• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confused christians

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The whole idea of relying on 2000+ year old logic for guidance is, to me, insane. In the biblical era, lightning was seen as an act of God and an earthquake was also. The bible is not a reliable source of information and the fact that it's writing lends it no more credence than any other work of fiction, makes the argument for it only more confounding.

So now you're saying we are insane. Not just Christians, but almost every other religion who has ancient texts.

People don't change although times do change.

So now you're saying we are insane. Not just Christians, but almost every other religion who has ancient texts.

People don't change although times do change.
I'm not insulting the people, I'm pointing out the craziness of the idea. I believe religion separates people from being one with the universe, for lack of a better word. I'm not separate from you, I just have an autonomous unit of space. I think of us as being like atoms, for like substances tend to attract. Apart we serve no greater good than to be at odds, like silver and gold. The difference being material in nature... Silver tarnishes, gold does not. As we tend to think we are special or important, we tarnish our relationships with everything and we remain separate. If we saw each other as the same substance, we could understand that all things in the universe are the same and we could work together to understand it. Relying on ancient logic only serves to maintain that separation...

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I believe religion separates people from being one with the universe, for lack of a better word. I'm not separate from you, I just have an autonomous unit of space. [...] If we saw each other as the same substance, we could understand that all things in the universe are the same and we could work together to understand it. Relying on ancient logic only serves to maintain that separation...
Pantheism is not uncommon in religions.

Pantheism is not uncommon in religions.
I'm not religious... I don't believe or follow religion in any way. I have a feeling of something greater than myself, that doesn't mean I think I know what it is. The idea that someone thinks they can tell me, is a matter of their opinion and what they've been exposed to. I honestly don't think any of us knows anything for certain, so we latch on to the first, best explanation we can understand. I think then, that it is this myriad of ideas that create the distinctions of right and wrong and it creates a gulf between us that grows only wider with time.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm not religious... I don't believe or follow religion in any way.
I'm aware of that; I have read your tirade of posts with anti-religious sentiment. I'm pointing out, though, that many religions are pantheistic, like you describe.

I honestly don't think any of us knows anything for certain, so we latch on to the first, best explanation we can understand. I think then, that it is this myriad of ideas that create the distinctions of right and wrong and it creates a gulf between us that grows only wider with time.
If that was true, then why do people change religion?

I'm aware of that; I have read your tirade of posts with anti-religious sentiment. I'm pointing out, though, that many religions are pantheistic, like you describe.

If that was true, then why do people change religion?
Band wagon. People tend to follow trends....

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't think it's a who... You'll have to elaborate. If we are exposed to certain dogmas as children, we tend to follow the same ideas. Which is not always the case, given I used the word tend.
I was raised without religion. I don't follow the same religion as my brother, the only other member of my immediate family (and extended family I that I know) to be religious besides me.

BBTimeless

Christians aren't the only people who enjoy cherry picking historic events, so I wouldn't be too harsh. And it's rather unfair to blanket label Christianity. Not all Christians approach Christianity in the same manner.

Ignorance, intolerance and hatred and is disgusting, regardless of the creed.
Yes, exactly. I have met some very wonderful people who uphold the goodness that Christianity promotes. I have also met some very ignorant, hateful Christians who uphold the negatives of Biblical teachings.

BBTimeless

The whole idea of relying on 2000+ year old logic for guidance is, to me, insane. In the biblical era, lightning was seen as an act of God and an earthquake was also. The bible is not a reliable source of information and the fact that it's writing lends it no more credence than any other work of fiction, makes the argument for it only more confounding.
This is a common argument against Christianity, however, many Christians would agree with you. I think the Bible can be reliable in some cases and not in others. The parables of Jesus can be good teaching tools in regards to basic morals. The letters of Paul also illustrate social trends and hint at historic events that were relevant at the time. The Bible also has some of the most beautiful (and terrifying) imagery when it comes to discussing the literary aspects. In short, the Bible is not a textbook in the same way a text on Physics is. At the same time, I would not dismiss it outright as a historical source. Not because it depicts historical events accurately, but because it gives us a clue as to the context of the author who is writing it.

BBTimeless

I can see it as being old world psychology but not as anything that pertains to us modern humans. We have a higher understanding of the world now.
Scientifically, you are correct. Some of the stories, however, still have a profound impact on people. Of course, on the other side of the coin there are bad things that come from it too, no one will deny that.

Scientifically yes and also in the way of perception. I don't see the differences between like and unlike substances, for we contain them all, unless their man made of course. The substance of a tree is no different from any other living thing, the molecules are just aligned in a different pattern so then, you perceive it as a tree. The distinction is only in your mind and the fallacy of words.

BBTimeless

Scientifically yes and also in the way of perception. I don't see the differences between like and unlike substances, for we contain them all, unless their man made of course. The substance of a tree is no different from any other living thing, the molecules are just aligned in a different pattern so then, you perceive it as a tree. The distinction is only in your mind and the fallacy of words.
I agree, but perception is more of an individual trait. Not a religious principle.

That's the point... The writings that encompass a religion are exactly that, a persons perception of the world, written on paper. When it was written down, it became literal.. And I use the term literal in a literary sense. Just because it's in a book, doesn't make it true. I've had christians ask me if I believe everything I read, to which I answer "You obviously do".