• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Jesus Have Been Simply a Fraud?

AmbiguousGuy

Seems to. We have a cpl zillion threads about it already, each one containing at least a few hundred posts from people who keep claiming they don't have any interest in the subject. :D

Wow, that is indeed bizarre. I haven't noticed such people, but I'll be on the lookout for them from now on. I just love weird minds.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Weird, ain't it? There seems to be some deep emotion there.

Oh absolutely. My theory is that quite a few people in the Mythist camp have this still-scared-to-death choirboy cringing somewhere in the nether regions of their psyche, and what that translates to the rest of the brain is, "MUST. . .PROVE. . . THIS. . .WRONG!!!"

Of course, the idea that Jesus never existed in the first place takes care of that: no Jesus = no (valid) Christianity = no eternal damnation. Problem solved.

It's a magic bullet that, for some reason, mythists keep shooting themselves in the foot with.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I have a hard time not chiming in on it now and then like most. It is so crucial to traditional Christianity, and many English speakers were or are Christian or surrounded by Christian influence of family or community, it's like an itch you have to scratch now and then. :)

For my self I started out in the area trying to figure out how to be a super-man apologist and what I read and pondered dragged me all over in every direction - I don't even remember 5% of that stuff besides my conclusion on the matter.

It's tough to balance the itch to get all into it now and then with being respectful and kind to folks who believe Jesus is their very life.

Quagmire already touched on most of this during my slow post :facepalm: Had to put on another Simpson's DVD for the kids.

Last edited:

technomage

Finding my own way
Can I claim the xkcd defense?

duty_calls.png

AmbiguousGuy

Oh absolutely. My theory is that quite a few people in the Mythist camp have this still-scared-to-death choirboy cringing somewhere in the nether regions of their psyche, and what that translates to the rest of the brain is, "MUST. . .PROVE. . . THIS. . .WRONG!!!"

Of course, the idea that Jesus never existed in the first place takes care of that: no Jesus = no (valid) Christianity = no eternal damnation. Problem solved.

It's a magic bullet that, for some reason, mythists keep shooting themselves in the foot with.

Geez... what a bunch of geeks! I hope we spot some like that here in this thread!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a hard time not chiming in on it now and then like most. It is so crucial to traditional Christianity, and many English speakers were or are Christian or surrounded by Christian influence of family or community, it's like an itch you have to scratch now and then. :)

For my self I started out in the area trying to figure out how to be a super-man apologist and what I read and pondered dragged me all over in every direction - I don't even remember 5% of that stuff besides my conclusion on the matter.

It's tough to balance the itch to get all into it now and then with being respectful and kind to folks who believe Jesus is their very life.

Quagmire already touched on most of this during my slow post :facepalm: Had to put on another Simpson's DVD for the kids.

You're hanging out in here, your kids are watching the Simpsons.

Aren't you afraid that your kids will, you know, become smarter than you? :D

AmbiguousGuy

Think about it like this: Once upon a time, the majority of Christians thought of Adam as an historical figure. But as they began to see him mythically, they actually became better Christians.

Or this: Once upon a time, the majority of Christians insisted on Creationism. But as they began to let Creationism go and accept Evolution, they didn't lose their faith. Instead, they became better Christians.

Same with the historical Jesus. There is no necessity of thinking of Jesus as historical. It's exactly the same as people thinking that their faith would be lost if they went with evolution. Nope. Their faith just got better.

A Christian can live without an historical Jesus just as he can live without an historical Adam. (Although, of course, they will tend to resist the changeover.)

Sees

Dragonslayer
You're hanging out in here, your kids are watching the Simpsons.

Aren't you afraid that your kids will, you know, become smarter than you? :D

It's destiny anyways :D They will also be more cultured and respectful than I based off the wisdom and lessons shared...most definitely with the holiday specials.

I need to find an episode that talks about Jesus so I can finally know the truth of the matter!

technomage

Finding my own way
Think about it like this: Once upon a time, the majority of Christians thought of Adam as an historical figure. But as they began to see him mythically, they actually became better Christians.

Better ... by whose standards?

Let's for a moment consider the possibility that the Christians who argue for a literal interpretation of their Bibles are correct. (Yeah, I know, that's against the evidence of several fields of science, including biology, astronomy, archaeology, and even history if you consider that to be a science, but work with me for a moment.)

_If_ the Bible is literally true, abandoning a belief in a literal Adam actually makes them worse Christians, because they move further away from "God's truth." Sure, it may make them more capable of dealing with modern culture, but the Bible makes it pretty clear that they're supposed to "set their affections on things above, not on things of the earth."

Now, you and I know that such a view is impossible. While I have frequently asserted, and still believe, that science would be incapable of analyzing a purely supernatural question (such as "Does God exist" or "Is there such a thing as the soul"), I am quite aware that science can analyze some supernatural claims, such as "The earth was created 6000 years ago." Science is quite capable of refuting that claim.

The Christians have a passage in their Bible that says something to the effect of "If the resurrection is false, we are the most miserable of people." For them, they can't have Christianity without an actual, living Jesus.

Now, that's not why I am persuaded that there was a historical Jesus. That's my best analysis of the evidence. But it is an important point to remember, in my (for once, humble) opinion.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It's destiny anyways :D They will also be more cultured and respectful than I based off the wisdom and lessons shared...most definitely with the holiday specials.

I need to find an episode that talks about Jesus so I can finally know the truth of the matter!

Hmmm, can't think of any Simpson-Jesus episodes off the top of my head.

I know there are a bunch of South Park ones, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

technomage

Finding my own way

That's not Simpsons. You need South Park for that. :D