• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop murders 12 year old boy

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Are 12 year old kids incapable of firing a pistol? Remember, the cops had no idea at all the gun was "probably fake", not even the age of the male.
He wasn't even holding it. How young is to young?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Or, you just take a pic of the gun, show it to someone who is a cop or use to be one and ask them "what would you do if this was being pulled on you?" The answer you'll get..."double tap".
Cops are not that stupid, so why even bring that up ?.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Cops are not that stupid, so why even bring that up ?.
Who said anything about cops being stupid? You suggested to look at the bigger picture or become a cop and find out for yourself. Thing I was pointing out is that the gun looked realistic enough that, in a flash, a police officer, upon seeing that being pulled, their training would kick in to defend. That training..."double tap". Which is what the officer in this situation did. He fired twice at the boy. That is what they are trained to do, and it has saved their lives, their partners' lives and the lives of those around them in many cases.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Who said anything about cops being stupid? You suggested to look at the bigger picture or become a cop and find out for yourself. Thing I was pointing out is that the gun looked realistic enough that, in a flash, a police officer, upon seeing that being pulled, their training would kick in to defend. That training..."double tap". Which is what the officer in this situation did. He fired twice at the boy. That is what they are trained to do, and it has saved their lives, their partners' lives and the lives of those around them in many cases.
Yes sorry I miss read you, yes I agree with all that, cops are just people like you and me, they have fear also.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Oh, Jesus. Let's dry those eyes and apply some logic, shall we?

First, for those trying to make this a race thing, do we know the race of the concerned citizens who called the police, or the race of the police who responded?

Second, concealed or open carry laws don't extend to children, nor does it permit carriers to wave their gun around in public and point
it at people.

Third, if a cop can't discern wether or not a gun is real, and the suspect isn't complying with instructions and then reaches for it, a cop isn't going to wait and let someone potentually get shot.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Letting Kids Shoot Guns Is Good for Them | TIME
time.com/3211885/guns-children-firing-range-uzi/
Time
Aug 28, 2014 - It's a terrible time to say this, right after a 9-year-old girl killed her instructor with an Uzi, but shooting guns can be great for kids.

images

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm waiting for somebody to say he provoked it and brought it on himself. Just give it a few minutes.
Isn't it annoying when people take an honest and objective look at the facts rather than, as a knee-jerk reaction, hop aboard whatever bandwagon happens to be popular or emotionally appealing?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Time
Aug 28, 2014 - It's a terrible time to say this, right after a 9-year-old girl killed her instructor with an Uzi, but shooting guns can be great for kids.

images

What's wrong with marksmanship as a sport or past time? How is it different from archery or darts as a sport or past time? Also, why would teaching a kid proper gun safety and responsible use and handling be a bad thing?

Last edited:

Dayman

After all the mass shootings that have occurred in this country and around the world, it's not completely unreasonable to think that maybe this cop thought he might be able to stop one. It's also not unreasonable to think better judgement could have been used. Tragic loss of life either way and we have no choice but to rely on the legal system for justice and answers.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
no strict penalty will occur. the police will assert that they acted in self-defense. police have more rights than 12-year old little boys. the police may even reason that they took down a future criminal who had an early fascination with guns.
A 12 year boy doesn't have a right to wave around what looks like a real gun and point it at people, nor does a 12 year old boy have the right to defy police orders.
If you reach for what appears to be a weapon, cops are trained to shoot in that situation.

Logic, son.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Time

images

Great article.

Even to a lesser degree, you establish a respect for the destructive power and positive potential of a gun, when introduced to it by an adult at a young age - in a straight forward and honest manner. My Dad didn't offer to teach us to shoot until we were older, but, I'd been to a shooting range as a young kid. I'd seen my Dad load, unload & clean his guns on many occasions. I'd held a loaded and unloaded gun. I understood how the safety worked, how the gun worked and why I wasn't qualified to touch a gun without my Dad helping me.

The lesson was always the same. This is a dangerous weapon. It has lethal potential. These are also uses for this gun, if used properly. But, you are to stay away from these guns when they're put up.

I never questioned that. I never needed to. There was a trust established between my Dad and my sisters and I, so I can relate to what's conveyed in the article in a personal way.

And, I would have known better than Tamir at 12 years of age. There's no way in hell my parents would have let me out the door and to the park with an air gun.

Last edited:

ImaTroll

A 12 year boy doesn't have a right to wave around what looks like a real gun and pont it at people, nor does a 12 year old boy have the right to defy police orders.
If you reach for what appears to be a weapon, cops are trained to shoot in that situation.

Logic, son.
exactly. this 12-year old little boy obviously had an unhealthy fascination with guns and further displayed outright rebellion against the police. any sane and logical 12-year old little boy would expect to be shot by officers under those circumstances. hence it is reasonable to assume that this 12-year old little boy was not sane and logical. such traits are the making of a psycho-killer in adult life.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
exactly. this 12-year old little boy obviously had an unhealthy fascination with guns and further displayed outright rebellion against the police. any sane and logical 12-year old little boy would expect to be shot by officers under those circumstances. hence it is reasonable to assume that this 12-year old little boy was not sane and logical. such traits are the making of a psycho-killer in adult life.
Of course children can be ignorant, naive, and foolish. However, unless their parents are absolutely worthless, 12 years old is old enough to know what's acceptable behavior in public, and to comply with instructions given by police. Still, I was speaking more about the reactions of the citizens and the police. Of course it's an unfortunate tragedy, but this isn't a case of misconduct.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Except the cops did NOT get a call saying "probably a juvenile" playing in the park with "probably a fake gun". That's what the 911 caller told the dispatch. The cops were responding to "a male threatening with a gun" from the dispatch. Your anger should be aimed at the dispatch for for not giving the cops the information provided by the caller.

Yet, it's not the dispatcher's place to judge whether they should tell the cop it may be a toy, nor is it the caller's. Dispatch's job is to relay the information that someone is waving a gun. I think it's no different than calling 911 to report someone may be having a heart attack and saying "but it could be indigestion". It's not the dispatcher's call to judge the severity or accuracy of the call or situation. They [should] consider worst case scenario.

averageJOE

zombie
Yet, it's not the dispatcher's place to judge whether they should tell the cop it may be a toy, nor is it the caller's. Dispatch's job is to relay the information that someone is waving a gun. I think it's no different than calling 911 to report someone may be having a heart attack and saying "but it could be indigestion". It's not the dispatcher's call to judge the severity or accuracy of the call or situation. They [should] consider worst case scenario.
I agree with this.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Of course children can be ignorant, naive, and foolish. However, unless their parents are absolutely worthless, 12 years old is old enough to know what's acceptable behavior in public, and to comply with instructions given by police. Still, I was speaking more about the reactions of the citizens and the police. Of course it's an unfortunate tragedy, but this isn't a case of misconduct.

then how young is to young? What if they boy was 9?

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
It's time to ban such toys.

A few years ago there was an almost identical story and like this one in involved a Replica Glock with the orange tip cut off. Those pistols are identical in appearance to a Glock except for that orange tip. Removing the tip makes it impossible to tell it is a toy unless you have it in your hands.

Those are not toys, they are replicas and should not be sold as toys.

When you see a person with what looks like a functional firearm, you assume it is and act accordingly. Toys should look like toys. A replica is only needed as a tool in training one to use the real thing.

Time for toy-makers to return to making toys.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I grant this may really be stretching it, almost to breaking, but is it possible the kid knew exactly what he was doing, and what the outcome would be?

And btw, it's just a question, not a judgement. So please leave my throat just where it is. :p