• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church Will Not Hold Gay Service

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
It is not merely the fact that he was a sinner - we are all sinners. This person was openly living a sinful, UNREPENTANT lifestyle. Even that said, the church most likely would have done the funeral if it had been allowed to do it in a respectful manner, not celebrating the person's lifestyle. Just as it would not have wanted to celebrate someone's unrepentant lifestyle of drunkenness, or a gambling addition.

I am through arguing this as my stand here is firm. The bottom line here is that I am sick and tired of churches being demonized for standing up for their beliefs. Again - who is being intolerant here? Who is doing the name calling? Who REALLY is acting bigoted?

So, if someone was an alcoholic, or addicted to gambling, if a church were to hold a funeral they would treat the family the same way if they wanted to show pictures of the deceased at a bar with friends, or on vacation in Las Vegas, right? After all, that would be celebrating their sinful lifestyle as well, right?

Besides, I'm still waiting to see exactly what was in the video that "glorifies" anything. And, the point is that they already agreed to do the funeral, and went back on their word.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
So, if someone was an alcoholic, or addicted to gambling, if a church were to hold a funeral they would treat the family the same way if they wanted to show pictures of the deceased at a bar with friends, or on vacation in Las Vegas, right? After all, that would be celebrating their sinful lifestyle as well, right?

Besides, I'm still waiting to see exactly what was in the video that "glorifies" anything. And, the point is that they already agreed to do the funeral, and went back on their word.
Would you rather they do it and fake there acceptance?

I don't agree with what they did but I very much doubt they would have agreed to it if they know all that was involved.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Would you rather they do it and fake there acceptance?

I don't agree with what they did but I very much doubt they would have agreed to it if they know all that was involved.

I'm not asking the church to accept anything. They should have been more careful to figure out what was involved before they said yes. Most of what I read said that the church knew the deceased was gay before they agreed to do the funeral. So, the issue is mainly that they went back on their word for some unclear reason.

Why does the church even have to mention being gay at the funeral? What's wrong with simply having a funeral service for a man who had a family who loves him, and not having the priest get up and say something about him being gay? It isn't as if the people who attend the church normally were even invited to the funeral, so who is it hurting to do the funeral? By doing the funeral, is the church somehow admitting that they accept gay people? If they do a funeral for someone with an addiction, does that mean that the church accepts things like drug addiction as OK and not a sin?

If a church has a funeral for an alcoholic, wouldn't it be rude for the priest to get up and talk negatively about that? Why does it even have to be brought up at all?

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm sure...

I'd much rather things surface, then not.

I don't have the luxury of time to have them fake it so long.

Say it how it is!

What I mean is they could go ahead with the funeral and the pastors can nevertheless reassure the church that they indeed really hate gays.

Quiddity

I'm not asking the church to accept anything. They should have been more careful to figure out what was involved before they said yes. Most of what I read said that the church knew the deceased was gay before they agreed to do the funeral. So, the issue is mainly that they went back on their word for some unclear reason.
If this is the case what's up with everybody calling them names?

So the issue is that they didn't want to play the video?
Why does the church even have to mention being gay at the funeral? What's wrong with simply having a funeral service for a man who had a family who loves him, and not having the priest get up and say something about him being gay?
Well first off, it wasn't a priest. Second, I agree, that there is no need to mention sexuality.
It isn't as if the people who attend the church normally were even invited to the funeral, so who is it hurting to do the funeral? By doing the funeral, is the church somehow admitting that they accept gay people? If they do a funeral for someone with an addiction, does that mean that the church accepts things like drug addiction as OK and not a sin?

If a church has a funeral for an alcoholic, wouldn't it be rude for the priest to get up and talk negatively about that? Why does it even have to be brought up at all?
Yes it would. I'd personally feel uncomfortable if they started spouting any sin of the deceased.

A

angellous_evangellous

*cough cough* hypocrisy....

How so? Even hate has its limits.

EXAMPLE:

Although no homosexuals are welcome to attend any of our services because they are obviously going to hell, we allowed one of these sinners to have their funeral here undisturbed by us. We mistakenly agreed to host the funeral but felt it would be inappropriate, rude, and inhuman to disturb a grieving family in hopes that some of the striaght members would remember that our church reached out to them in time of need. Actually, we won't forget that we are self-centered and egocentric, so we won't be doing this in the future. If you feel that we didn't hate them enough, don't forget to remind the next gay person that you see that they are hellbound.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
If this is the case what's up with everybody calling them names?

So the issue is that they didn't want to play the video?

It's pretty unclear exactly why they changed their minds. Some people are saying it's because the video was inappropriate (though there's no word on how exactly), and others are saying it's something else.

And, people are probably throwing words around because homosexuality is a hot button issue. You'll notice, however, that I did not.

Well first off, it wasn't a priest. Second, I agree, that there is no need to mention sexuality.

I'm not really up on all the different names Protestants use for their clergy. I was raised Catholic, so all clergy is a priest to me.

Quiddity

It's pretty unclear exactly why they changed their minds. Some people are saying it's because the video was inappropriate (though there's no word on how exactly), and others are saying it's something else.

And, people are probably throwing words around because homosexuality is a hot button issue. You'll notice, however, that I did not.
Well, people seem pretty comfortable jumping to conclusions and begin the name calling...:shrug:
I'm not really up on all the different names Protestants use for their clergy. I was raised Catholic, so all clergy is a priest to me.
That's ok. Protestants usually prefer the term "pastor".

A

angellous_evangellous

It's pretty unclear exactly why they changed their minds.

Not according to the report. If it's correct, the family offered to remove or change the video or otherwise work something out. The church refused to negotiate, citing homosexuality. If it's the video or the speaker, they can be changed. Homsexuality can't.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Not according to the report. If it's correct, the family offered to remove or change the video or otherwise work something out. The church refused to negotiate, citing homosexuality. If it's the video or the speaker, they can be changed. Homsexuality can't.

That doesn't make any sense though. Why agree to do it in the first place if homosexuality is the issue?

And, even that is the issue it still doesn't make any sense. I certainly hope that church won't be having a funeral for anyone else who sins on a regular basis.

A

angellous_evangellous

That doesn't make any sense though. Why agree to do it in the first place if homosexuality is the issue?

They were idiots and didn't think about it, stupidly assuming that everyone is just like them.

And, even that is the issue it still doesn't make any sense. I certainly hope that church won't be having a funeral for anyone else who sins on a regular basis.

I wouldn't put it past them... which is one of the reasons why they are in the news. People need to know about this as a public service.

Smoke

Done here.
Just because a church refuses to compromise their position of not condoning homosexuality does not make them bigoted freaks.
Their position makes them bigots; being bigoted because they think God told them to be makes them freaks.

Regardless of what they may think about homosexuality, I'm pretty sure there's no scripture forbidding the faithful to bury a queer, to be kind to his survivors, or to keep your word once you've given it.

Quiddity

Their position makes them bigots; being bigoted because they think God told them to be makes them freaks.

Regardless of what they may think about homosexuality, I'm pretty sure there's no scripture forbidding the faithful to bury a queer, to be kind to his survivors, or to keep your word once you've given it.
Not if they were unaware of what they were agreeing to. If burying him included video clips and they knew it, I agree. But if they weren't aware of the video until much later then all bets are off.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

i thought that the term Queer was offensive to you guys.

Queer -
adj. queer·er, queer·est

1. Deviating from the expected or normal; strange: a queer situation.
  2. Odd or unconventional, as in behavior; eccentric. See Synonyms at strange.
  3. Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
  4. Slang Fake; counterfeit.
  5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy.
  6. Offensive Slang Homosexual.
or did something change about the english language?
why do homosexuals use the term Queer?
it's apparently not a good word especially when you want people to accept your lifestyle....
cause the term in itself aside from homosexual remarks is a word that describes things as being wrong.