• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused christians

BBTimeless

That's the point... The writings that encompass a religion are exactly that, a persons perception of the world, written on paper. When it was written down, it became literal.. And I use the term literal in a literary sense. Just because it's in a book, doesn't make it true. I've had christians ask me if I believe everything I read, to which I answer "You obviously do".
Just because someone is a Christian does not mean that they take everything in the Bible literally.

Just because someone is a Christian does not mean that they take everything in the Bible literally.
I realize not every christian takes the bible literally but that's the minority... For the most part, it's been drilled into the follower's heads until all logical information became irrelevant.

BBTimeless

I realize not every christian takes the bible literally but that's the minority... For the most part, it's been drilled into the follower's heads until all logical information became irrelevant.
Actually, many of the younger participants (young adults, 16-25) are more open to the more liberal interpretations of the Bible and are seeking communal spirituality over religious doctrine. So, try not to make broad, condemning statements about a large group of people that you have never met; despite what the media might tell you.

If one believes in God, that's cool... If one believes in God because they were told it was the right thing to do, is a waist of good critical thinking. If it can't be questioned directly, then it's not something we need to hear. What we need to hear is that what we believe doesn't matter, not enough to drag outsiders into it. Instead of street preaching or proselytizing, why not invite a friend over and bring it up after dinner? Why is it so important that others conform to choosing a religion?

BBTimeless

If one believes in God, that's cool... If one believes in God because they were told it was the right thing to do, is a waist of good critical thinking. If it can't be questioned directly, then it's not something we need to hear. What we need to hear is that what we believe doesn't matter, not enough to drag outsiders into it. Instead of street preaching or proselytizing, why not invite a friend over and bring it up after dinner? Why is it so important that others conform to choosing a religion?
Unfortunately, I believed you "waisted" some time in the 4th grade when you should have been practicing for the spelling bee. At any rate, at least in my area, street preaching has gone to the wayside in lieu of other activities to get people to join their congregations. These include spaghetti dinners, field trips, community service projects, bible studies, family outings, sporting events, etc. Many of my local churches are placing heavy emphasis on communal activities first, congregation/worship a close second.

Last edited:
I'm dyslexic... Thanks for making me feel self conscious about it. It was very human of you but that aside, you were able to infer the intent of my post. At least you're not illiterate, as you believe me to be.

BBTimeless

I'm dyslexic... Thanks for making me feel self conscious about it. It was very human of you but that aside, you were able to infer the intent of my post. At least you're not illiterate, as you believe me to be.
When someone makes a post to attack a large group of people/religious institutions for no legitimate reason, in the way you did, I have no sympathy for you.

You have me pegged wrong... I don't think the people are bad or wrong, I'm just expressing a critical way of discerning truth from written systems. There are many truths, most aren't factual. If I hold certain things to be true, such as honor or chivalry, it doesn't make them a fact, their just expressions of my way of being. To say "that man is honorable", doesn't mean the man has honor. You see what I'm saying. I'm not insulting the people though, not intentionally but language is limited to the user... So sue me.

BBTimeless

Christians have a tendency to cherry pick historic events and twist the facts to fit their belief. For example; Hitler was not an atheist and christianity is not the only charitable institution. The christian community is the only group that claims any true innocence but we know different... Christianity has more blood on it's record and has committed more acts of genocide than any other religious group on earth. To disprove their claim as the most popular religion on earth, the average is less than 30% and falling. Even christians mark I don't know on religious poles at this point. So how is it that this disgusting brain poison still exists?
I'm sorry, what did you say?

Belief, dogma... Whatever. I don't look down on people, in groups or individually. What I speak against is the propagation of such ideas as fact. If the bible were not factual (as some christians claim), why push it? It's the matter of selling ideas. And why is it that America is 2nd on the list, as far as fantastic beliefs are concerned?

BBTimeless

Belief, dogma... Whatever. I don't look down on people, in groups or individually. What I speak against is the propagation of such ideas as fact. If the bible were not factual (as some christians claim), why push it? It's the matter of selling ideas. And why is it that America is 2nd on the list, as far as fantastic beliefs are concerned?
Yes, you do look down on people, and that is ok! I look down on Hitler, Stalin, etc; because of what they did. I hold people accountable for the actions they take. The difference is looking down on a group of people and holding them accountable for the actions of a few.

Correct:
Hitler did bad things. Hitler is bad.
Fred Phelps does bad things. Fred Phelps is bad.

Incorrect:
Hitler was bad. Hitler was a German, therefore, Germans are bad.
Fred Phelps is bad. Fred Phelps is a Christian, therefore, Christians are bad.

I see your point... I never claimed that all christians were bad though either. I'm talking about those that would indulge in indoctrinating children and encouraging the desire to reject logical assertions.

BBTimeless

I see your point... I never claimed that all christians were bad though either. I'm talking about those that would indulge in indoctrinating children and encouraging the desire to reject logical assertions.
I follow now, and I do not think you find many who would disagree. :yes: