• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Jesus Have Been Simply a Fraud?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Think about it like this: Once upon a time, the majority of Christians thought of Adam as an historical figure. But as they began to see him mythically, they actually became better Christians.

Or this: Once upon a time, the majority of Christians insisted on Creationism. But as they began to let Creationism go and accept Evolution, they didn't lose their faith. Instead, they became better Christians.

Same with the historical Jesus. There is no necessity of thinking of Jesus as historical. It's exactly the same as people thinking that their faith would be lost if they went with evolution. Nope. Their faith just got better.

A Christian can live without an historical Jesus just as he can live without an historical Adam. (Although, of course, they will tend to resist the changeover.)

I think such a Christianity could exist and does already in very small numbers, don't know if it could be mainstream.

The traditional Christian salvation message goes out the window. People switching focus to living like Jesus will cut into too much free time and stuff.

steeltoes

Both Paul and Acts speak to the existence of a Jerusalem sect and tension between Paul and the then current leadership of that sect. Do you claim all of this to be an elaborate fabrication?
No, I don't. Acts glosses over the tensions as if they never existed, church propaganda as it were. There is even some evidence in the gospels of tensions between the apostles.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Perhaps you'd be surprised by how many Christians actually do operate that way. I have some solid Christian friends who couldn't care less about this discussion. They simply wouldn't care if Jesus existed physically or not. They would find arguing about it on the internet a ridiculous waste of time better spent feeding the hungry and fighting injustice and stuff.
They just don't tend to make much noise.
Tom

steeltoes

Perhaps you'd be surprised by how many Christians actually do operate that way. I have some solid Christian friends who couldn't care less about this discussion. They simply wouldn't care if Jesus existed physically or not. They would find arguing about it on the internet a ridiculous waste of time better spent feeding the hungry and fighting injustice and stuff.
Tom

I debate for debate sake, this topic is debatable so that is why I debate it. Jesus may have existed or he may not have, and I don't think it matters either way.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I debate for debate sake, this topic is debatable so that is why I debate it. Jesus may have existed or he may not have, and I don't think it matters either way.

I think you have debate confused with disagree. It isn't the same thing.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I was a little unclear as you slipped a post in while I was typing. I was responding to Sees post just above.:eek:

Tom

eta~ People keep slipping in posts while I am typing. I'm rather slow. This was to Steeltoes~

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
Tom

Oh I agree, there are many great Christians and they have varying beliefs and care about specifics. It's a special breed of people that enjoy or entertain arguing and picking at details. When I was a kid I would visit all the local churches in walking distance excited to ask the preacher/pastor/whoever about big, difficult questions and probably half didn't seem to care much or worry over specifics.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Jesus..... the name. I still don't get why 'they' (Paul?) decided on this name and then stapled it to the memory of a Galilean healer. Why would they need to do that?
Any ideas?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Jesus..... the name. I still don't get why 'they' (Paul?) decided on this name and then stapled it to the memory of a Galilean healer. Why would they need to do that?
Any ideas?

It was all the rage those days...supposedly several Jesus running around

outhouse

Atheistically
Bring one here. I dare you.

You have my permission to tell him that I said Nanny Nanny Boo Boo in his specific direction and spoke disparangingly of his mama's footwear.

I dare you to bring one of your professors here, real or otherwise.

Ill take that as a no.

Appealing to ignorance is a personal choice, I choose another path.

outhouse

Atheistically
Your last two posts to St. Frank were pure ad hominem... nothing about the argument itself, just negative assertions about the arguer.

I'm sorry, but I do see that as substandard debate.

How about let's get back to the historical Jesus -- whether he was a fraud and such.

Are you going to actually start to debate?

steeltoes

Any ideas?

Why the name Jesus is a good question. It has been suggested that the author of Mark merged two religions together, that of the Jerusalem group together with a Galilean Jesus movement. G.A. Wells suggests that the Jesus of Q should not be confused with Paul's Jesus.

outhouse

Atheistically
There is no necessity of thinking of Jesus as historical.

One we get rid of all the red herrings and straw men posted with this.

Your right, there is no necessity at all.

It just seems 100% plausible a man was martyred at Passover, and people found him so important they wrote about him.

technomage

Finding my own way
It just seems 100% plausible a man was martyred at Passover, and people found him so important they wrote about him.

As vigorously as I argue for the point, and as much as I agree with the historicity of Jesus, I wouldn't say "100% plausible." Yes, I find historicity more plausible than myth (mainly because of the fragility of most conspiracies), but to look at the legends of "the Christ" and not be able to consider that since part of that legend is mythical, ALL may be mythical, is simply not looking at all the evidence.

Part of the reason I accept the historicity of Jesus, even with all the mythic trappings that were piled on top, is the proximity of the writings of Paul to the events described. When Paul was writing, there were still people around who could have called him on it if he were spreading stories out of whole cloth.

outhouse

Atheistically
As vigorously as I argue for the point, and as much as I agree with the historicity of Jesus, I wouldn't say "100% plausible." Yes, I find historicity more plausible than myth (mainly because of the fragility of most conspiracies), but to look at the legends of "the Christ" and not be able to consider that since part of that legend is mythical, ALL may be mythical, is simply not looking at all the evidence.

Part of the reason I accept the historicity of Jesus, even with all the mythic trappings that were piled on top, is the proximity of the writings of Paul to the events described. When Paul was writing, there were still people around who could have called him on it if he were spreading stories out of whole cloth.

I started out uneducated and viewed Jesus as mythical, it did not last long.

For years I stayed around 55% historical and 45% mythical.

I now follow the crucifixion and baptism as fact.

With all that said, I still take a very minimal view of the historicity we can attribute. Much less then most scholars. I also still cannot ditch my view of Hellenistic Judaism VS a more traditional Judaism as I find the socioeconomic divisions steep. Places like Sepphoris I view as Hellenist who adopted Judaism more so then Hellenism permeating all of Judaism. I still think the level of Hellenistic influence varied by geographic location, with peasant communities in Galilee holding onto the traditional culture within Judaism tighter then suspected.