• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop murders 12 year old boy

Skwim

Veteran Member
No one stated they demanded ID,
Then why the following comment.

"The cop didn't have legal authority to demand an ID,"
?
If it this isn't to be taken as an assertion then you may just as well have said the cops ate spaghetti for lunch for all its relevance to the discussion. But we know better.

I'm saying they didn't even have the legal authority to do that much, let alone approach with guns drawn and demand he put his hands in the air.
Nah. You meant exactly what you said.

Allowing anyone, not just police, to justify a killing because of "perceived self defense" is giving people a license to kill indiscriminately.
BIG Clue here: killing in self defense happens to qualify as discriminatory.

If there was no actual threat how can we prove there was or wasn't a perception of danger.
Maybe we can't, but that's up to others to decide; those with the authority, and no doubt better information than we have. But up until to then we don't run around with a noose in our hands. Well sane people, anyway.

it's not illegal to open carry a gun in Ohio.
It is if you're under 18.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why? Was it illegal to walk around with a gun?
If you're under 18 it is.

Did they see him waving it at people? No, they got a call that "probably a juvenile" playing in the park with "probably a fake gun". So some cop thought he was Rambo and some kid lost his life for it and the cop gets a paid vacation.
I know it's more convenient to purposely misread stuff, but because it's so apparent, you're only making a fool of yourself. Your choice of course.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Very much so. If someone wants to put out gun toys then make them obviously toys. The very plastic looking "old west" cap guns, or the brightly colored Nerf type things. Since when has having a toy gun so realistic as to be mistaken for the real thing ever been a good idea?
The boy:-
SUB-CLEVELAND-master180.jpg

The gun:
24cleveland-02-master315.jpg

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'm waiting for somebody to say he provoked it and brought it on himself. Just give it a few minutes.
In a sense he did. He had removed the yellow tip that indicates that it's a fake gun, and he was pointing it at people. That's why there was a call to the police. It wasn't just an officer passing by, but a call that a boy was pointing a gun at people. It seems like no one else knew it was fake either. The caller guessed it was, but he didn't know.

The only problem in the story is that the boy never pointed the gun at the police, so they were not really under threat even if had been a real gun. It's easy to say that they overreacted, but we have to remember that these officers are actually human beings with the same fears and stress as we would have under the same situation.

My view, this culture of elevating law enforcement into the position of judge, jury, and executioner has got to stop. They do not have to accountable for their actions. And with the increase in militarization of PD's around the country, my opinion of our country acting more like a police state is confirmed.
They are accountable for their actions. It's under investigation.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Why? Was it illegal to walk around with a gun? Did they see him waving it at people?
Yes.

“There is a guy with a pistol,” the caller said. “It’s probably fake, but he’s pointing it at everybody.”

I think "pointing it at everybody" can be translated to "waving it at people". It means basically the same thing.

No, they got a call that "probably a juvenile" playing in the park with "probably a fake gun". So some cop thought he was Rambo and some kid lost his life for it and the cop gets a paid vacation.
He might have overreacted, but I have a friend who is a cop, and he's a super-decent, reasonable guy, with a huge heart for people and helping, but he tells me that it's one of the scariest things to have a gun pointed at you. You react to defend your life in that moment without thinking about who it is on the other end. All rational thoughts are gone. Only action is left. So it's easy for us to read these things and judge, sitting in our comfy couch, drinking a cup of coffee.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Very much so. If someone wants to put out gun toys then make them obviously toys.
This gun has a yellow tip to indicate it being a non-lethal gun (it's an airsoft gun, actually shoot 6mm pellets), but someone (probably the kid) had removed the tip. Which is probably illegal to do in itself.

The very plastic looking "old west" cap guns, or the brightly colored Nerf type things. Since when has having a toy gun so realistic as to be mistaken for the real thing ever been a good idea?
True. Instead of making them black or metallic, make them colorful. That makes it harder to remove. But I'm certain some kids will paint them black to make them look real. That's how kids play. They want to play with the real things, pretend, but real.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The only problem in the story is that the boy never pointed the gun at the police, so they were not really under threat even if had been a real gun.

Deadly force in defense of a third party, the civilians, is justifiable.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm waiting for somebody to say he provoked it and brought it on himself. Just give it a few minutes.

My view, this culture of elevating law enforcement into the position of judge, jury, and executioner has got to stop. They do not have to accountable for their actions. And with the increase in militarization of PD's around the country, my opinion of our country acting more like a police state is confirmed.

Stories like this enrage me.

Tamir was someone's baby. I'm deeply sad for his family and for his community.

I have to say yes - Tamir was greatly responsible for provoking this situation. He was playing with an air gun that was a replica of the real thing. He was waving it around and pointing it at others. It worried others enough to report it to police who have an obligation to protect the public.When he was asked to raise his hands, he didn't listen and reached for the gun.

I'm not sure what I would have done as a cop. I can't imagine what goes through your mind when you think someone might be pulling a gun on you and possibly others.

You've stated that these cops are not accountable to their actions, yet, how do you know that they won't be disciplined? They're both on administrative leave and there is more than one investigation underway.

As for the increase in militarization, not every US community resembles the next. There's been more than one story within the law few years of cops being shot and killed while in the line of duty, here within my community. It's not Ferguson here.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Note the yellow tip at the muzzle.

Airsoft Replica Guns

Airsoft replica guns give recreational marksmen and skirmishers a chance to enjoy something like true combat. Before manufacturers truly began paying attention to replica gun�s detail, they were made from inexpensive plastic parts and required manual spring operation with every shot. As the popularity of combat games grew so did the industry's commitment to verisimilitude in every detail of the Airsoft replica guns.

Today Airsoft has become something of a hybrid, mixing the best of sporting recreation with a love for collecting. The reason is simple: The guns themselves are now often designed to be indistinguishable replicas of major firearms from some of the world's top manufacturers. People who love Airsoft replica guns and the Airsoft pump shotguns they buy say there is nothing quite like this kind of detailed approach to collecting and shooting.

Every aspect of the original firearms is copied with great attention in these Airsoft replica guns, including the weight, materials, scopes and more. Many of the top brands even mirror the firing rates of their counterparts, creating an experience not unlike using a deadly weapon on the battlefield. With blazing muzzle speeds and countless chances for modification, these Airsoft replica guns satisfy a love of good design.

Here at Pyramyd Air, we offer the Web's most comprehensive resource for Airsoft guns of every type, from pistols to shotguns to machine guns. Whether you want simple shotguns or the kind of long-range rifle that can pick off a target from hundreds of meters, these are weapons for discriminating hobbyists. Please call or write today if you want to learn more.

SDGP304BHsn1.jpg

source

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
True. Instead of making them black or metallic, make them colorful. That makes it harder to remove. But I'm certain some kids will paint them black to make them look real. That's how kids play. They want to play with the real things, pretend, but real.

Yeah, agreed. Nerf guns are perfect examples of colorful and unrealistic, but there are plenty of people taking them from this...

LongshotCS6.jpg

to this...

dbnerfgun.jpg

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
We've got the technology to create weapons and other deterrents which don't produce results like this.. But, what are the chances these people will give up their guns? Not surprised. It'll only get worse.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Real gun:
breast_cancer_gun_004.jpg

Toy gun:
122Gun_1.jpg

And people wonder why we have gun issues in this country. This is insane.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The problem is that people let their emotions over ride logic, of course its sad that a young boy is shot dead, but you have to take a look at the bigger picture, or become a cop and find out for yourself.

averageJOE

zombie
Why? Was it illegal to walk around with a gun? Did they see him waving it at people? No, they got a call that "probably a juvenile" playing in the park with "probably a fake gun". So some cop thought he was Rambo and some kid lost his life for it and the cop gets a paid vacation.
Except the cops did NOT get a call saying "probably a juvenile" playing in the park with "probably a fake gun". That's what the 911 caller told the dispatch. The cops were responding to "a male threatening with a gun" from the dispatch. Your anger should be aimed at the dispatch for for not giving the cops the information provided by the caller.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
In a sense he did. He had removed the yellow tip that indicates that it's a fake gun, and he was pointing it at people. That's why there was a call to the police. It wasn't just an officer passing by, but a call that a boy was pointing a gun at people. It seems like no one else knew it was fake either. The caller guessed it was, but he didn't know.

The only problem in the story is that the boy never pointed the gun at the police, so they were not really under threat even if had been a real gun. It's easy to say that they overreacted, but we have to remember that these officers are actually human beings with the same fears and stress as we would have under the same situation.

They are accountable for their actions. It's under investigation.
Except the cops did NOT get a call saying "probably a juvenile" playing in the park with "probably a fake gun". That's what the 911 caller told the dispatch. The cops were responding to "a male threatening with a gun" from the dispatch. Your anger should be aimed at the dispatch for for not giving the cops the information provided by the caller.
good point. Yet shouldn't visually seeing a 12 year old serve much the same purpose?

Draka

Wonder Woman
The problem is that people let their emotions over ride logic, of course its sad that a young boy is shot dead, but you have to take a look at the bigger picture, or become a cop and find out for yourself.
Or, you just take a pic of the gun, show it to someone who is a cop or use to be one and ask them "what would you do if this was being pulled on you?" The answer you'll get..."double tap".