• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin movie not showing in America

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It seems you`re taking some heat for this comment.
I just want you to know that some of us agree with you.

To say otherwise is to be blind to the realities of our culture.

Then again maybe being an atheist in this society gives one a bit of a different perspective when consider cultural religious tolerance here.
You don't find it even a little exaggerated to compare the US to a country where religious minorities get executed?

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
I see the Darwin movie has been picked up by almost every country in the world except that in America. An American distributer cant be found for this movie as its to controversial for them.
I never even heard of this film until this moment. Certainly I have heard no outcry against it here in the US. The Last Temptation of Christ and Jesus Christ Superstar were both widely denounced and, consequently, moderately successful. Perhaps if there was an outcry against the Darwin movie then producers would take it as free publicity and show it here. As it is, if it is not fit to survive the American screen then it has naturally been selected to remain a European species, yeah?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
And generally true.
"In God we trust"
"One nation under God"
"God bless America"
"We are a Christian nation. Vote smart"
"Our God-given Rights"

etc, etc, etc. ad nauseam
However, not a true representation of all Americans. Just as the statement "All Christians are Biblical Literalists" is a generalization. As is the statement "All Atheists ridicule Christians"

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I never even heard of this film until this moment. Certainly I have heard no outcry against it here in the US. The Last Temptation of Christ and Jesus Christ Superstar were both widely denounced and, consequently, moderately successful. Perhaps if there was an outcry against the Darwin movie then producers would take it as free publicity and show it here. As it is, if it is not fit to survive the American screen then it has naturally been selected to remain a European species, yeah?
It's been mentioned earlier in the thread that the producers were trying to whip up controversy for the film since its reviews have been luke warm, and the main reason American distributors have passed on Creation is that it's just not likely to make any money.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Belief of Evolutionary Theory by Country

The only country that ranks lower than the USA in the chart is... Turkey.

Some major countries are missing, certainly, but it is still an interesting snapshot of worldwide acceptance of evolutionary theory.
While I abhor the Religious Rights influance of evolutionary acceptance, the statement implied religious intolerance in America, where all are free to practice, or refrain from, any religion is comparable to countries where religions not sanctioned by the government are routinely subject to extreme violence and subjugation.

linwood

You don't find it even a little exaggerated to compare the US to a country where religious minorities get executed?

Not really considering it`s my belief that the only reason religious minorities don`t get treated equivalently here is the constitution.

Maybe execution is going a bit far but the attitude of the average American seems to be more in line with the attitude of the average Iranian conservative than those who designed our national rights.

In my experience anyway.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Not really considering it`s my belief that the only reason religious minorities don`t get treated equivalently here is the constitution.
Oh, just the Constitution?

Religious freedom is enshrined in THE foundational document, and you find that a trivial difference?

Maybe execution is going a bit far but the attitude of the average American seems to be more in line with the attitude of the average Iranian conservative than those who designed our national rights.

In my experience anyway.
There's ***holes everywhere. The difference is there, they can act on their bigotry without reprisal. Kinda a big deal, don't you think?

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
It seems you`re taking some heat for this comment.
I just want you to know that some of us agree with you.

To say otherwise is to be blind to the realities of our culture.

Then again maybe being an atheist in this society gives one a bit of a different perspective when consider cultural religious tolerance here.

C'mon man... Don't you think that's stretching it a bit? I see you live in Florida, and I'm not far from you in Mobile, AL. I would say we both live in the bible belt.. and I don't feel one bit like I live in Iran. I have friends from Suadi Arabia, Pakistan, and Iran, and not one of them would agree with that.

linwood

Oh, just the Constitution?

Religious freedom is enshrined in THE foundational document, and you find that a trivial difference?

It`s not a trivial difference but it wasn`t the point of logicians post either.
I`m thankful for the laws we have restraining the religious intolerance that surrounds me but that doesn`t mean the religious intolerance doesn`t exist.

The fact that Americans are in general uniformed of the world and cultures within it cannot be denied.

For Christs sakes the LEADERS OF OUR COUNTRY renamed french fries over a difference of geopolitical opinion!
Obama is a Muslim mole!
Evolution is Nazi-ism!
Our problem with health care stems directly from this ignorant intolerance embedded within our collective psyche.

Hundreds of thousands are easily manipulated by a couple of idiotic talking heads into taking to the streets to protest points of view that don`t exist anywhere other than the warped minds of the talking heads.

We as a people in general don`t think about our beliefs we just accept them because they sound right to or pre-concieved biases.

Even when directly confronted with facts that objectively evidence our mistake we continue to hold fast to the mistakes because we like them.

In short we`re idiots.

There's ***holes everywhere. The difference is there, they can act on their bigotry without reprisal. Kinda a big deal, don't you think?
Very big deal but again not Logicians point.

Logicians point isn`t that the system is intolerant but that the people within it are.
In general he is correct.

Just because the system keeps them from acting on it doesn`t mean they wouldn`t if the system were different.

linwood

C'mon man... Don't you think that's stretching it a bit? I see you live in Florida, and I'm not far from you in Mobile, AL. I would say we both live in the bible belt.. and I don't feel one bit like I live in Iran. I have friends from Suadi Arabia, Pakistan, and Iran, and not one of them would agree with that.

Not really Circle.

I firmly believe that most of the people around me would act on their intolerance if not kept in check by our laws.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It`s not a trivial difference but it wasn`t the point of logicians post either.
I`m thankful for the laws we have restraining the religious intolerance that surrounds me but that doesn`t mean the religious intolerance doesn`t exist.

The fact that Americans are in general uniformed of the world and cultures within it cannot be denied.

For Christs sakes the LEADERS OF OUR COUNTRY renamed french fries over a difference of geopolitical opinion!
Obama is a Muslim mole!
Evolution is Nazi-ism!
Our problem with health care stems directly from this ignorant intolerance embedded within our collective psyche.

Hundreds of thousands are easily manipulated by a couple of idiotic talking heads into taking to the streets to protest points of view that don`t exist anywhere other than the warped minds of the talking heads.

We as a people in general don`t think about our beliefs we just accept them because they sound right to or pre-concieved biases.

Even when directly confronted with facts that objectively evidence our mistake we continue to hold fast to the mistakes because we like them.

In short we`re idiots.

Very big deal but again not Logicians point.

Logicians point isn`t that the system is intolerant but that the people within it are.
In general he is correct.

Just because the system keeps them from acting on it doesn`t mean they wouldn`t if the system were different.
Well, you're not without a point, but I still think the post in question was hyperbolic at best.

But we're going off-topic.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Not really Circle.

I firmly believe that most of the people around me would act on their intolerance if not kept in check by our laws.
Then we agree that it is our laws that make us different.
I mean, I live in Focus on the Families backyard, and I agree that if it were not for constitutional law, I would find it very difficult to live here. But at least there are more tolerant and open minded locations I could move to, and still be in America.
(But I would miss the view);)

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Not really Circle.

I think you're putting too much stock into what Rupert Murdoch and the FOX News gang string together... They give all of these nut jobs a lot of media coverage, and suddenly everyone is convinced that the majority of the country acts like that. The fact is that the more extreme you are (whether religious or political), the more air time you'll get.

Also, I'm not Christian, and neither are most of my friends, and I firmly believe that given the opportunity, my community would not punish me for my religious views (or lack thereof). Bear in mind that I live on a street with at least nine churches on it. Nine!

linwood

I think you're putting too much stock into what Rupert Murdoch and the FOX News gang string together... They give all of these nut jobs a lot of media coverage, and suddenly everyone is convinced that the majority of the country acts like that.

True, but I can base my opinion on nothing more than my neighborhood if I must.

When I moved here everyone was nice kind considerate friendly.
Now that my atheism is out well...lets just say I`m avoided by most, directly evangelized by others to the point of blatantly disregarding my personal world view at times.

I had one neighbor who was very friendly until he realized I had actually read his Bible and couldn`t be convinced to stop following Satan.

He vividly described my 2 year old daughters blistering skin burning off in the eternal hellfire I was leading her to.

I simply tried to stop the discussion until he told me that if I wouldn`t lead my family to god he`d do it during the day when I was at work.

I then threatened to rip his throat out if he came near my family uninvited very loudly in the my front yard.

Two days later he was Baker acted by his wife but I`m still the one with a loose screw.

I get this kind of thing to a lessor degree all the time here and I probably get it more than I would if I`d just ignore it but I don`t.
If they are going to try to sell me their point of view in such a confrontational manner I`m going to show them why their point of view isn`t worth buying.

That probably causes me trouble but I won`t be disregarded.

linwood

He was and still is certifiably a nutcase and I did mention his position was an extreme but the same attitude resides in almost everyone around me to a lessor degree or on a different topic.

If it`s not religious dogma it`s political dogma.
If it`s not political dogma it`s racial dogma.

If anyone is different to the point of believing the majorities beliefs "wrong" then there is a price to pay.

The people I have met in this society are in one way or another on some topic intolerant of opposing views to the point of denying reality.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
He was and still is certifiably a nutcase and I did mention his position was an extreme but the same attitude resides in almost everyone around me to a lessor degree or on a different topic.

If it`s not religious dogma it`s political dogma.
If it`s not political dogma it`s racial dogma.

If anyone is different to the point of believing the majorities beliefs "wrong" then there is a price to pay.

The people I have met in this society are in one way or another on some topic intolerant of opposing views to the point of denying reality.
OK, but I still have no idea what "Baker acted" means.

linwood

OK, but I still have no idea what "Baker acted" means.

Sorry...
Florida Mental health Act:

The Florida Mental Health Act of 1971 is commonly known as the "Baker Act" in Florida. It was originally enacted, at least in part, because of widespread instances of elder abuse, in which one or more family members would have another family member committed in order to gain control over their estate prior to their death. Once committed, it was difficult for many of the patients to obtain representation, and they became warehoused until their death. The Florida State Hospital at Chattahoochee, Florida was notorious for housing many such patients.
The Baker Act allows for involuntary examination (what some call emergency or involuntary commitment). It can be initiated by judges, law enforcement officials, physicians or mental health professionals. There must be evidence that the person

• a) has a mental illness (as defined in the Baker Act) and
  • b) is a harm to self, harm to others, or self neglectful (as defined in the Baker Act).
Examinations may last up to 72 hours and occur in 100+ Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF; originally Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, or HRS) designated receiving facilities statewide.

Florida Mental Health Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You`re essentially committed for up to 72 hours to determine your mental stability.