• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Nothingness Be Another Dimension In And Of Itself?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
How about the reality represented by the concept of omniscience or universal mind....such a reality would require a unified universal field of inter-activeness...

I don't believe the universe is conscious, nor do I believe in a universal mind. I believe the universe is more like an interactive field, but on an infinite scale. Out of that field may arise many different forms of interaction both simple and complex, two examples of which we call "life" and "consciousness".

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That lends itself to the expectation that someone who claims to experience the "universal mind" really should know what I did 4 minutes ago and be able to tell me, clearly. It that isn't the case then thoughts of so-called "omniscience" go right out the window.
Every sentient being is experiencing the universal mind because that is all there is...every sentient entity lives, moves, and has their being within it... but those who are aware of it are no necessarily different from that don't...the part may be an expression of the whole, not the other way around..so it does not follow that a sentient being who claims to experience the universal mind is necessarily omniscient...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I don't believe the universe is conscious, nor do I believe in a universal mind. I believe the universe is more like an interactive field, but on an infinite scale. Out of that field may arise many different forms of interaction both simple and complex, two examples of which we call "life" and "consciousness".
Given a universe that is infinitely indivisibly one...any concepts to describe differentiated aspects of the infinite interactive field are not truly disconnected....so if you accept that interactions can form the basis of life and consciousness in the micro level lowly evolved entities such as humans, animals, etc., why not the macro level of stars, galaxies, etc.,...to infinity itself.. Iow, if the principle of life and consciousness is in the interactions, the principle itself in omnipresent and so there is no limit to the types and forms it takes from the infinitesimal to the infinite..Try not to think anthropomorphically about awareness....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Given a universe that is infinitely indivisibly one...any concepts to describe differentiated aspects of the infinite interactive field are not truly disconnected....so if you accept that interactions can form the basis of life and consciousness in the micro level lowly evolved entities such as humans, animals, etc., why not the macro level of stars, galaxies, etc.,...to infinity itself.. Iow, if the principle of life and consciousness is in the interactions, the principle itself in omnipresent and so there is no limit to the types and forms it takes from the infinitesimal to the infinite..Try not to think anthropomorphically about awareness....
I suspect that as soon as you said, `so if you accept,` you implied a contradiction.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I suspect that as soon as you said, `so if you accept,` you implied a contradiction.
What and where is the contradiction..."so if you accept" was a figure of speech in referring to the statement of Runewolf197where he said...."Out of that field may arise many different forms of interaction both simple and complex, two examples of which we call "life" and "consciousness"..from which I drew on to extend the principle beyond the limited context he provided?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
There is no such thing as nothingness in the Cosmos, the Cosmos is One, you cannot divide it up and label this and that, we as humans do that, but the Cosmos doesn't, it is One unity, no division at all.

outhouse

Atheistically
., why not the macro level of stars, galaxies, etc.,...to infinity itself..

Because isn't imagination is required to think non living matter has consciousness in the light of no evidence?

Might as well say rocks are conscious while one is at it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What and where is the contradiction..."so if you accept" was a figure of speech in referring to the statement of Runewolf197where he said...."Out of that field may arise many different forms of interaction both simple and complex, two examples of which we call "life" and "consciousness"..from which I drew on to extend the principle beyond the limited context he provided?
Perhaps I misunderstood.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
There is no such thing as nothingness in the Cosmos, the Cosmos is One, you cannot divide it up and label this and that, we as humans do that, but the Cosmos doesn't, it is One unity, no division at all.

To me the cosmos looks like mostly empty space with some isolated bits of stuff flying around in it.

Rick O'Shez

Yes it does seem like that, but is it ?.

We really don't know yet, but it might be better to admit that instead of trying to fill in the blanks with a load of religious mumbo-jumbo. It's odd how some people have this overwhelming need to reify something - reify consciousness, reify light....they all look like God substitutes to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick O'Shez

A point of view of The Changeless without evidence to support it is about as compelling and convincing as someone saying they saw Bigfoot.

A few mushrooms will usually do the trick. ;)

But is The Changeless the same as Absolute Nothingness, or is it Cosmic Consciousness? So hard to keep track!!

godnotgod

Thou art That
A point of view of The Changeless without evidence to support it is about as compelling and convincing as someone saying they saw Bigfoot.

Except that Bigfoot is 'out there', while The Changeless is as close to you as the tip of your nose. In fact, you are nothing less than The Changeless itself, pretending to 'Interaction'. It's just the game you choose to play.

It has been said that, should you come face to face with The Devil, do not be afraid; instead, compliment him on the quality of his illusion.