• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Jesus Have Been Simply a Fraud?

technomage

Finding my own way
I'm not sure what you're getting at:

What are you talking about? If you meant to show me something else, why didn't you?
Oh, goodness, you're right! I guess this isn't just something that you can be spoon-fed from a web page. You may actually have to go out and DO SOME RESEARCH! :cover:

OK, enough with the fun and games on my part. Franky, this would be like me arguing the finer points of Luciferian doctrine with you when all I've done is read LaVey's "Satanic Bible" once, and it's the wrong book to discuss your teachings because you follow theistic Satanism.

I don't have anywhere near the depth of knowledge of theistic Satanism to debate the issue with you. You don't have the depth of knowledge to debate ANE history with me. There's nothing wrong with ignorance: that can be cured, not easily, but the pursuit is worthwhile.

You're very good at debate, but your debate is debate tricks, not actual substance or knowledge. You're not debating _substance_ ... all you're doing is displaying style. And you're good at style, I'll freely acknowledge that. But until you get some substance to go with your debate, all you're doing is flapping your gums (metaphorically) in a semi-entertaining manner.

The link I sent you to does discuss an atheist who is working in the field of Biblical studies--the books in the list are "popular press" books that discuss (among other issues) what liberal Christians, agnostics, and atheists deal with in the academic field. Yeah, you're gonna have to read it: there is no way in hades that I can pre-digest it into suitable discrete blobs of pap suitable for posting to a web forum. You're going to have to dig in and do the work yourself.

C'mon, Franky. I'm offering you access to the Tree of Knowledge. How can you refuse? ;)

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Oh, goodness, you're right! I guess this isn't just something that you can be spoon-fed from a web page. You may actually have to go out and DO SOME RESEARCH! :cover:

OK, enough with the fun and games on my part. Franky, this would be like me arguing the finer points of Luciferian doctrine with you when all I've done is read LaVey's "Satanic Bible" once, and it's the wrong book to discuss your teachings because you follow theistic Satanism.

I don't have anywhere near the depth of knowledge of theistic Satanism to debate the issue with you. You don't have the depth of knowledge to debate ANE history with me. There's nothing wrong with ignorance: that can be cured, not easily, but the pursuit is worthwhile.

You're very good at debate, but your debate is debate tricks, not actual substance or knowledge. You're not debating _substance_ ... all you're doing is displaying style. And you're good at style, I'll freely acknowledge that. But until you get some substance to go with your debate, all you're doing is flapping your gums (metaphorically) in a semi-entertaining manner.

The link I sent you to does discuss an atheist who is working in the field of Biblical studies--the books in the list are "popular press" books that discuss (among other issues) what liberal Christians, agnostics, and atheists deal with in the academic field. Yeah, you're gonna have to read it: there is no way in hades that I can pre-digest it into suitable discrete blobs of pap suitable for posting to a web forum. You're going to have to dig in and do the work yourself.

C'mon, Franky. I'm offering you access to the Tree of Knowledge. How can you refuse? ;)

That's nice, but that still doesn't really add to the discussion at hand here.

technomage

Finding my own way
That's nice, but that still doesn't really add to the discussion at hand here.
That one post added more in substance than any half-dozen of your posts, Saint Franky. Not for lack of trying on your part ... but because you don't have the substance to offer.

I don't mean the above as an insult. As I said, ignorance is curable.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
That one post added more in substance than any half-dozen of your posts, Saint Franky. Not for lack of trying on your part ... but because you don't have the substance to offer.

I keep it short and to the point instead of playing games. Not interested in your condescending attitude.

By the way, my name is Frank, not "Franky". I'm not a child.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Both Paul and Acts speak to the existence of a Jerusalem sect and tension between Paul and the then current leadership of that sect. Do you claim all of this to be an elaborate fabrication?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Says the person who was derailing the discussion into something that wasn't here nor there to the discussion. At best, it was a sidenote.

Well if you want to get technical, in the context of the OP the whole discussion about historicity is a side note.

I pointed that out to you guys a few dozen pages ago, but at this point I figure, "Oh well, the kids have already trashed this room. Might as well close the door and let them have fun".

Sees

Dragonslayer
Well if you want to get technical, in the context of the OP the whole discussion about historicity is a side note.

I pointed that out to you guys a few dozen pages ago, but at this point I figure, "Oh well, the kids have already trashed this room. Might as well close the door and let them have fun".

Historic Jesus takes over everything

AmbiguousGuy

Sorry to see you blink so soon. When you first entered the debate, I had such hope.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Historic Jesus takes over everything

Seems to. We have a cpl zillion threads about it already, each one containing at least a few hundred posts from people who keep claiming they don't have any interest in the subject. :D

Those are also the same people who keep steering only vaguely related (or even completely unrelated) threads in that direction.

God help us if they ever decide to post about something they do care about.

technomage

Finding my own way
Sorry to see you blink so soon. When you first entered the debate, I had such hope.
You've been asserting that my debate skills are substandard for several posts so far. As far as pure "zero-sum, winner-take-all" style, I'll gladly stipulate that it's true--but that's not the type of discussion I aim for. As far as substance ... as I said before, I'll let others judge that.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

No reflection on the people who joined in later, btw.

AmbiguousGuy

You've been asserting that my debate skills are substandard for several posts so far.

Your last two posts to St. Frank were pure ad hominem... nothing about the argument itself, just negative assertions about the arguer.

I'm sorry, but I do see that as substandard debate.

How about let's get back to the historical Jesus -- whether he was a fraud and such.