• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin movie not showing in America

Smoke

Done here.
One would wonder why they'd have to pass an "act" when Sweden always seemed to be a religiously "free" nation.
Religious freedom was expanded in several respects. For instance:

The Church of Sweden was disestablished.

A religion no longer has to be legally incorporated or have any other legal form to be recognized as a religion.

If parents change their religion, their children aged 12 or older may choose not to adopt the new religion.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Religious freedom was expanded in several respects. For instance:

The Church of Sweden was disestablished.

A religion no longer has to be legally incorporated or have any other legal form to be recognized as a religion.

If parents change their religion, their children aged 12 or older may choose not to adopt the new religion.

And they did all this in 1999? Seems kinda behind the times...

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Nope. By that reasoning, America would be a Christian nation, don't you think?

Going by demographics, yes the US would be a predominately Christian nation.
Going by Constitutional law, the US would be a secular nation.

Sweden is secular in both demographics and law. And also predominately atheist in demographics. (Up to 80% is some polls)

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Yet currently one of the most progressive nations in the world.

(OK, got to admit some bias, my Great-grandmother immigrated from Sweden, we still celebrate a few Swedish traditions.):rolleyes:
Are the fish in Sweden sweet?....
images

:biglaugh:

Hilarious!!!!

Smoke

Done here.
And they did all this in 1999? Seems kinda behind the times...
Not really.

There are still more than 20 countries that have some Christian church or other as the established church, more than 30 that have established Islam as the state religion, and 6 that have established Buddhism as the state religion.

Most countries do not guarantee recognition of unorganized religions or the religious autonomy of 12-year-olds, either.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Yet currently one of the most progressive nations in the world.

(OK, got to admit some bias, my Great-grandmother immigrated from Sweden, we still celebrate a few Swedish traditions.):rolleyes:

There's actually a video game development studio called "Dice" that's based in Stockholm, and I really would love to work for them. Maybe I'll immigrate over that way... :D

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Not really.

There are still more than 20 countries that have some Christian church or other as the established church, more than 30 that have established Islam as the state religion, and 6 that have established Buddhism as the state religion.

Most countries do not guarantee recognition of unorganized religions or the religious autonomy of 12-year-olds, either.

Wow... I certainly did not know that. Consider me informed now Smoke. Thx! :)

rojse

RF Addict
While I abhor the Religious Rights influance of evolutionary acceptance, the statement implied religious intolerance in America, where all are free to practice, or refrain from, any religion is comparable to countries where religions not sanctioned by the government are routinely subject to extreme violence and subjugation.

I was merely pointing out the low acceptance of a major scientific theory in America. The treatment of people of different religions is another question entirely.

rojse

RF Addict
The possibility is that maybe theists contribute, but perhaps rarely are they originators of anything helpful... Schools, hospitals, food banks, Mother's Day ----- these are the invention of the religious.

Again, what does this even remotely have to do with the Darwin movie not being shown in America?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Update on OP...

creation_0.thumbnail.jpg
The new film about Darwin, Creation, will be distributed in the United States after all, according to a story in the Hollywood Reporter (September 24, 2009). The film is expected to be released by Newmarket Films in December 2009. Earlier the producer of the film, Jeremy Thomas, lamented to the Telegraph (September 11, 2009), "It has got a deal everywhere else in the world but in the US, and it's because of what the film is about. ... It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America." A few days later, however, NBC Bay Area (September 15, 2009) reported that a distribution deal was imminent.
In her review of Creation at The Panda's Thumb blog, NCSE's executive director Eugenie C. Scott described it as "a thoughtful, well-made film that will change many views of Darwin held by the public — for the good." It also received praise from Steve Jones in Time Out London (September 22, 2009), who called it "a great film about a great man and a greater theory" and by Adam Rutherford in his Guardian blog (September 23, 2009), where he wrote, "we should ... be grateful that this film is moving and beautiful, just like the creation Darwin so luminously untangled," adding, "Creationists the world over deserve to see it."

SOURCE