• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Jesus Have Been Simply a Fraud?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
He doesn't know more.

Your asking questions that cannot be answered.

It is ok to say, we don't know.

But one thing is correct and that is what technomage stated.

Your failing to realize the multiple languages in use, and the simple translation of each.

I don't trust this at all.
I'll be back.............. :yes:

AmbiguousGuy

This is a forum not a book.

Im often at work and have little time to try to be perfect.

It's my view that writing well is directly related to thinking well. Would you maybe consider putting a little more time into it?

Anyway, my point is that when you bash me for my ignorance -- while doing so with jumbled, even-indescipherable language -- it can be a little hard to take the insults seriously.

So please either stop bashing me or else do it with clear language, where I can understand it... is all I'm saying.

You have admitted your ignorance to scholarships and the teachings of credible professors. I am only repeating your own statements.

Hmm. Well then I wonder why it's so easy for me to manhandle you in a HJ v MJ debate? Can you explain that?

Imagine if I had all the scholars' names memorized -- as you do. Then I'd really have an unfair advantage!

No, that would just be wrong of me. I hereby promise to remain ignorant of the names of all leading Biblical scholars.

Because I really do love you.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So now we are doing the Last Supper debate?

I've never seen anyone take notice.....
When He declared .....'Do this in memory of Me' ....
was He not setting aside Moses?

The Passover is supposedly the highest Sabbath on the calendar.
and the Carpenter would place Himself in the midst of it?

If there has been consideration to His being a fraud ......
this item should have been at the top of this topic.

But I lean to the parables of the Carpenter more than the rituals of Moses.

roger1440

I do stuff
Hi....

I can't print sources just now, but the name Jesus is reported to have two parts, only one part being Greek.

But, even so, you have got to ask yourself 'Why would a messenger from God instruct an Aramaic Speaking Galilean Father to name his son with a Greek name.'

Why?
This site could probably explain better than I can.

“He is correct in saying Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous. The English spelling for Iēsous is “Jesus.”

Basically, what this means is Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English, the other from Greek into English. It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord."”

Name of Jesus - Why Do We Call Him Jesus if His Name is Yeshua?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This site could probably explain better than I can.

“He is correct in saying Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous. The English spelling for Iēsous is “Jesus.”

Basically, what this means is Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English, the other from Greek into English. It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord."”

Name of Jesus - Why Do We Call Him Jesus if His Name is Yeshua?

Very good post. Thanks for the care that you took with this. :)

outhouse

Atheistically
Hmm. Well then I wonder why it's so easy for me to manhandle you in a HJ v MJ debate?

You don't.

I'm very well aware of your cheap shots and misdirection. You answer questions, by asking questions. You fling baseless answers avoiding the topic at hand, and if you do answer it is usually out of context.

I play your game because I choose to, it is so easy to refute everything you throw my way and to have for the most part credible knowledge following mainstream scholarships posted for everyone to see.

Many of your replies are empty and unsubstantiated, that makes it easy for me to refute, I can be half right and successfully refute most of your statements.

Imagine if I had all the scholars' names memorized -- as you do

You don't have any credible ones that back your position, its not hard to remember the two or three that even come close.

I view it as conspiracy mentality. With that mind set, I can criticize anyone and everything at anytime. Sadly it gives people like that the credibility of "Ancient Aliens" to me it suckers in the ignorant.

outhouse

Atheistically
So now we are doing the Last Supper debate?

I've never seen anyone take notice.....
When He declared .....'Do this in memory of Me' ....
was He not setting aside Moses?

The Passover is supposedly the highest Sabbath on the calendar.
and the Carpenter would place Himself in the midst of it?

If there has been consideration to His being a fraud ......
this item should have been at the top of this topic.

But I lean to the parables of the Carpenter more than the rituals of Moses.

What carpenter? How much woods was in Nazareth?

Do you even understand how tekton at this period is translated?

Hint= hand worker living the life below that of a common peasant, doing odd jobs and helping out where ever he can just to survive.

I think you place to much faith on words, we cannot even attribute to him with any degree of certainty. Its my opinion many of his parables were taught to him by JtB.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't know who the man is from my link, I just provided one.

The above was your answer to one of my questions.
So all you do to show your pov is copy anything you see and 'splodge' it onto the post?

You then write stuff such as:-
Originally Posted by outhouse to Ambitious Guy ....or Ambidextrous Guy.... Amphibious Guy....... ?? ( :D )
You have admitted your ignorance to scholarships and the teachings of credible professors...............

Can you see the lack of academic-integrity displayed in the two posts? Nobody on this thread is ignorant, surely? We just have varying opinions?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What carpenter? How much woods was in Nazareth?
Yeshua was working around the northern shoreline of the lake. He was obviously not working around Nazareth. Look what the folks said when he returned.... they had to ask 'Isn't this....?'

Hint= hand worker living the life below that of a common peasant, doing odd jobs and helping out where ever he can just to survive.
Yeshua was working with Stone, and wood, and possibly bone. He had loads of work, and would have been above the level that you have set for him. And then he picked up his healing, and reduced his trade........ it looks like this to me.

I think you place to much faith on words, we cannot even attribute to him with any degree of certainty. Its my opinion many of his parables were taught to him by JtB.
......... probably were....... it was JtB's mission; Yeshua just picked it up after J's arrest.

AmbiguousGuy

I'm very well aware of your cheap shots and misdirection. You answer questions, by asking questions. You fling baseless answers avoiding the topic at hand, and if you do answer it is usually out of context.

I'm going to leave you with that, outhouse. If you ever feel ready to discuss the historical Jesus with me, let me know.

outhouse

Atheistically
The above was your answer to one of my questions.
So all you do to show your pov is copy anything you see and 'splodge' it onto the post?

So you cannot refute it. :facepalm: In any way shape or form.

I cannot go back through all of my knowledge and supply sources from past lessons taught to me. I backed my statement with a source.

Now its your turn to try and refute what I posted, if you can.

You then write stuff such as:-

Can you see the lack of academic-integrity displayed in the two posts?

You have a serious comprehensive problem. Did I write that or did someone else edited my post against forum rules???????????????

I think if you go back, you will find yourself in error again, you cannot change words in my reply.

And as far as ignorance, I only posted what he has admitted to. If you don't read scholarships or know their positions, how can you expect to debate against them?

Nobody on this thread is ignorant, surely?

You take the word out of context.

There are many areas I am definitely ignorant about in biblical studies, I am just one who admits it. I know my shortcomings.

We just have varying opinions?

Some much more educated then others.

Some much more plausible then others.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
. If you ever feel ready to discuss the historical Jesus with me, let me know.

When you actually start answering questions straight and forward manner, it would be my pleasure.

Provide a replacement hypothesis for the one that explains in detail why we have what we have, and im all ears :shrug:

outhouse

Atheistically
Yeshua was working around the northern shoreline of the lake. He was obviously not working around Nazareth. Look what the folks said when he returned.... they had to ask 'Isn't this....?'

You place to much certainty on something being said, and wrote 40 years after his death by people that didn't know him.

How do you know where he worked?

. He had loads of work

:biglaugh:

Did he now?

So much certainty, so little credible evidence to back this position.

, and would have been above the level that you have set for him.

And who's socioeconomic model are you following?

Johnathon Reeds work?

The late Marvin Meyer?

Lawernce Shiffman?

Marcus Borg?

Crossan?

Or your own? :help:

Yeshua just picked it up after J's arrest.

If JtB baptized him, that means JtB was his teacher.

Why couldn't Jesus learn from John before john's arrest?