• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

Sees

Dragonslayer
I'm the one piloting the meat suit that's typing on this keyboard to communicate with you on the Internet.

Who were you replying to...? This is fun :D

I've always had the naughty idea of raiding the home of someone who doesn't believe in self, individuality, possessions, etc. just to see if they jump ship or let it sink. Announcement after entry - "I am the Universe, taking some pieces of Universe, from this Universal residence...we, as Universal Self, have no quarrel"

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
Could it be possible that "nothingness" is an actual dimension in and of itself just like space and time? If nothingness, void, vacuum, or empty space is an actual dimension, perhaps if we do not take that dimension into our equations of the universe, we could never hope to understand why there is such thing as "something". If virtual particles can briefly "pop" into and out of existence, there must be some sort of non-existence or "nothingness" (another dimension?) from whence they appear.
BTW, I do not believe that nothingness is "Pure Consciousness" or "Ultimate Reality" or anything mystical in nature. My understanding or my idea is that consciousness is a complex form of interaction. The physical world is a reality, but perhaps nothingness is another real dimension which forms that which we call existence.
Here is a link...
http://www.livescience.com/28132-what-is-nothing-physicists-debate.html

It's my opinion that the theories laws and axioms of our physics and other sciences are in a crisis situation, or at the very least long held beliefs are falling like a house of cards in space. Why did I say in space? Because in space no one can hear the crashing down of our science establishment. I also believe this failure and strife can be directly attributed to we doing as the world did, which was accepting the logical empirical and using it as the exclusive system of science and discovery etc. In any case before I go off on an off this related but rather off topic tangent I will steer my comments back to the topic at hand.

Nothingness does not mean the same thing it did in Einstein’s day. Or for that matter today ‘nothingness’ means something different than when Hawking began his studies as a ‘high school’ student. So does ‘nothingness’ exist? No, not in my opinion. At least not in this, era ie time and not in this material universe. Did ’nothingness’ exist before the big bang (hot model) in the Big Bang theory original incarnation? No again, however, nothingness* did exist before T-0 i.e. before time**, space, the elements and fields etc were created in the big bang singularity appeared and became the universe we see today.

Footnotes;

Nothingness*………… Nothingness in this usage means The state of absolutely nothing i.e. the absolute absence of something.
Before time**. T-0 is the ‘moment’ when the big bang ‘singularity’ appeared. Some, a relativity small group of scientists, argue that time is eternal, or has ‘always’ existed. However, most theoretical physicists, cosmologists etc agree that ‘time’ was created fractions of a nano-second after the big bang ‘singularity’ ‘appeared‘.

Ooops!

EDIT 4;27 am ;

Hi Runewolf, I forgot to answer the ‘concerns’ you brought up. You said ; “If nothingness, void, vacuum, or empty space is an actual dimension, perhaps if we do not take that dimension into our equations of the universe, we could never hope to understand why there is such thing as "something". If virtual particles can briefly "pop" into and out of existence, there must be some sort of non-existence or "nothingness" (another dimension?) from whence they appear.”

The prevailing theory is that when a virtual particle pops out of existence it actually pops into a state called superposition. Its neither here or there or it can be in both places at the same ‘time’, such are the nuances of the laws of QM. As a fellow but different spiritualist (I use the word loosely), I think, and this is mostly speculation, that many supernatural events will one day be found to be controlled caused and able to be described etc by aspects of quantum mechanical theory. Weird QM characteristics like quantum entanglement may describe how prayer or spells can or could work. As I said its mostly speculation but such subjects etc would be exciting to study with the resources of the scientific establishment. However, sadly as I touch on (below) such so called ‘wacky’ subjects are deemed too silly to be worthy of serious study.

MrMr

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Who were you replying to...? This is fun :D

I've always had the naughty idea of raiding the home of someone who doesn't believe in self, individuality, possessions, etc. just to see if they jump ship or let it sink. Announcement after entry - "I am the Universe, taking some pieces of Universe, from this Universal residence...we, as Universal Self, have no quarrel"
LMAO! Love it! :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This is what I mean when I say that we'll never see eye to eye on this. My spiritual path exalts the individual Self - the eternal I. Submission to another being (such as in the Right-Hand Path religions of Christianity and Islam) or assimilation into some theorized greater whole (such as in some branches of Hinduism and the New Age) are viewed as horrible things to be avoided.

No, you aren't understanding that you cannot change the facts, as it were. Your dealing with the faulty ego whether you believe that you are avoiding a 'borg', or not.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
No, you aren't understanding that you cannot change the facts, as it were. Your dealing with the faulty ego whether you believe that you are avoiding a 'borg', or not. If the ''lhp'' were so individual, then how can I predict their every move? heheheh
What "facts"? I'm not seeing many of those being presented. None of you "there is no self" people make any sense. Never do.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Intriguing, could you say more about how this works practically?
Practically, it's a matter of learning all that you can, setting goals and following them, changing your surroundings to your liking as much as you can, challenging yourself, and just generally thinking for yourself and not following the herd. Spiritually speaking, it's a path to apotheosis (Self-deification). You can perform rituals, meditate, create art and such, if you're so inclined. The goal is presented in general terms, but it's up to you to decide how you're going to get there. There are orders you can join, but no one's really going to hold your hand and the LHP isn't supposed to have any dogmas to follow. (If you come across a group that claims to be LHP but is dogmatic, don't bother with them because they're posers and a cult.)

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
At the deepest level, I'm a Spirit, an individual point of awareness, that is experiencing things in realm (and others).

I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this, since Western religions and philosophies emphasize individualism and Eastern ones tend to present the Self as an illusion that is part of some greater whole. Furthermore, Luciferianism, Satanism and Setianism all push that individualism into overdrive, seeking to maximize this individuation.

Actually the Western religions such as Judaism and even Christianity are eastern religions. A major recurring theme in the bible is that this reality is an illusion, the afterlife is the true reality. Many Christians deny the bible, by relying on a preacher, usually well meaning guy, to interpret it for them. Not good! Anyway I do agree that Christianity does reject individualism. True Christianity is like true communism and its goal is to provide for all not just the self.

MrMr

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Practically, it's a matter of learning all that you can, setting goals and following them, changing your surroundings to your liking as much as you can, challenging yourself, and just generally thinking for yourself and not following the herd.

It's interesting to hear another perspective. I share some of your skepticism about the the non-self brigade, or more accurately the new-age version, some of them seem very opinionated for people who are intent on "losing themselves". Or maybe to lose the ego you really have to indulge it first? ;)