifeforms that have long lifespans. For humans which live to be 80 years old, it takes a long time to evolve. For fruit flies who live a matter of hours or days, the evolution happens much quicker. Human-like animals have been in existence for over 50,000 years. We've been relatively static for a lot longer than 6,000 years. That doesn't mean we're not evolving. It just means we're doing it relatively slowly.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
The problem is, Heneni isn't asking her questions because she's genuinely interested in the answer, and learning something about a subject in which she's woefully ignorant; she's asking her questions in hopes of "stumping the evolutionist".

IOW, she approaches data and information regarding biological evolution as a defense attorney approaches evidence against his client.